Houston Baptist (12/15/08)

CMJ

Yeah, it's a huge rivalry. Is HBU even D1?

Yep. Apparently they used to be D1, then left, and only recently decided to become D1 again. But yes, they are a D1 Independent.

Edited by chrisfisher

Yep. Apparently they used to be D1, then left, and only recently decided to become D1 again. But yes, they are a D1 Independent.

They are a member of the Great West conference, but apparently will not begin conference play this year and are playing as an independent. In fact the Great West Conference may not have yet begun play as a conference, the web sites are not clear and I haven't found any conference standings. Plus, the conference standings on ESPN.go.com show all the conference members as independents. Heckuva conference, including a school in New Jersey another in Utah a couple in Texas and more.

Whatever, their record is 0-9.

They are a member of the Great West conference, but apparently will not begin conference play this year and are playing as an independent. In fact the Great West Conference may not have yet begun play as a conference, the web sites are not clear and I haven't found any conference standings. Plus, the conference standings on ESPN.go.com show all the conference members as independents. Heckuva conference, including a school in New Jersey another in Utah a couple in Texas and more.

Whatever, their record is 0-9.

I was wondering about that. If you look at the schedule of fellow D1 independent Cal State Bakersfield, it's clear that they're headed for the Big West (the never ending stopover for transient D2 to D1 teams). Houston Baptist seems to be playing anyone and anywhere that they can get a game.

This is another game that we have to do away with if we want to be considered seriously for post season tournaments. Either that or we need to win the conference tournament every year.

That is kind of a fallacy you know. I'm only going to count D2 school wins here okay.

MTSU played Trevecca Nazarene & SIU-Edwardsville

WKU played Campbellsville

FIU played West Georgia

ASU played Lyon & Central Baptist

ULL played Louisiana College

We of course played Cameron.

So nearly half the league had a D2 game. Now if you want me to count cellar dwellar types like a Houston Baptist - then nearly everyone school in the Belt plays one(hell UNO, USA, and MTSU all played that same school).

That is kind of a fallacy you know. I'm only going to count D2 school wins here okay.

MTSU played Trevecca Nazarene & SIU-Edwardsville

WKU played Campbellsville

FIU played West Georgia

ASU played Lyon & Central Baptist

ULL played Louisiana College

We of course played Cameron.

So nearly half the league had a D2 game. Now if you want me to count cellar dwellar types like a Houston Baptist - then nearly everyone school in the Belt plays one(hell UNO, USA, and MTSU all played that same school).

Wins against low D1 and non D1 schools either don't count or hurt a team when they are being considered for the post season. Playing those games are fine when a team is trying to build up from the bottom and needs "sure wins", but I like to think that UNT is past that now and can move on. I'm fine with the exhibition against a cupcake as a tune up, but unless these games propel UNT to dominate conference and win the conference tournament, then they don't serve a purpose. The incredibly weak OOC schedules we play do nothing to help us and often hurt our chances to get an at large or make the NIT.

Wins against low D1 and non D1 schools either don't count or hurt a team when they are being considered for the post season. Playing those games are fine when a team is trying to build up from the bottom and needs "sure wins", but I like to think that UNT is past that now and can move on. I'm fine with the exhibition against a cupcake as a tune up, but unless these games propel UNT to dominate conference and win the conference tournament, then they don't serve a purpose. The incredibly weak OOC schedules we play do nothing to help us and often hurt our chances to get an at large or make the NIT.

I'm sorry, but is still WKU building? :P