Buffalo's Turner Gill.........coach Of The Year?

FirefightnRick

Without his own senior class, Turner Gill just brought the bulls back from the dead in his third year by winning their conference championship tonight, beating undefeated Ball State 42-24. Since returning to full D IA status in 1999, UB was a combined 17-86. Tonight they finished their amazing turnaround at 8-5 and will play in the Motor City Bowl. To me, this was simply incredible considering where they are located. To me, this would nearly be equivalent to North Texas having our club hockey program move up to NCAA D IA and winning our conference in only a few years.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Without his own senior class, Turner Gill just brought the bulls back from the dead in his third year by winning their conference championship tonight, beating undefeated Ball State 42-24. Since returning to full D IA status in 1999, UB was a combined 17-86. Tonight they finished their amazing turnaround at 8-5 and will play in the Motor City Bowl. To me, this was simply incredible considering where they are located. To me, this would nearly be equivalent to North Texas having our club hockey program move up to NCAA D IA and winning our conference in only a few years.

Rick

Wonder if Ball State is wishing they would have accepted that bid to play Boise State now?

Rick

Turner Gill was a Grad Asst at NT. We had Bill Snyder here once as an assistant also, and Steve Kragthorpe. We're like the Rangers with players they once had in their system.

Buffalo has done very well in a short period of time.

They have a renovated stadium that seats about 30,000 which was built for the World University Games, which were held in Buffalo in 1993. The stadium was paid for by the City of Buffalo

Oh, and having a student athletics fee which contributes $7 million every year doesn't hurt either. That's $337.25 per year for each full time student, well over what North Texas students will potentially be paying after the completion of the proposed stadium.

*Intercollegiate athletics receives from each full-time student 19% of the $887.50 per semester University at Buffalo Comprehensive Fee: $168.50 per semester, or $337.25 per year.

Funny, North Texas funds it's athletics at $3 per credit hour and people are confused why they're not competitive with schools like Buffalo.

I'd vote : Gill , Paul Johnson @ GT or Derrick Dooley @ LaTech

We have so much more to offer than Buffalo , there's no excuse to have any mid major school anywhere on the east coast to have a better team than a mid major school in the heart of FOOTBALL NATION

Talk about changing systems , Johnson and the YellowJackets look damn good in his "system". So much for the arguement that we need so called players for a so called coach in a so called system.

LaTech's.... how is there situation worse than ours ? Dooley and Co. go 7-5 this year with some impressive wins this year over Miss St and Fresno

Tell me again what the excuses are why we suck so bad ??

Edited by NT03

Denver is a national power house in collegiate hockey so I doubt we would be able to win hockey in a few years

Denver doesn't play Hockey in the Sunbelt Conference. But I think you know what I meant. Besides, I said "Nearly Equivalent". I can see someone posting something similar about Buffalo over on the Marshall fan message board in 1999 when Marshall finished 13-0 and atop the MAC conference, while Buffalo was rounding out their 0-11 season. In 2005, Toledo went 9-3 and beat UTEP 45-13 in the GMAC bowl while Buffalo finished the season 1-10 so I could see something similar on their board also.

Rick

Denver doesn't play Hockey in the Sunbelt Conference. But I think you know what I meant. Besides, I said "Nearly Equivalent". I can see someone posting something similar about Buffalo over on the Marshall fan message board in 1999 when Marshall finished 13-0 and atop the MAC conference, while Buffalo was rounding out their 0-11 season. In 2005, Toledo went 9-3 and beat UTEP 45-13 in the GMAC bowl while Buffalo finished the season 1-10 so I could see something similar on their board also.

Rick

I know.. I just felt like being difficult tonight

Gill definately has my vote. Congrats to him and Buffalo, feel bad for Ball State though, they had a great season and they are a better team than that loss.

Also the City of Buffalo paid for their new stadium, does anyone think that can happen in the City of Denton, oh thats right the city takes for granted that UNT even puts Denton on the map....

City of Denton minus UNT equals the equivalent of the City of Decatur or Gainesville.

Edited by UNT_playmaker

I don't like the guy but it's crazy not to have Nick Saban as one of the front runners. In just his second year he may win a national title and just remember that they lost to ULM last year and look at them this year. It is not very often you can go through a regular season undefeated in the SEC.

Other guys I would include atleast in a discussion is Mike Leach, David Bailif, and Duke's HC.

Edited by Green Mean

Gill definately has my vote. Congrats to him and Buffalo, feel bad for Ball State though, they had a great season and they are a better team than that loss.

Also the City of Buffalo paid for their new stadium, does anyone think that can happen in the City of Denton, oh thats right the city takes for granted that UNT even puts Denton on the map....

City of Denton minus UNT equals the equivalent of the City of Decatur or Gainesville.

What? Several thousand alumni in DFW who don't care, so you think the City of Denton should pick up the tab? I am a tax payer here, and no way I support that. Denton certainly does not owe UNT anything like a football stadium. Again, go to the square on a gameday here, and ask ten people to tell you who North Texas is playing. If you think one, I think you are overestimating the impact of UNT football on this city. They would not know, and nine of them would not know there was a game in town. Restraunts nor hotels have any noticeable increase in business when there is a game in town, even homecoming weekend. Got news for you, a new stadium is not going to change that. Here is an idea, why don't we (the alumni) quit waiting for a hand-out, have some pride, and do it ourselves. Then, maybe people (corporate sponsors, the city, etc.) will see we are helping ourselves, then will help. This includes attending games and donating, which a million dollars to the MGC for a school this size is laughable. The next thing is somebody will suggest that we go to Washington for a bail out.

Edited by Green Dozer

Bryant Coach of the Year Award...This list was formed back in November, still hard to believe that Gill isn't even in the top 20?

Rick

Rick,

You are right. However, its probably because they have a top notch SID like us who works getting the story out. :blink: Am I being sarcastic, yes. But, the SID should have put Gill's and Buffalo's story to every newspaper in the nation. I know you know the SID here, and he has been around Denton since at least the early 80's. He was the SID here during the championship run, and he is a big reason that the only people that really knew about our run was the 15,000 or so that regularly attended games. He has this job, and not his old job at the Record Chronicle, because of the good old boy network. He is comfy and LAZY, and I bet Buffalo's SID is some has been to.