Imagine What A Coach With A Balanced Offense Could Do

The only area where you could say Dodge has had recruiting success is at running back. Imagine what a new coach, with a more balanced offense, could do with this stable of running backs - Cam Montgomery, Lance Dunbar, Micah Mosely, and James Hamilton.

With the graduation of Casey Fitzgerald, Brock Stickler, and Broderick Johnson, we'll basically be starting from scratch in the passing game next year. What better way to try to create some success than to get a coach and coaching staff in here that can use the talent we already have for a more traditional ball control-type offense.

Let's face it guys, even if Vizza stays, he's looking at trying to get timing down a whole new set of starters at WR. No one returning will have really "grown up" with him. If Dodge returns and doesn't change, we will again be watching Vizza face an uphill battle on offense.

Given Vizza's toughness, he'd be great in an offense like they run at West Virginia, Texas or any other school where to QB gets to run some option as well as throw the ball around.

To me, bringing in a coach to recognize and capitalize on the one area of offensive strength we'll have returning next season would be a dream.

But, alas, it's now just a dream.

Well, a spread offense is supposed to be balanced. Mike Leach, Joe Tiller at Purdue, Rich Rod at Michigan and most other spread coaches talk about the spread's ability achieve 'balance' not just in run v pass but more in touches to various players. Instead of one guy getting 20-30 touches and another receiver getting 10-15 touches, everyone is a threat to get the ball and score.

Even Dodgie here gets some balance, or at least tries to. Riley Dodge had something like 1000 yds rushing his senior year. Up at Mizzou where Pinkel is using some of Dodge's offense

“[The Missouri staff] had me speak at their spring clinic,” Dodge said. “We did visit [about the offense]. It was while they were recruiting Chase. I sent them a DVD of Chase Daniel. And two weeks later, I was at their clinic.”

Really, I don't think the offensive system is the problem. Not adapting the system to your players, not being able to recruit good players beside WR that quit, not knowing that defense is important: that is the problem.

Well, a spread offense is supposed to be balanced. Mike Leach, Joe Tiller at Purdue, Rich Rod at Michigan and most other spread coaches talk about the spread's ability achieve 'balance' not just in run v pass but more in touches to various players. Instead of one guy getting 20-30 touches and another receiver getting 10-15 touches, everyone is a threat to get the ball and score.

Even Dodgie here gets some balance, or at least tries to. Riley Dodge had something like 1000 yds rushing his senior year. Up at Mizzou where Pinkel is using some of Dodge's offense

“[The Missouri staff] had me speak at their spring clinic,” Dodge said. “We did visit [about the offense]. It was while they were recruiting Chase. I sent them a DVD of Chase Daniel. And two weeks later, I was at their clinic.”

Really, I don't think the offensive system is the problem. Not adapting the system to your players, not being able to recruit good players beside WR that quit, not knowing that defense is important: that is the problem.

Good points. Dodge always had a 1000-yard rusher at SLC to keep defenses in check. I do think his system, while not broke, is not new to opponents anymore. The spread was unique, now it's common. From a fan in the stands viewpoint, his schemes don't seem complex enough to truly exploit defensive weaknesses. The speed of the college game counters the X,Y,Z plays that worked in high school. And our defense is still a mess with personnel. This may take a 10-year project, not a 4-year deal. :rolleyes: