Drc Monday Sun Belt Notebook

Brett Vito

Joseph, like Riley, has only played in 4 games of a 12 game season and would qualify also under the rules to apply, but is no guarantee. It doesn't hurt to apply and I cannot fathom why we wouldn't. Joseph has been a fantastic representative for this university and deserves everything we can do for him.

Rick

I too would like to see Joe return next season, but like I said, I don't know if he is eligible, and if he wants to return for another season. Joe may want to start his working career or pursue graduate studies at North Texas or another college without the distraction of football.

Riley has only played in three games; Tulsa, LSU, and Rice. Although he traveled to the Kansas State game he never played that day. Joe played in all four games at the start of the season.

*Here's a little bit of information about medical hardship waivers. The NCAA does not grant medical hardship waivers, the conferences do. The NCAA office only grants them for independent schools. As long as the documentation is there from medical doctors and the training staff, they're almost always granted as long as they meet the necessary criteria.

A medical hardship waiver, which is commonly referred to as a medical redshirt, is when there is limited competition, but a season-ending injury occurs prior to the 20 percent point of the season. Then, every school has the option to make an appeal to the conference office for a medical hardship waiver to get that year of competitive eligibility back. The NCAA requires a maximum 20% participation but the rule doesn't recognize decimal points, so 29% is actually allowed (maximum of less than 30%) and all of that competition must occur in the first half of the season. In a 12 game season, 3 games is 25%, 4 games is 33%.

Here is where it gets sticky. Getting a medical redshirt doesn't guarantee a player a sixth year. Once a student-athlete enrolls as a full-time student, what's called the "five-year clock" starts to tick. They have five years from that point in which to complete their four years of eligibility. It's a pretty strict standard and an extension is not easy to get. The college must petition the NCAA for an extension for a sixth year and only about 25% of those requests are granted.

Edited by ADLER

I too would like to see Joe return next season, but like I said, I don't know if he is eligible, and if he wants to return for another season. Joe may want to start his working career or pursue graduate studies at North Texas or another college without the distraction of football.

Riley has only played in three games; Tulsa, LSU, and Rice. Although he traveled to the Kansas State game he never played that day.

*Here's a little bit of information about medical hardship waivers. The NCAA does not grant medical hardship waivers, the conferences do. The NCAA office only grants them for independent schools. As long as the documentation is there from medical doctors and the training staff, they're almost always granted as long as they meet the necessary criteria.

A medical hardship waiver, which is commonly referred to as a medical redshirt, is when there is limited competition, but a season-ending injury occurs prior to the 20 percent point of the season. Then, every school has the option to make an appeal to the conference office for a medical hardship waiver to get that year of competitive eligibility back. The NCAA requires a maximum 20% participation but the rule doesn't recognize decimal points, so 29% is actually allowed (maximum of less than 30%) and all of that competition must occur in the first half of the season. In a 12 game season, 3 games is 25%, 4 games is 33%.

Here is where it gets sticky. Getting a medical redshirt doesn't guarantee a player a sixth year. Once a student-athlete enrolls as a full-time student, what's called the "five-year clock" starts to tick. They have five years from that point in which to complete their four years of eligibility. It's a pretty strict standard and an extension is not easy to get. The college must petition the NCAA for an extension for a sixth year and only about 25% of those requests are granted.

I have clicked on an NCAA.org link for eligibility (or something similar), and nothing was displayed, although the referred page was "done". It appears that the NCAA restricts this information to "members". As best as I can tell from various Internet sources, the limit for football "hardship" waivers amounts to 3 games(20% of games in first half of season, rounded to next whole number, i.e. 2.4, thus 3 games). I'm supposing this was the problem for Muzzy; playing in part of a 4th game. If true, that might explain the problem for Miller. Apparently, the documentation, even with only 3 games played, has to be very thorough. Of course, there are also rumors of selective NCAA enforcement and schools filing fake injury reports.

Edited by eulessismore