Coaching Adjustments

NT03

Today's game between Notre Dame and Navy.

Notre Dame comes into the game with the 20th ranked passing offense in the nation , ok.

Navy comes into the game with the 104th ranked passing defense in the nation , got it.

No brainer right ? Throw , throw and throw somemore. Well at halftime all those numbers added up to just a 10-7 halftime lead for the Irish. The lone TD was via a blocked punt. Yes Jimmy Boy was 15-18 for 83.3% passsing...good. All those completions for a whole 110 yards for a 6.1 yds per attempt ( sounds like some UNT #'s there)

So what does Weiss do in the 2nd half ?? Run , Run and run some more. In all 51 rushes for 230 yds. It wasn't pretty , but Notre Dame did what they had to do to WIN this football game.

I'm not screaming bring back DD , because he never did much adjusting either. Nor am I calling Weiss a GREAT coach , but he did adjust (which he normally doesn't do because of his ego) The only game I can recall in the TD era where he turned to the run consistently when it was working was the WKU game last year... I think we WON that game

It just seems to me we can run the ball very well. Cam averages over 5 yards per carry , which is very good , but we seem to continue to dink and dunk all game every game.

Maybe Im just bored and venting on a bye week , but anyone else agree ?????

In every game I watch from high school on up I am always anxious to see what changes are made at least at the half to improve a team's performance. I have see little to none from our mean Green. I believe Dodge will eventually get us where we want to be but would like to see this change. However few coaches can do this. Most know one process and stick with it do or die.

This was what was great about Hayden Fry. He could take any team, any type offens or defense and finesse it into a better team. IMO.

NT03,

How do you expect UNT to pound the football? With what scheme? Out of the spread, you have to be kidding me. UNT run game is somewhat effective in certain down and distance situations only because opposing defenses just line up in cover 2 defense and dare us to run the ball.

Our passing and running game will only get better with change in sets, formations, motion, use of TE's

etc etc (that has been mentioned on this board 100 times).

We will not line up and beat teams running the ball out of 4 wide receiver sets. Our OL can't handle the basic 6 man fronts we are seeing now.

This whole scheme has to be tweaked. Dodge is saying he is gonna stick to his guns in most press conferences, he better hope that Riley Dodge can be the bruising dual threat runner and that our OL gets a lot stronger during the off season. If not, it will be a long year again.

Edited by Dodge2007

NT03,

How do you expect UNT to pound the football? With what scheme? Out of the spread, you have to be kidding me. UNT run game is somewhat effective in certain down and distance situations only because opposing defenses just line up in cover 2 defense and dare us to run the ball.

Our passing and running game will only get better with change in sets, formations, motion, use of TE's

We will not line up and beat teams running the ball out of 4 wide receiver sets. Our OL can't handle the basic 6 man fronts we are seeing now.

This whole scheme has to be tweaked. Dodge is saying he is gonna stick to his guns in most press conferences, he better hope that Riley Dodge can be the bruising dual threat runner and that our OL gets a lot stronger during the off season. If not, it will be a long year again.

Did I ever once mention we should pound the ball ??? No $hit it wouldn't work , what will work ??? What has worked ???Pretty much NOTHING!!

I'm talking about ADJUSTMENTS , something have yet see our staff do. Every team we play or ever will play will allow a 3 yard pass out to our WRs and let him get his 10 catches a game. I've just never seen a UNT coach in my short time here that made game changing adjustments.

I do agree with you 100% however on our only chance of seeing a dramatic change is if Riley is the real deal 2 way threat and our young OL keeps getting better.

NT03,

Did I ever once mention we should pound the ball ??? No $hit it wouldn't work , what will work ??? What has worked ???Pretty much NOTHING!!

I'm talking about ADJUSTMENTS , something have yet see our staff do. Every team we play or ever will play will allow a 3 yard pass out to our WRs and let him get his 10 catches a game. I've just never seen a UNT coach in my short time here that made game changing adjustments.

We have over 400 pass attempts with just a little over 200 rushes ( i don't count the 72 rushes by Vizza because half of those were probably passes to begin with) WE NEED MORE BALANCE

I do agree with you 100% however on our only chance of seeing a dramatic change is if Riley is the real deal 2 way threat and our young OL keeps getting better.

Edited by NT03