New Mexico State 12/6/08

CMJ

Tramiel 16 points and 9 boards in 22 minutes....very impressive.

Tristan and Collin were both great, as well.

And even though he played only 7 minutes....Howerton gave us some really quality minutes. 4 boards in those 7 minutes.

Great wins by both teams tonight.

gmg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So McCoy makes both shots he attempts, both 3's, has no turnovers and only gets 6 minutes......

I know there is a couple of people that have a lot of love for Adam McCoy, but look what TT and CD did in their minutes. They aren't exactly sucking.

In my opinion I want to see TT, Odufuwa, Hogans, and White get as much PT. They are not on ly going to help us win this year, but they will be the nucleus of what could be our best team since I've been alive. They have the talent to make a long postseason run.

I know there is a couple of people that have a lot of love for Adam McCoy, but look what TT and CD did in their minutes. They aren't exactly sucking.

In my opinion I want to see TT, Odufuwa, Hogans, and White get as much PT. They are not on ly going to help us win this year, but they will be the nucleus of what could be our best team since I've been alive. They have the talent to make a long postseason run.

I just got home and looked at the stats...Looks like Eric, Dominique, Triston, and Collin had fantastic games!!! Hogans also put up 6 points on 50% shooting, 4 rebounds, and 1 block in 17 minutes... nice! I've been calling on Eric and Hogans to get more minutes... it looks like Eric did, but I am still amazed that Hogans has not... he is ferocious defender and one of the most accurate shooters on the team. It also looks like White had a horrible game... 2 points, 1 assist and 5 TO's. I noticed his minutes got cut too... I've been very concerned about White. He is a talented player, but I fear that his trying to become a "true point guard" hurts the best part of his game: getting to the basket and scoring. White looks like he is running on slow right now...very timid.... he was faster and more accurate his freshman season. I really like White, and I hope that whatever funk he is in ends soon. We really need him.

Overall nice win!! I was concerned about this game and glad to see the "W".

Edited by chrisfisher

I just got home and looked at the stats...Looks like Eric, Dominique, Triston, and Collin had fantastic games!!! Hogans also put up 6 points on 50% shooting, 4 rebounds, and 1 block in 17 minutes... nice! I've been calling on Eric and Hogans to get more minutes... it looks like Eric did, but I am still amazed that Hogans has not... he is ferocious defender and one of the most accurate shooters on the team. It also looks like White had a horrible game... 2 points, 1 assist and 5 TO's. I noticed his minutes got cut too... I've been very concerned about White. He is a talented player, but I fear that his trying to become a "true point guard" hurts the best part of his game: getting to the basket and scoring. White looks like he is running on slow right now...very timid.... he was faster and more accurate his freshman season. I really like White, and I hope that whatever funk he is in ends soon. We really need him.

Overall nice win!! I was concerned about this game and glad to see the "W".

I just watched the replay of the first half.... White looked much quicker tonight... the press didn't seem to bother him near as much... I'll have to watch the second half tomorrow to see how the rest of the game went, especially with White.

Tramiel was a beast in the second half, getting in among the Aggie bigs for some tough offensive and defensive rebounds.

I really think Josh will be OK, just a little lacking in direction right now. I was impressed for the most part on our breaking of their press.

Was Odufuwa hurt? He started to come in late in the 2nd half and seemed to be limping quite a bit and went back to the bench.

Tramiel was a beast in the second half, getting in among the Aggie bigs for some tough offensive and defensive rebounds.

I really think Josh will be OK, just a little lacking in direction right now. I was impressed for the most part on our breaking of their press.

Was Odufuwa hurt? He started to come in late in the 2nd half and seemed to be limping quite a bit and went back to the bench.

Tramiel was be really good player for us. I wish he had more time with the team. As far as Odufuwa, I sure hope that he isn't injured. That is a position we can least afford an injury.

I'm watching the 2nd half this morning... man, Dominique continues in this game to come up with some sweet assists.... some no look passes under the basket, behind the back under the basket, driving hard to basket and dishing out at the last second, etc. nice!! These are the kind of assists we REALLY need!

If Triston can keep up the hot streak into conference play, the sky is the limit for this team. We just need one of our guards to consistently take charge and produce big points each game.... it might be Triston... maybe Dennis, but hopefully some will consistently step up.

So McCoy makes both shots he attempts, both 3's, has no turnovers and only gets 6 minutes......

He definitely deserved to at least take off the warm-ups in the second half...but finding him significant time last night would've been tough with the way Collin and TT were playing.

