Rv's Legacy

UNT90

I wasn't trying to say anything bad about 90 or that he can't change his mind. I just thought the difference in his opinion over the 7 years was noteworthy. He went from an ardent defender to hatchet man #1, I found it entertaining. Nothing wrong with it. I've probably changed my mind on a ton of stuff on here too. I also find it interesting that we didn't have 17 big donors to pick on in 2008. It seems from this thread (and the inability to buyout TD's contract) we barely had donors at all.

If my memory serves me right we had 3 that I know of.

One is still around and involved cause he gets stroked like a .351 Windsor and gets his way any time he needs something.

One is still around..barely,..has been treated like a Leper at times for demanding accountability and is rarely ever seen anymore,  but still helps his department as much as he can.

One requested a concession we refused to give in to, walked away never to be heard from again.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

Personally, I was just reflecting on the last seven years, all that has happened in that time, and how that little slice of time amounts to 10% of my life, to date.

I damn sure don't have the time left to keep making the same mistakes over and over, although by being a fan for about 43% of my life, to date, one could argue that I have already done so.

• Upvote 1

Why focus on what was said? Why not focus on what caused his mind to change?

since November '08? 1.5 seasons of Dodge (3-16 record), 4 seasons of JJ(3 20-win seasons, 1 NCAA appearance, 84-46 record) .5 seasons of Canales (2-3 record), 3 seasons of Shanice Stephens (25-67 record) Apogee Stadium, 4.5 seasons of McCarney(1 9-win season, 1 bowl victory, 22-32 record), 1 season of Karen Aston (15-16 record), 3 seasons of Mike Peterson (28-61 record), 3 seasons of Benford (42-53 record). (221-294 overall record ~43% in big 3 sports, 1 NCAA tourney appearance, 1 bowl win, and a new stadium). How'd I do?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

since November '08? 1.5 seasons of Dodge (3-16 record), 4 seasons of JJ(3 20-win seasons, 1 NCAA appearance, 84-46 record) .5 seasons of Canales (2-3 record), 3 seasons of Shanice Stephens (25-67 record) Apogee Stadium, 4.5 seasons of McCarney(1 9-win season, 1 bowl victory, 22-32 record), 1 season of Karen Aston (15-16 record), 3 seasons of Mike Peterson (28-61 record), 3 seasons of Benford (42-53 record). (221-294 overall record ~43% in big 3 sports and a new stadium). How'd I do?

Name one other AD who would have kept his or her job with a record like this and a graveyard of coaching hires like RV has made.

I'll wait for the answer...

How'd I do?

Hold on, let my brain present the same data in a different rhetorical manner

• Best stadjum in the mid majors, never sold out now in it's 5th season, only host to 1 P5 iirc
  • Dodge - Losing record, basement of college football
  • JJ - Winning record, amazing coach
  • Canales - losing record
  • Stephens - losing record
  • McCarney - losing record, basement of college football
  • Aston - losing record, potential there
  • Peterson - losing record, basement of wbb
  • Benford - losing record, is the verdict still out?

Rick Villareal - losing record.

You bring another tidbit on how accomplished a coach and great hire JJ was: He accounted for (I assume since 2008) nearly 40% of the wins. So JJ was 84-46 (0.646), the other 7 coaches were 137-248 (0.356).

But let me also summarize @Cerebus' findings (who has a better grasp than me on this)

• Lack of MGC growth
  • Lack of season ticket growth

Again, I reiterate, he has been building good infrastructure, and I won't deny that. But he has done the rest of his job poorly, unable to fill that infrastructure.

RV can't get a pass on only doing part of his job well.

Best AD we've had? I can unabashedly say he has gotten us to a better conference with the best infrastructure we've ever had.

Yet in 12 months we've fired 2 of the Big 3, with likely the 3rd firing on deck, and he keeps asking for big donations when we should already have a solid donor base from the hundreds of thousands of North Texas graduates.

And UTSA is beating us in fundraising. UGHHHH

I will not ignore the positives RV has brought in terms of infrastructure, but I will not ignore the negatives that have led North Texas to being

• One of the worst FBS teams in the country (several times)
  • One of the worst WBB teams 
  • A MBB ranked in the top 250 (so, bad)
  • One of the worst by a mile in terms of fundraising in CUSA (I think 2013 numbers, see old thread on fundraising)
  • Upvote 3

Name one other AD who would have kept his or her job with a record like this and a graveyard of coaching hires like RV has made.

I'll wait for the answer...

Many Aggies wanted Groff gone well before his 10 year tenure was up. Most Longhorns wanted Deloss gone prior to Mack Brown's hiring.

• Upvote 1

Another post got me thinking. What will RV's legacy be here if he retains Dodge through next season with the same disasterous results?? I think if this happens, it has the potential to cost RV his job. Like him or not, he has accomplished so much more here than any AD before him. Just look at the facilities that have been added under his tenure. Look at the attendance figures for a horrible product this year. From what I understand, he brought the tailgating atmophere to game day, also??

I wonder if this legacy could be lost if he goes to the wall for Dodge and it ends up costing him his job. It would really take some major stones to make that commitment to Dodge after this last year.

RV and the word legacy should never be used in the same sentence. 

RV's legacy will be the best Traveling Comedy Football Troupe in the nation. We are nearly there!  Once we've recruited some new cast members - I mean players, who are fully on board with the new vision, RV will have created a whole new category of entertainment. What better way to make a mockery of the insanity of $$$ that college football has become?  "Something Completely Different!"

And wow those Subarus run forever!!

RV and the word legacy should never be used in the same sentence. 

I'm glad you found this.  It shows that I didn't always feel the way I do now about RV. 

Man, how crazy was I to think there would ever be any consequences for RV? Just nuts. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

I'm glad you found this.  It shows that I didn't always feel the way I do know about RV. 

Maldonado, how crazy was I to think there would ever be any consequences for RV? Just nuts. 

i literally was just scrolling through and saw this.  isn't it crazy to think what mind set we all were 7 years ago? i cannot believe RV is still here currently. 

I'm glad you found this.  It shows that I didn't always feel the way I do now about RV. 

Man, how crazy was I to think there would ever be any consequences for RV? Just nuts. 

RV is like a little kid. He breaks a window but blames it on the neighbor kid and doesn't get in trouble. Later on he gets older and starts a fire in the backyard playing with matches. Again blames it on another kid and gets away with it. The kid will continue do wrong without ANY consequences. What reason does the kid have to start acting right? None.

• Upvote 1