So How Did They Look?

oldguystudent

Good first game? Promising play?

I am still concerned... our first half play reminded me of the TAMU Int game, though we were definitely more lively.... Our defense was stout even in the first half, but Cameron made highly contested shots, especially in the first half, that often were very lucky... I knew it wouldn't keep up...... We came out fired up in the second half, and once again took the game over... the problem is that when up against better competition we have to be on for the entire game.... I still get the feeling that JJ is trying out different rotations and nothing is set yet.....it is obvious that the players are still getting used to each other, especially on offense... defense is very solid. The guards do not seem to feed our big men even when they are working hard... We might have to suffer through a few early OOC loses, but I really think that this team will find itself and when it does, watch out. The team is stacked with talent.

Edited by chrisfisher

I'm concerned.

However, I was watching the Oklahoma State score come across. They had a similar game against UTSA. It was actually a struggle into last 5 minutes before the Cowboys put them away. OSU is still getting used to a new coach and system. Given that I think we have a punchers chance, even though we're very shaky right now.

But hey, a win is a win, is a win.

Edited by CMJ

I'm concerned.

However, I was watching the Oklahoma State score come across. They had a similar game against UTSA. It was actually a struggle into last 5 minutes before the Cowboys put them away. OSU is still getting used to a new coach and system. Given that I think we have a punchers chance, even though we're very shaky right now.

But hey, a win is a win, is a win.

CMJ - shaky - yes, but again this was the tale of 2 halves.... if the team that comes out in half 2 shows up the entire game, we'll have another 20+ win season. Our TOs were down, yet still high (17)... but take a look at our assists.... 17 this game.. I hope this is indicative of things to come... they need to gel and gel fast... I want to beat OSU again so bad that it hurts.

Edited by chrisfisher

I came away a little concerned. They certainly are a talented team, but we should be dominating teams like Cameron (who lost to OU 94 -39) and TAMU Intl much more significantly than we are. Even though JJ is clearly experimenting and I think more than anything letting everyone play like he normally does early in the season, I think these 2 wins should have been more dominant. I hope I am wrong and it is just the experimenting and not a sign that we have talent but not a great "team".

Howerton does look like a much different player than his first 3 years, wow. Much more confidence and assertiveness.

I'm a bit concerned about our ability to rebound when we play teams with bigger forwards. We have a scrappy bunch, which will help, but I think we'll miss Wooden and Williams' size and hands around the basket. But MAN, do our guards look good!!

I'm looking forward to a VERY entertaining season!

CMJ - shaky - yes, but again this was the tale of 2 halves.... if the team that comes out in half 2 shows up the entire game, we'll have another 20+ win season. Our TOs were down, yet still high (17)... but take a look at our assists.... 17 this game.. I hope this is indicative of things to come... they need to gel and gel fast... I want to beat OSU again so bad that it hurts.

My boss is an OSU alum and a big fan. I agree, I wanna beat them more than I can say!

GMG!

Not impressed at all. We towered over this team and they nearly ran us out of our own gym. Tonight was a perfect time to practice pressing the life out of someone and we never even tried. For once, before I die, I'd like to see a North Texas team that plays a suffocating defense. Just once.

Rick

Agree. Different player combos were being tried, but we were very sloppy with inside defense and rebounding. We had several players taller on the offensive glass but couldn't get it into them. OU beat Cameron by 55, thus we're about 30 points behind a quality Big12 team on the road right now. Luckily, as already mentioned, OSU has a new coach and system so that could reduce the margin against us Monday night.