Great Game

eulesseagle

I was impressed with the total team effort today.

The offensive line looked strong and was able to push ASU away from the line of scrimage.

The defense played its best all season and looks as though it is becoming a unit.

After sitting through all the home games except one this team has gotten better game by game. As for those who only read the sports articles or only look at the box scores it is obviously difficult for you to see, first hand, the improvement.

Coach Dodge is playing with one of the youngest teams in school history and yes NT only won one game this year but has an "excellent" nucleus for next year.

I have 100% faith in Coach Deloach and his defense for next year. He was the architect for one of the better defenses that UNT had under Coach Dickey and was hired away by UCLA......which did beat top ranked USC. Now Coach Deloach is back and we can all expect that our defense will improve with the added year experience of the freshmen and sophmores.

Our coaches have a lot to sell the new recruits about our program and I have 100% faith that Coach Dodge and his staff will bring in another excellent recruiting class.

For anyone to sell this program short has swallowed too many "poison pills" that has, IMHO, obscured your judgement or you just have not attended the games and to look at the team objectively from week to week. There is much more to observe than a sport's writers article and just looking at statistics in the sport's page.

I am with you Euless Eagle. I do think we have a good core returning. If we get a good number of JC's that can contribute added to the current mix, this could bring the mean back in the Mean Green. I appreciate your optimism, and I just hope there are others out there who support the team as well.

GMG

We were so close. If not for a couple of costly special teams miscues (no surprise), we probably win today.

I am most concerned about losing Fitz. He is far and away our most explosive player and I don't expect to see a player of his calibre on this team for some time.

I'm not sure I agree. Who would have thought we would have found Fitzgerald as a key player so quickly after Johnnie Quinn. The

talent may just not have risen to the top, or maybe we get a key Jc player. Talent is just around the corner. He sure was a nice player, though. That you are

correct about.

Well I will agree the defense played lights out today. If the ST had any play at all, we would have won today. I really don't understand the squib kick at the end of the first half when you have a 15mph wind at your back and have already kicked it out of the endzone once. The ST's play gave them easily 10 points and the offense gave them another 7 with that first half INT. Other than that, we win the game.

As for being behind Dodge 100% - if he will make some changes, I might agree. If he doesn't, this team still won't win 5 games next year.

As for recruiting, it is hard to recruit when you finished up 1-11. TCU, SMU and Baylor will get players before us with much more overall experienced staff.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

For anyone to sell this program short has swallowed too many "poison pills" that has, IMHO, obscured your judgement or you just have not attended the games and to look at the team objectively from week to week. There is much more to observe than a sport's writers article and just looking at statistics in the sport's page.

Not only did I attend every home game, I also attended the K-State game, the Rice game, and the ULM game. Caught the WKU and LSU games on TV. The only games I didn't witness with my own eyes were Middle Tennessee and Florida Atlantic.

This was a much better game. Talking afterwards with some of the folks from the tailgate, the term we came up with was that this was the first loss we had that wasn't a "Fire the Coach" game. Rather than getting embarrassed, we played hard and reasonably well and just got beat by a better team in a tough game.

You are obviously seeing things very differently than I am. I've never gone so far as to say Dodge should be let go, because it's not my call and I'm just another dumbass fan with no expertise in this area. But I have said that I have very little hope that Dodge will ever be successful here. If we had lost 11 games the way we lost today, that would be a different situation. If we had lost the 10 games we lost last year the way we lost today, that would be a different situation.

But having see a lot of games under this coach, I just don't have any faith in the man. I don't even have much hope. I truly, deeply hope to be proven wrong. I want North Texas to win, and I don't care if the coach on our winning sideline is Dodge, Dickey, Hitler, or Lee Harvey Oswald. Whoever gets us wins (and runs an honorable program), I'm glad to see it.

