Michael Sturns

NT03

Wow, that's a name from the past. A guard wanna-be trapped in a forward's body. So much potential talent; good luck to him.

You may or may not know, that Sturns averaged over 26 points a game and was his divisions' player of the year in his senior year. His transfer seems to work out both for him and NT. He was one of the most athletic players to hit the court at NT, too bad he never seems to mesh with the team.

You may or may not know, that Sturns averaged over 26 points a game and was his divisions' player of the year in his senior year. His transfer seems to work out both for him and NT. He was one of the most athletic players to hit the court at NT, too bad he never seems to mesh with the team.

Too bad he was the king of turnovers and wanted to play point guard...

He was a lot of fun to watch though and he played pretty good defense as well.. I was sad when he decided to transfer but I got over it pretty quickly

Michael Sturns, along with Calvin Watson and Kendrick Davis, were exceptionally kind toward my daughter. They took the time to learn her name and went out of their way to talk to her after basketball games. My daughter now plays basketball because of their influence.

I wish you the VERY BEST Michael and hope you achieve your life goal of entering the NBA.

HE averaged 26 in a crap league. I wish they guy well but he wasn't good here. He wasn't good in the locker room. He wasn't good on the court (except for the few "OHHHH SHIT" moments he gave me and CBL back in the Pit Crew Days)

Good Luck Mike. You sir, are a POINT GOD!

I was mad too that JJ couldn't make Sturns work at UNT. But can you fault a guy who wants to be better then a 6th man? He wanted to be the man even if that was on a bad team. He did great in a crap league ya but he did great and that got him noticed. I saw the all-star game he was in and the anouncers were alll over him saying he was the best player in that crap division and that got him noticed. Now he is in the NBDL another crap league but he is working to be the best. I came to unt the same year with Sturns, my bestfreind was sweetmates with him and I used to party with him when I lived at the ridge. He is a cool guy and nice. I have nothing bad to say about him. I thought he was a great player and could make a great point gaurd in the right system because he can make his own shots and sometimes shots for other people. He is quick and has great defense. He put on weight and at 6 foot 5 he can transition to that combo gaurd.

So be mad that he did'n stay in our crap league the "sunbelt" because I am!

But Stop Hating on Sturns!

I was mad too that JJ couldn't make Sturns work at UNT. But can you fault a guy who wants to be better then a 6th man? He wanted to be the man even if that was on a bad team. He did great in a crap league ya but he did great and that got him noticed. I saw the all-star game he was in and the anouncers were alll over him saying he was the best player in that crap division and that got him noticed. Now he is in the NBDL another crap league but he is working to be the best. I came to unt the same year with Sturns, my bestfreind was sweetmates with him and I used to party with him when I lived at the ridge. He is a cool guy and nice. I have nothing bad to say about him. I thought he was a great player and could make a great point gaurd in the right system because he can make his own shots and sometimes shots for other people. He is quick and has great defense. He put on weight and at 6 foot 5 he can transition to that combo gaurd.

I don't put any of the failure of Sturns in our system on JJ. It is on Sturns. HE was told his time would come, he would have been the stud in his final years here but he didn't want that. JJ had a system, that system got them to the tourney. Sturns played into that system during that run and that got him noticed as a good 6th man. He wanted more, I don't blame him for that but he isn't smart with the ball and he was forcing alot of BS. You have a roommate that lived by the guy, I have roommates that played with him. he wasn't ever truly apart of the squad his first few years on campus. He wouldn't speak from what I have been told. Someone who wants more but doesn't step up in a leadership role sounds like someone who wants it handed to him. This is D1 basketball. Again I say, The guy has talent and I wish him the best. I am not hating on Michael Sturns, I am just saying he wasn't as big a piece of this puzzle as people think.

And the sunbelt is leaps and bounds above where he went. And based on our play the last few years as a conference I am not sure you can label us as "crap" when it comes to basketball. His play in that league did get him noticed... but SOMEONE has to score for the team right? Is Kevin Durant's 2 a game for the thunder this season as good as Kobe's 26 for the lakers?

The "POINT GOD" reference is alittle inside joke between me and CBL btw... nothing personal towards Mike

Edited by UNT_92_Fan

Please tell me that you're not faulting JJ for not giving Sturns a fair shake here?

I can excuse the three seasons of erratic handles, showmanship, poor shot selection, "oh shit" moments and bad locker-room chemistry...b/c yeah, the guy could occassionally put up big numbers. I can excuse him for taking a 25 foot 3 with 2 guys on him in the last seconds of the last regular season game of 2006 against ASU when K.D. was wide open in the corner...you know, K.D. one of the most clutch players in UNT history. I can excuse the fact that nobody in my time following UNT basketball has had anywhere near the big head and inflated self-important attitude that Sturns had (including Shawnson). I can even excuse his performance in the Memphis game...

What I can't excuse...and why I was celebrating the day he said he was transferring...was his re-action after his abortion of a game against Memphis...he thought he needed more touches, it wasn't his fault...how a game like that can't humble a person is completly beyond me. The kid is all about himself...nothing else. Team doesn't enter his thought process.

And unless his time at a D-II school...a school where I'm sure he was getting 20 shots a game and being told by everyone just how great he is...as some how managed to humble him, he is going to continue to run into better players and better athletes who actually get the game...and unless Norway has a Basketball Association he'll never see the NBA

I still think that Micheal would have been a fantastic football player. At a true 6-3 and with that kind of speed and coordination he physically was NFL type material.

There have been a few other North Texas basketball players that I believe could have been outstanding football players. Justin Barnett could easily have added 60 pounds and been an excellent offensive tackle and with his speed, Michael Jones could have been an excellent deep threat.

I still think that Micheal would have been a fantastic football player. At a true 6-3 and with that kind of speed and coordination he physically was NFL type material.

There have been a few other North Texas basketball players that I believe could have been outstanding football players. Justin Barnett could easily have added 60 pounds and been an excellent offensive tackle and with his speed, Michael Jones could have been an excellent deep threat.

Andy Blount?

Andy Blount?

Yes, that's another case of being a much better football player than basketball player.

(That is, unless you count monster thunder dunks accompanied by muscle flexing and loud primal grunts between opponents free throws) :lol:

It happened after the missed second shot of a 3 shot foul. The referee was laughing so hard that he had to hold up the game to wipe the tears from his eyes.

No I was mad at Sturns because JJ did everything he could to make Sturns work. By no way was it Jones' fault.

He only had one year left to play and wanted to be the man, but with White coming in he wasn't going to get his chance. I thinks JJ did everything the right way.

I just took it as you thought Sturns was not good and that he made a bad move to go to a lower division.

As far as the sunbelt being a crap league i was being sarcastic about that and the NBDL. I was just making a point that people look down on us too for being a crap league.