Vito Blog On Current State Of Men's Basketball

NT80

I really thought that George Odufuwa was going to fill the Big Man role quite well based on his early play. He started strong, but has underperformed as games progressed. I still cannot help but to wonder if he is not 100%. I really don't know who we can turn to... Howerton? Stewart? These guys are more role players... I think Hogans and Tramiel can give good minutes, and Tramiel is probably a 30-35 minute starter as the season progresses, but I'm still not sure they can dominate at the post.... I wish Spencer was eligible this season... at 275Lb he'd be immovable under the basket.

Edited by chrisfisher

This is the key stretch for this team. The West is bunched together...1 game seperating 1 from 7. UALR and ASU are both at 2-1 in conference and they're our next two opponents (and ASU has to travel to Denver before they play us...never a fun trip). ULL is also 2-1, but we have the head-to-head thus far...and they go on the road for two this week.

Win these next two games at UALR, home for ASU and we could be sitting pretty atop the division with our most favorable stretch of the season to follow (home vs. UD, FAU, @FIU, home Troy)...lose and its a mighty big hole to climb out of.

I don't think any of us know what the answers are for this. All of our big guys bring something to the table, but none of them have the whole package. And George hasn't seemed 100% in about three weeks now.

I never thought that the team would be really ready this year. I think that next year is our year. The players we have coming in, plus Knox with a redshirt year, will provide much of what we need in making this a more complete team. I mostly want to see the younger ones this year grow as the season progresses.

I never thought that the team would be really ready this year. I think that next year is our year. The players we have coming in, plus Knox with a redshirt year, will provide much of what we need in making this a more complete team. I mostly want to see the younger ones this year grow as the season progresses.

I don't see what players we have coming in next year solve our problems of not having a inside scoring threat or quarterback point guard.

If your counting on Knox coming in next year and helping us be more complete you will be dissappointed

Im still not giving up on this team...if our big guy Odufuwa can step up his game and get healthy and we play D like we did at times last year we can still win 20 games and have a good run through the conference tourny...i mean we had a 4 point lead on an SEC team in the second half with out Collin Dennis...this team is very talented and i trust Johnny Jones to get us to where we need to be!

Go Mean Green!

I don't see what players we have coming in next year solve our problems of not having a inside scoring threat or quarterback point guard.

I disagree that our most glaring need is a PG. We are missing Wooden BIG TIME. We also need to play better defensively. our defense is not helping our offense as much as it was last year.

I disagree that our most glaring need is a PG. We are missing Wooden BIG TIME. We also need to play better defensively. our defense is not helping our offense as much as it was last year.

Quincy was probably more valuable last year than Keith(who was inured for much of the season).

Edited by CMJ

I'm hoping Cameron Spencer to provide that inside punch , kid looks huge!

Cameron Spencer was recruited by Tubbs and later signed by coach Doh. That, plus the fact that he was also recruited by UNT out of high school, caused me to follow his SMU career closely. Players often transfer when the coach that recruited them leaves.

The following Cameron Spencer story was in the DMN when he was a freshman. I looked but can't find the story on the net anywhere, but this was too good to forget.

Coach Doh's Mustangs were off to a 9-1 start before losing on the road to Oklahoma by 69-42. This was unacceptable to coach Doh. He decided his players weren't tough enough and so he conducted a two and a half hour loose ball practice. The players went after the loose balls with no fouls called. The idea was he would find out who the tough players were. One player suffered a broken nose and another had to have stitches near his eye after the brutal practice.

Cameron Spencer was elevated to the starting line-up for the first time after that practice and scored 4 points and had 10 rebounds in the next game. Coach Doh did not give Spencer another start that season.

Edited by Buford_Julep

You may not, but I do. Spencer is a defensive demon. Jacob Holman is the best big man we have signed out of high school in years and Knox is not nearly as bad as many think. His upside is very good.

Cameron Spencer was recruited by Tubbs and later signed by coach Doh. That, plus the fact that he was also recruited by UNT out of high school, caused me to follow his SMU career closely. Players often transfer when the coach that recruited them leaves.

The following Cameron Spencer story was in the DMN when he was a freshman. I looked but can't find the story on the net anywhere, but this was too good to forget.

Coach Doh's Mustangs were off to a 9-1 start before losing on the road to Oklahoma by 69-42. This was unacceptable to coach Doh. He decided his players weren't tough enough and so he conducted a two and a half hour loose ball practice. The players went after the loose balls with no fouls called. The idea was he would find out who the tough players were. One player suffered a broken nose and another had to have stitches near his eye after the brutal practice.

Cameron Spencer was elevated to the starting line-up for the first time after that practice and scored 4 points and had 10 rebounds in the next game. Coach Doh did not give Spencer another start that season.

SMU, the only Division I athletic program in Dallas, Texas

I always wondered if that forgot about Dallas Baptist's Baseball program?? They are D I and pretty darn good

You may not, but I do. Spencer is a defensive demon. Jacob Holman is the best big man we have signed out of high school in years and Knox is not nearly as bad as many think. His upside is very good.

From all accounts, it may be awhile before Knox is ready to contribute. I hope that Spencer can clog the middle, but I don't recall ever hearing that he is a scoring threat. Holman sounds like a good pickup, but will be in the post or at the 3? Is he a post scorer? Which of these guys is going to run the offense?

From all accounts, it may be awhile before Knox is ready to contribute. I hope that Spencer can clog the middle, but I don't recall ever hearing that he is a scoring threat. Holman sounds like a good pickup, but will be in the post or at the 3? Is he a post scorer? Which of these guys is going to run the offense?

Agreed on Knox. Also agreed that Spencer probably won't contribute too much on the offensive end, however having Spencer in the middle will help make Odufuwa, Tramiel and Hogans better interior offensive threats, all three who have shown flashes of offensive ability. Holman is at best Michael DeGrate/Jermaine Green...at worst Harold Stewart...he's probably best suited for the 3 but will end up playing 4 in JJ's system...either way I think he will end up a very solid 4 year contributor.

As for running the offense, we have offered two point guards...a JUCO transfer named Marcus Brister (6'3" 215) and a freshman named Javarez Willis (5'11" 170)...Willis is an explosive athlete, but one who still has a bit of the score first mentality. Willis has 10 other offers according to Rivals, mostly from area and conference rivals (TCU, SMU, Houston, UTA, USA, ULM). I've heard mixed reviews on Brister...he's a pass first guy, but he's occassionally an old school Jason Williams make the flashy pass first kinda guy which can lead to some bad turnovers...through 10 games at Weatherford College Brister is averaging 12.8ppg, 4.8rpg, 6.2apg and 4.1 turnovers per game...Brister has offers from UNT and Georgia State.

Having missed the last two home games due to "family committments" over the holidays, I can only talk about what i saw before the last two games and what I have read in the papers...I agree with most of the comments here regarding defense...must step it up...play has been sub par at baest...and our "big guys" need to start playing their "size"...too many teams get easy inside baskets...and what happened to UNT's guard play??? Sophomore slump maybe? What gives???

I still believe there will be a good season at UNT this year...maybe not that 20 win season SOME of us (me) expected, but decent and a place in the tournament where any team can get hot and "magic can happen"....season has a long way to go as yet!

GO MEAN GREEN...see you at Saturday's game!