I don't think I'm a doom and gloom guy. I'm not a bitter fan who can't ever be satisfied. I think I'm pretty reasonable and optimistic when it comes to North Texas sports. When one dominates the other, it's optimism over reason... That's why I made all those road trips this year. But I just can't see this guy winning games for us. The team he had last year was a hell of a lot better than a 2-10 team. This year's team wasn't as good, but I think they were capable of a lot more than we saw them achieve. The decision making, the play calling, the unjustified arrogance... I don't think he's got what it takes yet and I don't think he's willing to admit to himself that he needs to learn and adapt to be successful at this level.

Either Dodge will return, or he won't. If he does, I hope, I hope, I hope I'm dead wrong and we start winning again. All I want is for this team to succeed. But there isn't much I've seen or heard in the past two years that leads me to believe this guy is the one to make it happen for us.

Rick V or Dodge will be the ones to make the decision about who our head coach will be next season, and we'll all just have to hope for whatever we think is best. As to what that is, a lot of fans will just have to agree to disagree.

Well I will agree the defense played lights out today. If the ST had any play at all, we would have won today. I really don't understand the squib kick at the end of the first half when you have a 15mph wind at your back and have already kicked it out of the endzone once. The ST's play gave them easily 10 points and the offense gave them another 7 with that first half INT. Other than that, we win the game.

As for being behind Dodge 100% - if he will make some changes, I might agree. If he doesn't, this team still won't win 5 games next year.

As for recruiting, it is hard to recruit when you finished up 1-11. TCU, SMU and Baylor will get players before us with much more overall experienced staff.

************************************************************************************************************************

Interesting that SMU will get players ahead of us because we are 1 win 11 loses...............Doesn't SMU have 1 win, 11 losses this year?, and they didn't play LSU?

Not only did I attend every home game, I also attended the K-State game, the Rice game, and the ULM game. Caught the WKU and LSU games on TV. The only games I didn't witness with my own eyes were Middle Tennessee and Florida Atlantic.

This was a much better game. Talking afterwards with some of the folks from the tailgate, the term we came up with was that this was the first loss we had that wasn't a "Fire the Coach" game. Rather than getting embarrassed, we played hard and reasonably well and just got beat by a better team in a tough game.

You are obviously seeing things very differently than I am. I've never gone so far as to say Dodge should be let go, because it's not my call and I'm just another dumbass fan with no expertise in this area. But I have said that I have very little hope that Dodge will ever be successful here. If we had lost 11 games the way we lost today, that would be a different situation. If we had lost the 10 games we lost last year the way we lost today, that would be a different situation.

But having see a lot of games under this coach, I just don't have any faith in the man. I don't even have much hope. I truly, deeply hope to be proven wrong. I want North Texas to win, and I don't care if the coach on our winning sideline is Dodge, Dickey, Hitler, or Lee Harvey Oswald. Whoever gets us wins (and runs an honorable program), I'm glad to see it.

I don't think I'm a doom and gloom guy. I'm not a bitter fan who can't ever be satisfied. I think I'm pretty reasonable and optimistic when it comes to North Texas sports. When one dominates the other, it's optimism over reason... That's why I made all those road trips this year. But I just can't see this guy winning games for us. The team he had last year was a hell of a lot better than a 2-10 team. This year's team wasn't as good, but I think they were capable of a lot more than we saw them achieve. The decision making, the play calling, the unjustified arrogance... I don't think he's got what it takes yet and I don't think he's willing to admit to himself that he needs to learn and adapt to be successful at this level.

Either Dodge will return, or he won't. If he does, I hope, I hope, I hope I'm dead wrong and we start winning again. All I want is for this team to succeed. But there isn't much I've seen or heard in the past two years that leads me to believe this guy is the one to make it happen for us.

Rick V or Dodge will be the ones to make the decision about who our head coach will be next season, and we'll all just have to hope for whatever we think is best. As to what that is, a lot of fans will just have to agree to disagree.

Complete agreement. Very well stated.

The squin kick was a horrible decision. Why in the world was this even considered with that wind out our back? We would have been better off kicking it out of bounds, but instead we give them a short field and 3 points, thanks to a good stand by our defense.

The officiating was an embarrasment with bad calls both ways.

Some changes to the coaching staff must occur immediately.

Great effort by our players today. I wouldn't have been near as critical throughout this season if the team would have appeared this motivated and prepared.

