Texas Tech

GoMeanGreen1999

Once again the spread crumbles in a key game.

With all the wins Texas Tech has over Texas and Oklahoma I understand everyone wanting to run the spread.

You should say TxTech's version of the spread crumbles in a key game. Oklahoma's version seems to be doing just fine.

You should say TxTech's version of the spread crumbles in a key game. Oklahoma's version seems to be doing just fine.

The balanced one that focuses on rushing and uses tight ends and fullbacks is pretty awesome.

Did Bradford even break a sweat? He never gets touched. Neither does Daniels or most of the good ones.

But Bradford just sits back and plays catch to wide open WR's and to a lot of wide open TE's.

Amazing OL and great play calling on set up by the ability to run the ball.

If we had OU's trench play, we could call the statue of liberty 30 times in a row and be in every ballgame. Bradford might as well be setting up a campfire back there and roasting a marshmallow before all of his completions.

Bradford better cash in this year because four of the five starting o-linemen graduate and a fifth who rotates in regularly also graduates. If he screws up against Oklahoma State, he'll have a hard time repeating what he did this year and last year. He also loses receivers Juaquin Iglesias and Manny Johnson.

OU also traditionally loses guys who are eligible for the draft as underclassmen. Look for the TE Gresham to bolt to the NFL. Both running backs could be draft eligible. DT Gerald McCoy will be draft eligible and both safeties graduate.

So, if OU doesn't take care of business this weekend, the win over Tech will be much ado about nothing.

Either way, when you look at the talent Bradford had around him from the time he took his first snap, it's easy to see why he's beena success. No knock on him. He also has to execute. All I'm saying is that next year, there will be so many new starters around him, that he'll be tested like never before. He'll be one of the few with experience in a huge rebuilding year for them.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

If we had OU's trench play, we could call the statue of liberty 30 times in a row and be in every ballgame. Bradford might as well be setting up a campfire back there and roasting a marshmallow before all of his completions.

Spot on. Game, set, match for 0U. They ruled the line play.

Bradford better cash in this year because four of the five starting o-linemen graduate and a fifth who rotates in regularly also graduates. If he screws up against Oklahoma State, he'll have a hard time repeating what he did this year and last year. He also loses receivers Juaquin Iglesias and Manny Johnson.

OU also traditionally loses guys who are eligible for the draft as underclassmen. Look for the TE Gresham to bolt to the NFL. Both running backs could be draft eligible. DT Gerald McCoy will be draft eligible and both safeties graduate.

So, if OU doesn't take care of business this weekend, the win over Tech will be much ado about nothing.

Either way, when you look at the talent Bradford had around him from the time he took his first snap, it's easy to see why he's beena success. No knock on him. He also has to execute. All I'm saying is that next year, there will be so many new starters around him, that he'll be tested like never before. He'll be one of the few with experience in a huge rebuilding year for them.

Lonnie,

McShay of ESPN draft gurus has Bradford listed as the top pick for the NFL Draft this spring. Bradford has not said anything one way or the other unlike McCoy who says he is coming back. If he does not come back, then OU will lose some on the offensive side of the ball. TX and OU simply have such strong programs now that there is no such thing presently as a huge rebuilding year for them. I will even say that TX and OU, with or without Bradford still on the team, will be a top 5 match up in next October. With him, it could be 1 vs 2.

Edited by Green Dozer

I don't know. The last time OU graduated that many seniors on offense was following the 2004 season. In 2005, the went 8-4. I think 2009 will be about the same for them. Three for four losses. Even if Bradford does return, you're looking at an uber competitive Big 12 South. Texas has been young for two years and split with OU in 2007 and 2008. They will be stronger in 2009. Tech will be as strong. And, Oklahoma State and Baylor are both on the uptick. In fact, Oklahoma State could still wipe out the Sooners this weekend.

The Baylor thing kills us. They're within six - ten points from being bowl eligible in Briles first year: three point losses on the road to U Conn (7-4) and at home against Missouri (9-2) This is where we're getting killed. They have been competitive in many games they've lost. Briles is cashing in on the recruiting end. They've already gotten 14 commitments, one being a four-star OL.

It's bad enough that we chose a coach out of high school. Add to that, he runs a spread offense. From day one, he was up against Texas Tech and Houston in state for the same type of prep. This year, with Kevin Sumlin at Houston, Briles now at Baylor, and June Jones at SMU, his competition from Texas school alone with spread offenses doubled. Throw on top of that that we've regressed, and we're just not as attractive to that type of recruit.

I don't know. The last time OU graduated that many seniors on offense was following the 2004 season. In 2005, the went 8-4. I think 2009 will be about the same for them. Three for four losses. Even if Bradford does return, you're looking at an uber competitive Big 12 South. Texas has been young for two years and split with OU in 2007 and 2008. They will be stronger in 2009. Tech will be as strong And, Oklahoma State and Baylor are both on the uptick. In fact, Oklahoma State could still wipe out the Sooners this weekend.

The Baylor thing kills us. They're within six - ten points from being bowl eligible in Briles first year: three point losses on the road to U Conn (7-4) and at home against Missouri (9-2) This is where we're getting killed. They have been competitive in many games they've lost. Briles is cashing in on the recruiting end. They've already gotten 14 commitments, one being a four-star OL.

It's bad enough that we chose a coach out of high school. Add to that, he runs a spread offense. From day one, he was up against Texas Tech and Houston in state for the same type of prep. This year, with Kevin Sumlin at Houston, Briles now at Baylor, and June Jones at SMU, his competition from Texas school alone with spread offenses doubled. Throw on top of that that we've regressed, and we're just not as attractive to that type of recruit.

Yea, I see your point and they are very good ones. But, OU had some strong teams after Stoop's first title, and people had the same sentiments as you. But, then again, that is good coaching. Tech will be strong if Leach returns(unless they are smart and throw a ton of money Briles' way. I think Briles should have waited out on the Tech job) .

I don't agree with comparing our program to anybody in the Big 12. I just do not think we can think about competing recruiting wise there right now. We cannot match the dollar thing. SMU, maybe, but a lot of facilities/money and not much else of substance. Throw in the admission requirements, Jones is going to have a hard time get the number of players to consistently run his offense year and year out. But I definitely agree with you that Houston is a program that I think we can aspire to simulate. And welcome back, don't take off.

Edited by Green Dozer