Maybe Dickey Was Right

Brett Vito

Think Dickey has a shot at being on Snyder's staff? I bet he does, but not as OC. Maybe QB coach.

Who is calling someone a schmuck? DD as a QB coach for Bill Snyder? What a joke. DD is going into personal retirement. His career is over at the D-1 level.

Well, maybe not, Rick can pull off anything.

Edited by nautique

Who is calling someone a schmuck? DD as a QB coach for Bill Snyder? What a joke. DD is going into personal retirement. His career is over at the D-1 level.

Well, maybe not, Rick can pull off anything.

Please elaborate why you feel that way. Dickey is still fairly young, has a lot of experience, and is a KSU alum and somewhat of a hometown hero.

Please elaborate why you feel that way. Dickey is still fairly young, has a lot of experience, and is a KSU alum and somewhat of a hometown hero.

I am sure Bill Snyder has DD #1 on his list.

Dickey concluded his ninth season at North Texas where he has compiled a record of 41-62, including a 33-20 conference record. . His 2005 team finished 2-9, which included six straight losses to finish the season. The Mean Green finished the 2005 season tied for last place in the Sun Belt Conference standings. He had three winning seasons in nine years at North Texas.

"UNT’s athletic director, Rick Villarreal, made an informed decision, which I support," University President Dr. Gretchen Bataille said. "UNT’s athletic programs are focused on student success — not only on playing fields and in arenas, but also in our classrooms. We will continue to recruit coaches and students who are committed to winning athletically and academically."

Definitely, DD will be in the Big 12 with his magic offense.

Actually these things sometimes have a way of working their way out.

Dickey's part-time nemesis at Louisiana Tech, Jack Bicknell III, was besieged by fans for years because of his ineffective offensive schemes. Bicknell was finally fired and became the offensive line coach at Texas Tech.

Bicknell was recently hired to be the Offensive Coordinator and Assistant Head Coach at his alma mater Boston College where he had gained notoriety as the center that snapeed the ball for Doug Flutie's last-second Hail Mary pass to Gerard Phelan.

Hopefully something similar will work out for Coach Dickey at Kansas State.

Actually these things sometimes have a way of working their way out.

Dickey's part-time nemesis at Louisiana Tech, Jack Bicknell III, was besieged by fans for years because of his ineffective offensive schemes. Bicknell was finally fired and became the offensive line coach at Texas Tech.

Bicknell was recently hired to be the Offensive Coordinator and Assistant Head Coach at his alma mater Boston College where he had gained notoriety as the center that snapeed the ball for Doug Flutie's last-second Hail Mary pass to Gerard Phelan.

Hopefully something similar will work out for Coach Dickey at Kansas State.

Completely agree.

Rick

Maybe Dickey Was Right? No. He had as many resources as most other Big West, MAC, or SBC programs. Did he have it any better at Utah State? No. DD did some good things at NT but it was time for him to go. Dodge did some good things for reviving the NT offense (last season) and increasing attendance and publicity (last year) but perhaps it's time for the next guy with a different "Plan"? Eventually all "down" schools stumble on a coach who can win there, K-State with Snyder, NT with Fry, Ole Miss this year, Vandy recently, Ball State, Buffalo, etc. There will never be a shortage of willing coaches to try. Willing fans to follow?...maybe a problem, but lack of available head coaches? No.

Maybe Dickey Was Right? No. He had as many resources as most other Big West, MAC, or SBC programs. Did he have it any better at Utah State? No. DD did some good things at NT but it was time for him to go. Dodge did some good things for reviving the NT offense (last season) and increasing attendance and publicity (last year) but perhaps it's time for the next guy with a different "Plan"? Eventually all "down" schools stumble on a coach who can win there, K-State with Snyder, NT with Fry, Ole Miss this year, Vandy recently, Ball State, Buffalo, etc. There will never be a shortage of willing coaches to try. Willing fans to follow?...maybe a problem, but lack of available head coaches? No.

Could not agree more. Also I would like to add that Dickey had a whopping 3 winning seasons and that was only because the team moved to a conference they could beat. He did not capitalize on the good times (and improving facilities) with better recruits. He did not shed a good light on the University when speaking to the press. His offense was about as much fun to watch as a trip to a box factory.

This is not a either/or situation. Dickey was not the future of this program. And, if Dodge does not get it done then we will find the guy that can. All is not lost. Things may not be moving at the pace we would like but the overall athletic department is improving just not football. So lets get the guy that can get that done.

In some ways Dickey is right. This is a difficult coaching situation because of our past (administrative) history, and our inability (or unwillingness) to get everything going at the same time.

Fry started dragging us into the modern era of football, but when he got tired of fighting with everyone for the least little bit of resources, he decided that Iowa was a much better situation......and it was.

Corky Nelson was the most successful coach we've ever had under the "circumstances" that Dickey complained about. He fielded a lot of very good teams, and did it on the stingy budget that the administrators gave him. Some say he drank too much, but hell I don't blame him. I've never seen a coach at North Texas do more with less resources.

It seems like every time we hire a new coach, our administrators/decision makers seem wake up in a new world.

Silver, exact facts as usual. Just one question, do you think it was easier for him to recruit because we were AA under part of his tenure, or at least headed that way? Cadillacs appeal to some, when a Ford will do for others, if that helps you understand my question a little better.

Yes, he had as many resources/money as others you mention. But, maybe it is the consistent resources over a number of years that is the difference here and the other programs you cite. So, consistency would give us better quality with our facilities. Also want to point again that though Dickey and Dodge have had more dollars, those dollars just have not gone as for, so it is a wash. (airlines, food, electricity, jocks, everything). I do not disagree completely with you at all, but if we had had consistent resources for 20 years like we have presently, we would not be as for behind. I have only seen a few other SBC campuses (no Big West or Mac at all), but I cannot imagine facility wise (i.e. stadium) they have it worse now than us. Hope you see what I am trying to say as I would be most interested in your view.