The Snake Pit Sucks

UNTflyer

Why didn't yall cat in the hat people sit in the pit crew side? A couple of people that came from the other side were complaining that people were yelling at them to sit down. If someone were to yell at me to sit down there would be a problem.

Well here's the thing.. the signs on the building said the student section was the other side. So students entered and sat on that side.

Well here's the thing.. the signs on the building said the student section was the other side. So students entered and sat on that side.

Wow. There were signs on the pit crew side that said students couldn't sit beyond a certain point which I don't understand either. If that were true then the student section would only have held 300 people or so. Overall, that was some pretty terrible planning.

Edited by aprice

Wow. There were signs on the pit crew side that said students couldn't sit beyond a certain point which I don't understand either. If that were true then the student section would only have held 300 people or so. Overall, that was some pretty terrible planning.

Yes the side me and flyer and the crazed eagles sat on, the signs at the entrence to the pit said that was the student side...yet when i got in thier i looked over to the other side and it shows student section...i was so confused, i thought i was in the student section!

Drex told me that he read somewhere that JJ liked it so much in there, that he'd like to play a late season game there (maybe against WKU).

Okay....but if you do that...make these changes:

1) No blocking of exits like last night. That is ridiculous, and the fire marshall would have had a "cow" if he had seen that;

2) Make ALL of one side the student side....and ALL of the other side the non-student side;

3) To heck with the chairs on the floor. I realize those are for the floor seat people, RV and his family, and Dr. B. But, if you want to have a Snake Pit effect...you've got to put portable bleachers down there. And yes, the floor seat people would have to give up their floor seats, but a lot of us other fans sacrificed last night. Us season ticket holders had general admission tickets...not reserved seats. (And I understand why). So, if we can sacrifice that, maybe the floor seat folks could be asked to give those up....so that portable bleachers could be put in there.....and give it a real Snake Pit atmosphere.

Otherwise, play ALL REMAINING GAMES AT THE SUPER PIT.

That's my .02.

Edited by SUMG

Drex told me that he read somewhere that JJ liked it so much in there, that he'd like to play a late season game there (maybe against WKU).

Okay....but if you do that...make these changes:

1) No blocking of exits like last night. That is ridiculous, and the fire marshall would have had a "cow" if he had seen that;

2) Make ALL of one side the student side....and ALL of the other side the non-student side;

3) To heck with the chairs on the floor. I realize those are for the floor seat people, RV and his family, and Dr. B. But, if you want to have a Snake Pit effect...you've got to put portable bleachers down there. And yes, the floor seat people would have to give up their floor seats, but a lot of us other fans sacrificed last night. Us season ticket holders had general admission tickets...not reserved seats. (And I understand why). So, if we can sacrifice that, maybe the floor seat folks could be asked to give those up....so that portable bleachers could be put in there.....and give it a real Snake Pit atmosphere.

Otherwise, play ALL REMAINING GAMES AT THE SUPER PIT.

That's my .02.

i asked them if students could sit in those fold out chairs becuase our group wanted to be on the floor...they said no, that those were for season ticket holders and doners only....yet only like 25 chairs out of about 70 were full....could have put students thier!

As a kid I attended several games there. Full house all the time. LOUD like a rock concert...next to the speakers.

I really wanted to attend that game Friday but I had to work. It looks like they changed things up there from the 1970's. I can't tell from the photos, but there was the upper level and then there were those wooden bleachers that pull out along the bottom. Close enough to stretch out a foot and trip a player…or have a player dive on you for a lose ball.

fun.

The Snake Pit had its charm in its day. Very glad for the Super Pit!

As a kid I attended several games there. Full house all the time. LOUD like a rock concert...next to the speakers.

I really wanted to attend that game Friday but I had to work. It looks like they changed things up there from the 1970's. I can't tell from the photos, but there was the upper level and then there were those wooden bleachers that pull out along the bottom. Close enough to stretch out a foot and trip a player…or have a player dive on you for a lose ball.

fun.

The Snake Pit had its charm in its day. Very glad for the Super Pit!

The wooden pullout bleachers along the sidelines are gone, only the fixed upper bleachers remain. There is a small set of pullouts along one endline but they weren't used last night. The other end has built in storage closet space where the pullouts used to be. Hard to believe that once players like Oscar Robertson and Wes Unseld used to play there with Cincy and Louisville and the like coming to Denton. The program said Oscar Robertson scored his career-high 62 points there once, which still ranks as 13th in NCAA history in single-game scoring!

I loved the noise level at the Snake Pit. It was awesome.

Two major downsides to the Snake Pit:

1.) The entrance/exits to the 2 seating areas really don't allow for people to be standing right behind the railing since there's so much traffic.

2.) I love when people stand, but in the Snake Pit, the sight lines are really bad so that if you're in a bad spot, like in the middle of a crowd of people standing, you lose sight of half the court. I'd almost say make it sitting only since it's so bloody hard to see anything when everyone stands. There's just not enough height between rows.

The marked up floor got us an over and back violation. They need to bring in the floor from the super pit next time. Just too many lines for too many sports.

Both teams actually had several turnovers because of the excessive markings.

I sat in the middle of the bleachers. I didn't have as bad an experience as the the rest of the people in this thread. I was on the edge of the Pit Crew folks and the old folks. It was rather entertaining to watch the old folks trying to get the Pit Crew to sit down.

I thought there was a great atmosphere for the game...the band was awesomely loud, and the fans got very loud at some points...especially when Howerton went on his run.

But yeah, I would hate it if every game was played there. But for one night, the Snake Pit seemed really special. When I look back at the 5 years of UNT basketball I've been able to watch, this night will be a memory that will stick out in my mind.

Ya, I took my son and we also sat in the middle next to the sitting fans and the standing students. He is only 5 so he was pretty scared at how loud it was. Overall, great experience (except when I had to take my son to the bathroom twice in 5 minutes)...so sorry to all those people I walked in front of carrying my son.

Can't wait until the Super Pit maddness this year!!! GO MEAN GREEN!!