Who Do You Think Wins The Heisman?

UNTLifer

I think Bradford will win it, and he's pretty deserving. McCoy should win, and I'm basing that on his entire performance this year. Bradford is a good choice too, however. Tebow should not be in the conversation this year due to his stats IMO, but he's certainly a great college QB.

I don't know who will win (i would bet on mccoy), but I would triple play Tebow not winning it twice (at least not this year). Tebow will be compared to Archie Griffin (not even close) by the voters and decide he wasn't as good as him, casting their vote for one of the others. Also, the voters will take in to account the fact that Tebow could have another year and eventually become the first three time Heisman winner if he were to win this year. Not to mention he didn't have as good as a year as either of the other two and his numbers were lower than last year.

Guest GrayEagleOne

McCoy should and I'm not ruling out that he won't. Bradford is the better passer (although McCoy had the better completion percentage this year). McCoy is the better combination runner/passer. Tebow had half the passing yardage of Bradford and slighlty less rushing yards than McCoy. It shouldn't be his year.

There's too much politics and press influincing the Heisman; but that's pretty true for any award.

Graham Harrel got shafted.

Bradford wins it.

I hate tech, but I think your right. Harrel got left out, even if he didn't stand a chance to win. I guess qbs that successfully run the spread are only system qbs. Gotta love the spread, and I do mean offense.

Edited by filmerj

I hate tech, but I think your right. Harrel got left out, even if he didn't stand a chance to win. I guess qbs that successfully run the spread are only system qbs. Gotta love the spread, and I do mean offense.

I watched all three in person this year and I think McCoy is the clear choice. Harrell falls apart with any pressure and just dinks and dunks bubble screens down the field. Since his scheme is so superior to the ordinary defenses he mostly faces, the numbers are there. He's not a bad quarterback, but you could put a number of guys in that system

Bradford is a great player, but he is not forced to make as much happen as Colt. Watching Colt escape and make plays with his arms and legs has converted even this Texas hater. The record setting completion percentage with fewer weapons than Bradford plus the rushing yards and throws he makes after escaping pressure make me think he deserves it.

Bradford is going to be the best pro, but my non-existent vote is sadly similar to Texas Douche's.

The Heisman committee invited the top 3 finishers to the ceremony. How did Harrell get shafted. I agree he had a spectacular year, but he WAS NOT AMONG THE TOP THREE. The Heisman trophy is an award that too much importance is put into. Remember Andre Ware, Ty Detmer, Gino Torretta, Charle Ward, Rashann Salaam, Danny Wuerffel, Ron Dayne, Chris Weinke, Eric Crouch and Jason White.

None were stars in the NFL and Ty Detmer had the longest pro career and he was a lifetime back up. The Heisman is more of a hinderance to success that a help.

With that said, I hope Colt McCoy of Texas wins the award.

The Heisman committee invited the top 3 finishers to the ceremony. How did Harrell get shafted. I agree he had a spectacular year, but he WAS NOT AMONG THE TOP THREE. The Heisman trophy is an award that too much importance is put into. Remember Andre Ware, Ty Detmer, Gino Torretta, Charle Ward, Rashann Salaam, Danny Wuerffel, Ron Dayne, Chris Weinke, Eric Crouch and Jason White.

None were stars in the NFL and Ty Detmer had the longest pro career and he was a lifetime back up. The Heisman is more of a hinderance to success that a help.

Isn't there a name for this Heisman Curse?

Here's a few quotes from McCoy at the Home Depot thing yesterday:

Q: The Heisman finalists this year are Big 12 quarterbacks and Tim Tebow. What do you think of Tebow?

McCoy: I think he's a great leader. I like how his teammates respond to him. He gets the job done. Unfortunately, I don't get to watch a lot of their games, but he's the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, so he's got to be pretty stinking good.

Q: Pretty stinking good?

McCoy: Pretty stinking good. That's what we say back in Texas. But I'm honored I get to go up to New York with him.

Q: What about your running this season? Is that something you worked on in the off-season?

McCoy: It was something I learned the importance of in the off-season. Coach (Mack) Brown and Coach (Greg) Davis kept pounding on me that my ability to make a play with my feet helps the offense, helps keep the chains moving. So I think early on in the season I understood the importance of it, and then I learned to like it. If a play broke down, I realized I could make 5 or 6 yards. As I got further along in the season, my coaches felt more comfortable calling the quarterback draw or the quarterback counter or zone read more and more, so I ended up leading the team in rushing. That was something I would have never thought in the beginning of the year, but it's all about what the defense tells you to do. I just tried to take care of the football. That's one thing I learned from last year, and it's paid off.

Q: Have you let yourself think about the Heisman Trophy and what it might mean to you?

McCoy: I don't think about it much, especially during the season. I just wanted to win. That's the ultimate goal for a quarterback. That was my goal. It's harder on my teammates. They want it so bad. They tell me we're going to put it on our rings if we win our bowl game. It's one of those things that when you're around your teammates in the locker room, they talk about it more, so you end up thinking about it. But I told them when I left to come here, 'This trip is a reflection of you guys, and it's an honor for me to be representing you all up here. That's how I feel and they know that.

Q: Are you surprised Graham Harrell didn't get invited to the Heisman ceremony?

McCoy: Graham's a great quarterback. They won 11 games. He made a great drive against us to win. I don't know how it all works. This is my first go-around. So I'm excited to be invited.

Q: Last week, Tim Tebow and Sam Bradford were still playing. Do you feel like you got dealt a bad hand in this thing?

McCoy: I left it all out on the field. I did what I could all year, and it's out of my hands now. It was unfortunate I didn't get to play in that last game. I would have loved to take my team to the Big 12 championship. That was a goal. But in the end, the system didn't allow it. I felt like all season long we did what we could do. I'm excited to be in the position we are, and who knows what the future holds.

Edited by LongJim

sam bradford. the numbers are big.

Not sure I follow your arguement. The Heisman is an award for the top collegiate player in a given year, not a predictor for future success. How would winning the Heisman hinder future success?