Josh's play...and JJ's decision to keep Josh on the floor down the stretch bugged the hell out of me last night. 0-7, 1 assist, 5 turnovers earns you the most minutes? And clutch minutes? Even when Dominique had another really solid floor game? At the under 8 timeout JJ took Dominique out...didn't put him back in until under a minute after Josh committed back to back turnovers...yet he went in for Tristan. In my eyes he hasn't done anything this season that would merit him earning significantly more time than anyone else in the backcourt rotation. I felt at the under 8, Josh should've gotten 2 minutes to spell Dom for the stretch...I know JJ is just trying to help Josh find his confidence, but it nearly cost us another game late.

Aside from the Josh dilemma...I was pretty happy with the minute distribution, especially up front. Howerton did what he can...I was even quite impressed with the mid-range jumper off the pick and roll he knocked down...but 7-10 minutes is about all you can expect from him. I do hope George's achilles is ok...that would be a huge blow.

We always seem to play to the level of our competition, instead of playing at our level, this worries me. Also, in regards to white, I feel sometimes you have to let players who are struggling, fight through it, and hope your team mates pick you up. I think it instills a confidence in teammates around you.

He definitely deserved to at least take off the warm-ups in the second half...but finding him significant time last night would've been tough with the way Collin and TT were playing.

Josh's play...and JJ's decision to keep Josh on the floor down the stretch bugged the hell out of me last night. 0-7, 1 assist, 5 turnovers earns you the most minutes? And clutch minutes? Even when Dominique had another really solid floor game? At the under 8 timeout JJ took Dominique out...didn't put him back in until under a minute after Josh committed back to back turnovers...yet he went in for Tristan. In my eyes he hasn't done anything this season that would merit him earning significantly more time than anyone else in the backcourt rotation. I felt at the under 8, Josh should've gotten 2 minutes to spell Dom for the stretch...I know JJ is just trying to help Josh find his confidence, but it nearly cost us another game late.

Aside from the Josh dilemma...I was pretty happy with the minute distribution, especially up front. Howerton did what he can...I was even quite impressed with the mid-range jumper off the pick and roll he knocked down...but 7-10 minutes is about all you can expect from him. I do hope George's achilles is ok...that would be a huge blow.

Ya, Dominique had a 6/1 assist to turnover ratio. He is making a strong case for himself to play more minutes at the point. I hope JJ is watching.

Went to the game last night. Felt good to be back at the Pit. Give me that over a football game at Fouts any day. It was a little frustrating to see us not blow the doors off NMSU. Just using the eyeball test, we looked like a better team and maybe a little deeper overall. But hey, I'll take a win everytime over the Aggies.

Things that stood out to me.

We play good defense when we need to.....stopped mini-runs all night to stay in front. Playing smothering defense over the final 27.1 was promising.

McCoy....how did he not get more minutes?? Kid has no fear to shoot it from deep and seems to play smart at both ends. No turnovers last night.

Johnson....I like him a lot, he can stroke it and takes care of the basketball....good ball-handlers can help you win tight games like last night.

Tristan Thompson.....keep doing exactly what you have been doing over the past few weeks. If we get that on a consistent basis, we could be the best team in the SBC west.

Josh White might have played his worst game in a NT uniform....and we still won. Good he got that out of his system, now he can go back to being great.

Crowd?? A little light for my liking, but it is nearing the holidays and it is North Texas....although it was good to meet Tasty and Ms. Tasty, good people. Look forward to actually taking in a game with them the entire time. Next time, not bringing the girl. An act of congress to get her to agree to come along. Can't wait to head back for the UTA game.

Edited by Green Guy Bass

Nice to be 6-2. We started 4 sophs and 1 jr. NMSU also started no seniors. We seemed deeper than NMSU but they took advantage of our lulls in defense. Their 7-foot freshman will be a stud with a year or two experience. Kansas only beat them by 21 so we are 19 points away from being Kansas. :D

Nice to be 6-2. We started 4 sophs and 1 jr. NMSU also started no seniors. We seemed deeper than NMSU but they took advantage of our lulls in defense. Their 7-foot freshman will be a stud with a year or two experience. Kansas only beat them by 21 so we are 19 points away from being Kansas. :D

One thing I noticed about their 7 footer...

For a freshman, he displayed a lot of knowledge of where he was supposed to be and defensive and offensive positioning. He also barked at his teammates several times when they were out of position and missed defensive assignments.