I'm excited about many of our freshman's futures including Williams, Hill, Cook, Shorter, Dunbar, etc..., plus it was good to hear Draylon Ross's name called a number of times. How many sacks did we end up with?

************************************************************************************************************************

Interesting that SMU will get players ahead of us because we are 1 win 11 loses...............Doesn't SMU have 1 win, 11 losses this year?, and they didn't play LSU?

Once again two main differences: 1) they have a PROVEN staff that has built it in college football at least once before, and 2) it was their first year as opposed to our second year. Lets see what they do in their second season.

We've already been over this. SMU already has 19 commitments, 6 three-star players, one a Top 10 kicker out of one of the top California prep programs. Seven are OLs; thee are DLs.

The games are won and lost on the lines at this level and in the pros. June Jones understands this; Todd Dodge doesn't. That's why Jones has already racked up a full compliment of linemen in his first two years (8 last year as well), and Dodge and his staff a desperately throwing scholarships at JUCO wide receivers.

Yes, SMU and June Jones are beating the crap out of us in recruiting despite their identical 1-11 record. At, the end of Dodge's first year, he didn't have 19 commitments lined up. You either know what to do at this level or you don't June Jones does, our guy doesn't.

I really don't understand the squib kick at the end of the first half when you have a 15mph wind at your back and have already kicked it out of the endzone once.

my opinion after watching football on every level for 40+ years is....NEVER, EVER, EVER SQUIB KICK......EVER!!!!.....hope that is clear enough....

I really don't understand the squib kick at the end of the first half when you have a 15mph wind at your back and have already kicked it out of the endzone once.

Not only that but the last play of the first half for NT made no sense. With a few seconds on the clock (7 I believe it was), and the ball at midfield and the wind at your back, why not take a shot into the end zone, or maybe attempt a 20 yard play to the sideline, either one will give you an opportunity to put up some points. Instead, a running play is called and Dodge is content to go to the locker room down by 3.

I'll admit the team played well through the first half and deserved a bit more of confidence boost that that.

Also, I question playing Phillips late in the game. I understand that he is an outgoing senior and Dodge wanted to give him a series of downs to work with, but when Vizza and the offense are clicking and making plays and driving the length of the field... why not keep the momentum going and not disrupt any progress that is occurring. Instead, Phillips went in and the first play was a hand-off to Montgomery that was not clean at all. I just question the decision and the timing, especially since Meager was given the opportunity during the second possession of the first quarter.

When I told my wife that I saw a real game today, she said "well, it's about time". Do they only play one or two real games every year under Dodge?

Many were proud of the defense during this game, yet while a former Corkey Nelson player was visiting with FFR he kept looking at the defense and kept saying "tackle guys, TACKLE".

Most young teams get it together and play a game like this on the second game of the year.

I was very pround of Chad Rose today. He did an excellent job.

...Also, I question playing Phillips late in the game. I understand that he is an outgoing senior and Dodge wanted to give him a series of downs to work with, but when Vizza and the offense are clicking and making plays and driving the length of the field... why not keep the momentum going and not disrupt any progress that is occurring. Instead, Phillips went in and the first play was a hand-off to Montgomery that was not clean at all. I just question the decision and the timing, especially since Meager was given the opportunity during the second possession of the first quarter.

In the post game radio show, Dodge shared that they went in to the game committed to getting playing time for all of the seniors. The team was aware that the plan was for Danny to get the third series in the first half and Matt to get the third series in the second. Of course, Dodge had no idea he'd be in a nail biter game, but I commend him for sticking to his promise to both of these quarterbacks. It was good to see the former leader of the Green Team get a few snaps other than at place holder.

I agree that we are still lacking in the fundamentals of special teams play. Any time that a kickoff out of the endzone is likely, almost any coach will prefer it, especially a team with the problems covering kickoff returns like ours. I will commend the improvements in returning kickoffs, except for the muffed early kickoff in the end zone to which was fortunately covered by the player who muffed it. Overall, I'm still holding out hopes for improved special teams coaching.