Interesting Notes From Tonights Show

I was glad to hear we've got 22 ships to offer and Dodge said it was going to probably be made up of 16 HS & 6 Jucos with an even split 11/11 on the offense/defensive side of the ball. It sounded like we've got a few more jucos close to signing than the 2 that have been announced (as long as they come through like Dodge was saying) Also is Dec 12th the early signing period for Jucos?

I was glad to hear we've got 22 ships to offer and Dodge said it was going to probably be made up of 16 HS & 6 Jucos with an even split 11/11 on the offense/defensive side of the ball. It sounded like we've got a few more jucos close to signing than the 2 that have been announced (as long as they come through like Dodge was saying) Also is Dec 12th the early signing period for Jucos?

Great news...at the start of the 08 season it was believed we would have between 12 and 17 ships.

I still wonder why everyone thinks that the offensive line is such a need area. Yes, they got their butts handed to them in a few games like against Troy, but overall IMO they were probably the best performing unit on the team unless you count running back as an unit. They had a lot of injuries but still performed comparatively well. They are not undersized as some have used as a theme with the exception of Gill. But guess what, Gill beat out a lot of around 300lb linemen to start. Next year they will have back all five starters plus a number of redshirt players. Menard, Santiago, Johnson, Bailey, Freely, Hollovay, Gill and Drake have all started multiple games. Hopefully add to that Tomlison and Jenkins, who both had health issues last year, and you have the deepest unit on the squad. All these players with the exception of Gill are in the 300 lb area. Yes they could use a couple of more solid players, but compared to other parts of the team, the offensive line is in great shape.

The defensive line is a definite need area, NT will have lots of returning bodies but, with the exception of Gilmore, no one else has stepped up. I think de could be alright with a healty Gilmore at one end. Surely out of Cole, Sykes, Russo, Stewart, Brown, and Owusu-Heming, NT can find a couple who will upgrade their games and be at least adequate players. Defensive tackle was the biggest problem last year and althought both Ross and Desoto looked better in the last few games, there is currently no one on the team who has demonstrated they can consistently perform even at the Sun Belt level. I think Franklin may be much better fitted as an offensive lineman. Canly and Hawthorne are unproven and I don't expect much more than maybe some backup duty from them. Scoggins has had two years to learn the position and hopefully can contribute more next season. Krider unless he gains a lot of strenght doesn't seem to fit in the interior line.

Edited by GrandGreen

I still wonder why everyone thinks that the offensive line is such a need area. Yes, they got their butts handed to them in a few games like against Troy, but overall IMO they were probably the best performing unit on the team unless you count running back as an unit. They had a lot of injuries but still performed comparatively well. They are not undersized as some have used as a theme with the exception of Gill. But guess what, Gill beat out a lot of around 300lb linemen to start. Next year they will have back all five starters plus a number of redshirt players. Menard, Santiago, Johnson, Bailey, Freely, Hollovay, Gill and Drake have all started multiple games. Hopefully add to that Tomlison and Jenkins, who both had health issues last year, and you have the deepest unit on the squad. All these players with the exception of Gill are in the 300 lb area. Yes they could use a couple of more solid players, but compared to other parts of the team, the offensive line is in great shape.

The defensive line is a definite need area, NT will have lots of returning bodies but, with the exception of Gilmore, no one else has stepped up. I think de could be alright with a healty Gilmore at one end. Surely out of Cole, Sykes, Russo, Stewart, Brown, and Owusu-Heming, NT can find a couple who will upgrade their games and be at least adequate players. Defensive tackle was the biggest problem last year and althought both Ross and Desoto looked better in the last few games, there is currently no one on the team who has demonstrated they can consistly perform even at the Sun Belt level. I think Franklin may be much better fitted as an offensive lineman. Canly and Hawthorne are unproven and I don't expect much more than maybe some backup duty from them. Scoggins has had two years to learn the position and hopefully can contribute more next season. Krider unless he gains a lot of strenght doesn't seem to fit in the interior line.

Couldn't have said it better myself

But guess what, Gill beat out a lot of around 300lb linemen to start.

Thank you for pointing that out. I have read several posts implying that Gill is a weak link on the offensive line. There are several BCS teams which have comparably undersized lineman somewhere on the line, and it has not hurt them. Personally, I have been impressed with Gill's play.

there is currently no one on the team who has demonstrated they can consistly perform even at the Sun Belt level.

Yes there is.

2007: One of only five three-year lettermen on defense ... Led the team in tackles (48) amongst all returning defensive players in 2007 ... Saw action in all 12 games in 2007, including six starts ... Posted a season-high 8.5 tackles against Louisiana-Lafayette including two tackles for a loss, and a sack ... Forced fumble against the Ragin’ Cajuns which was converted into a touchdown.

Rick

What has Dodge said regarding lineman?

I have not heard anything, which is concerning. This is no secret. Everyone and their parents can figure out where we are lacking, and it is no crime to explain where your efforts will be in the prep hunt.

Look about half way down when Vito mentions recruiting. They breakdown the JUCO positions they are targeting

To clarify, I am curious what or if Dodge has verbally discussed his evaluation of the lineman, and his plan of attack on the recruiting trail. How would he have done the first couple years of recruiting knowing what he does now?

Anything would be interesting to hear. Reading a Vito list of kids they're targeting does not tell me anything about the coach's thought process.