The Week Is Up.

Aquila_Viridis

I read Vito's article and the comments on this board and on DRC. The discussion is like people arguing what weight oil to use in a car that is going off a cliff. Our university has failed to announce any commitment to athletics. The comments about apathetic alumni beg the question, why? It's because the school administration does not have or offer a vision. The vast alumni base is not going to magically all develop interest on their own. This school thinks the cart will pull the horse.

I have had several years of frustration watching this school miss the boat. In the face of such a pitiful experience, this administration acts like nothing is happening. Frankly it gives me a sick feeling in my stomach, a lot. I can't stand any more of that feeling. I'm turning my back on this, for good. Some of you will say 'good riddance'. To those: you are part of the problem.

Bye Bye, and BOL to you if you're going to start following smu, TCU, TT, UT or whomever. Rabidly following North Texas is not for everyone, and it's pretty much like having a woody for climbing Mount Everest. No matter how many blizzards, rock slides, or other obstacles you may encounter, you just have to keep on pushing forward. There really is no other choice if you are ever going to have a chance of reaching that promised land of big-time athletic accomplishment. And as MLK said, "I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight, that we, as a (Mean Green) people, will get to the promised land." You just gotta keep hope alive if you're gonna follow the Mean Green. :D

I think every Mean Green fan should be entitled to "one farewell post" per year for each year they have been a fan. A fan for 10 years = 10 farewell posts allowed in a single calendar year. You can use these in conjunction with each football loss, or drug test result published in the DMN, or for every month that goes by with no stadium info., whatever you prefer. :)

I think every Mean Green fan should be entitled to "one farewell post" per year for each year they have been a fan. A fan for 10 years = 10 farewell posts allowed in a single calendar year. You can use these in conjunction with each football loss, or drug test result published in the DMN, or for every month that goes by with no stadium info., whatever you prefer. :)

It seems only fair that when someone gives their second farewell post in a year, it should have "I'm really leaving this time" somewhere in it.

We need every fan we can get....

Every single person who finds time to post and read posts about our school is entitled to their opinions on the board.

He is frustrated, we all are frustrated, but we just got to hope things get better and fast....

This is the worst season in the football program's history, there will be frustration and people leaving the program, we need to persaude them to come back.

I agree with him that the UNT adminstration hasn't done much to support athletics in recent years. Alot of people do see that, maybe it might be the reason we are in this mess.

Ya'know,

I've always believed that if you walk away from something that's real important to you....then it must not have been that important in the first place. I also believe that if you walk away from a group (social or otherwise), political organization etc without giving them an ear-full, then the people you're mad at/discouraged with, will go on with life thinking that they've been doing things right, and that everyone is happy. People who are in charge of big things, and organizations, tend to think that they are infallible, and that they are somehow entitled to their position. I like to remind them that "It ain't necessarily so"*.

Write letters to the AD, Dr. B, and the BOR. Post comments on Vito's blog and/or regular sports reports. Go to athletic events, and when you see RV, let him know your are unhappy with how things are. For that matter, send them all e-mails.

And finally, you might show up to Fouts next year and take advantage of how close the coaching staff (and the AD) is to the fans.....before they build a new stadium and everyone goes up to their respective suites on the elevator(s). It will also help if you are a MGC member and hold season tickets.

*Music and lyrics by George and Ira Gershwin

Edited by SilverEagle

Guest GrayEagleOne

http://www.unt.edu/president/insider/oct08spe

I'm not sure what Aquila Viridis is looking for in way of a statement in support of UNT athletics but see if the above fits the need.

I've talked to several in the know who have assured me that there is a limitation to what the university can do or say regarding athletics. There were alternate plans for the stadium in place, for instance, should the referendum have failed. We have not been abandoned. The administration does support athletics but is not as vocal as some of us would like.

Let's see how the stadium progresses and what progress is made next football season before we turn our backs on the program. None of the good things ever move as fast or as frequently as we'd like. Traveling the road to success is not a dash; it is an arduous painstaking journey.

Note: Sorry, I wasn't able to cut and paste the reference. If you can access the presiden'ts newletter, please note the last phrase of the first paragraph where it talked about "strengthening our commitment to the athletic program."

Edited by GrayEagleOne

http://www.unt.edu/president/insider/oct08spe

I'm not sure what Aquila Viridis is looking for in way of a statement in support of UNT athletics but see if the above fits the need.

I've talked to several in the know who have assured me that there is a limitation to what the university can do or say regarding athletics. There were alternate plans for the stadium in place, for instance, should the referendum have failed. We have not been abandoned. The administration does support athletics but is not as vocal as some of us would like.

Let's see how the stadium progresses and what progress is made next football season before we turn our backs on the program. None of the good things ever move as fast or as frequently as we'd like. Traveling the road to success is not a dash; it is an arduous painstaking journey.

Jack, more than once I've compared true North Texas fans to the children of Isreal who wandered in the desert before arriving at the promised land.

And while that certainly builds a lot of character, I sure am tired of wandering. And my feet sure do hurt. :(

And finally, you might show up to Fouts next year and take advantage of how close the coaching staff (and the AD) is to the fans.....before they build a new stadium and everyone goes up to their respective suites on the elevator(s).

I assume you mean the steps up to the pressbox. LOL. :D It's like them walking a guantlet; you can see the apprehensive looks on the visiting coaches as they walk up thru the crowd, and the home coaches and RV too when we're not doing well...like the last four years! They are all easily within earshot of a comment or two. :rolleyes:

I have had several years of frustration watching this school miss the boat. In the face of such a pitiful experience, this administration acts like nothing is happening. Frankly it gives me a sick feeling in my stomach, a lot. I can't stand any more of that feeling. I'm turning my back on this, for good. Some of you will say 'good riddance'. To those: you are part of the problem.

Look what your goodbye has done to these two :(

21.jpgYouMakeDawsonSad.jpg

I hope you're happy with yourself.

I read Vito's article and the comments on this board and on DRC. The discussion is like people arguing what weight oil to use in a car that is going off a cliff. Our university has failed to announce any commitment to athletics. The comments about apathetic alumni beg the question, why? It's because the school administration does not have or offer a vision. The vast alumni base is not going to magically all develop interest on their own. This school thinks the cart will pull the horse.

You know, this is one of the best posts I have seen all year, because it sums up the situation so succinctly it is ridonkulous. I am a proud alumnus, but the apathy at UNT is truly pathetic. How many people really care...considering a school of this size??? Certainly not the administration...

You offer a valid perspective, but I have seen Dr. B mention commitment ot athletics in emails I have received from her (alumni listserv?). Would that not qualify as an announcement of commitment?