Men's Basketball Recruiting 2009

chrisfisher

I think that we have 4 ships to offer for 2009? I seem to recall that we lost 1 scholarship due to the APR. Could we get one back for 2009? Below is a summary of known players we will lose/gain for 2009:

Gain

Cameron Spencer

Jacob Holmen

Shannon Shorter

Lose

Harold Stewart

Adam McCoy

Justin Howerton

Collin Dennis

We should have at least 1 ship left to offer. 2 if we gain 1 from the APR. Also, we kind of "reactivate" 1 scholarship so to speak with the recent return of Mangrum... that's good news.

Forgot about this one as pointed out by CBL in his Santa JJ thread: Marcus Brister - 6'3" 215lb point guard at Weatherford College. We have an offer to Brister. If we sign him, this could be it for 2009 unless we get one ship back from the APR.

Edited by chrisfisher

Just curious about the whole cameron spencer thing. He came on as a walk-on. When Odufuwa came on he was given a Scholarship his season he sat out, as was Wooden. Are we certain that he is indeed receiving a scholly? Did Jones say it at some point and I missed it, or are we just all assuming that he is going to get one?

Just curious about the whole cameron spencer thing. He came on as a walk-on. When Odufuwa came on he was given a Scholarship his season he sat out, as was Wooden. Are we certain that he is indeed receiving a scholly? Did Jones say it at some point and I missed it, or are we just all assuming that he is going to get one?

We have assumed he will get one. I seriously doubt that Spencer would have left SMU without the prospect of a scholarship. Also, that dude is big. Only 6'8" but he packs a punch. I hope that he will provide some serious post defense... at 278LB, few can move him out of the way.

We have assumed he will get one. I seriously doubt that Spencer would have left SMU without the prospect of a scholarship. Also, that dude is big. Only 6'8" but he packs a punch. I hope that he will provide some serious post defense... at 278LB, few can move him out of the way.

ok, so its not totally out of the question that a scholarsip could go to someone else.

You're right, he is a big dude. I remember when I saw him for the first time, I told the person I was with that he looked like he had a mean streak, too.

ok, so its not totally out of the question that a scholarsip could go to someone else.

You're right, he is a big dude. I remember when I saw him for the first time, I told the person I was with that he looked like he had a mean streak, too.

I'd bet the family farm, if I owned one, that he will get a scholarship.

I added Marcus Brister above.

A few others showing UNT offers per Rivals:

Javarez Willis 5'11" 170 PG from Dallas Pinkston

Jordan Smith 6'3" 175 SG from Paris JC...though I don't think this information is current. Smith was being recruited out of high school by JJ...Smith was at Colleyville Heritage, but ruled inelligible by the UIL, transfered to God's Acadamy, then ruled inelligible by the NCAA. Rivals has him at Paris JC...but he doesn't show up on any of their stats.

Brister, as mentioned, also shows an offer by UNT...I'm backing of slightly on my proposed elation at landing Brister...talking with Cooley the first name out of his mouth in player comparrison was Michael Sturns. Brister likes the showy pass...but he does like the pass and at 6'3" 215 I might take a few "oh s..." moments like I had with Sturns. He's currently averaging almost 13 ppg, 6.5 assists...but also a bit over 4 turnovers per game.

Schools we've lost out on offers to: South Alabama (twice), Ole Miss, Nebraska and Wisconsin-Green Bay.

A few others showing UNT offers per Rivals:

Javarez Willis 5'11" 170 PG from Dallas Pinkston

Jordan Smith 6'3" 175 SG from Paris JC...though I don't think this information is current. Smith was being recruited out of high school by JJ...Smith was at Colleyville Heritage, but ruled inelligible by the UIL, transfered to God's Acadamy, then ruled inelligible by the NCAA. Rivals has him at Paris JC...but he doesn't show up on any of their stats.

Brister, as mentioned, also shows an offer by UNT...I'm backing of slightly on my proposed elation at landing Brister...talking with Cooley the first name out of his mouth in player comparrison was Michael Sturns. Brister likes the showy pass...but he does like the pass and at 6'3" 215 I might take a few "oh s..." moments like I had with Sturns. He's currently averaging almost 13 ppg, 6.5 assists...but also a bit over 4 turnovers per game.

Schools we've lost out on offers to: South Alabama (twice), Ole Miss, Nebraska and Wisconsin-Green Bay.

3 offers out with probably only 1 scholarship. How does that work if all 3 turned out to accept?

3 offers out with probably only 1 scholarship. How does that work if all 3 turned out to accept?

Like I said...I think its really just two so far...I have a hard time believing there is still an offer on the table for Smith. As for multiple guys being offered for one scholarship...I'm not sure, but I do know it happens all the time. My bet is that if Brister signs (and in fact we only have 12 ships) that JJ would pull the offer to Willis...but I'm not sure...I guess you make offers based upon positional need and say you'd be happy landing either Brister or Willis at the point.

Like I said...I think its really just two so far...I have a hard time believing there is still an offer on the table for Smith. As for multiple guys being offered for one scholarship...I'm not sure, but I do know it happens all the time. My bet is that if Brister signs (and in fact we only have 12 ships) that JJ would pull the offer to Willis...but I'm not sure...I guess you make offers based upon positional need and say you'd be happy landing either Brister or Willis at the point.

Am I missing something? Willis, Smith, and Brister make 3 offers. Rivals shows a UNT offer for each player.

I spoke with Vito. He said it was his understanding that when Rich graduated we earned back our scholy. He said to take the number of seniors graduating this year plus 1 for our total scholarships available. If true, then it appears we actually have 5 scholarships for this year.... not bad! Especially, since the cupboard is not bare and will only be enhanced by more top talent.

We have an offer to Jarred Shaw as well don't we? That would be my top target for one of our remaining scholarships if I was Jones.

We have an offer to Jarred Shaw as well don't we? That would be my top target for one of our remaining scholarships if I was Jones.

Recruiting is not my forte, but I checked Rivals and UNT is on his interested list, but it does not show an offer from us (or anyone else).

To summarize then, we have 5 scholarships, 2 of which are definitely taken by new signees and the 3rd is probably taken by Cameron Spencer. That leaves 2 scholarships, and we currently have 3 known offers out. This looks to be a very strong signing class. I am eager to learn who the newest members of the Mean Green will be.