Boise State To The Mwc ?

NT03

Former long-time Voice of the Broncos and KBOI talk show host Paul J Schneider has reported that Boise State president Bob Kustra has received a letter from the Mountain West Conference regarding an invitation to join the league.

Boise State is currently a member of the Western Athletic Conference.

Everyone from Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson to Kustra is refuting any contact has been made.

"I can categorically say Dr. Kustra has not received a letter from the Mountain West Conference. No correspondence has been exchanged, there are no active discussions nor change of status regarding conference affiliations," said BSU spokesman Frank Zang after speaking with Kustra on Tuesday afternoon.

Thompson was asked about membership expansion in the nine-member Mountain West on Monday. He said he does not expect expansion and that the "next time the board meets is in June."

Thompson was also asked if including Boise State in the league would help the conference gain status as an automatic qualifier for the BCS.

"I don’t know," Thompson said. "My personal opinion is that they probably wouldn’t be 12-0, taking nothing away from Boise State. I don’t know that they would go undefeated against the top four teams that are vying for the conference championship at this point."

Utah, TCU, BYU and Air Force are competing for the league crown.

A school must notify the WAC of its intention to leave by July 1 of the year before it wants to leave. For example, Boise State would have to alert the WAC by July 1, 2009 in order to leave the league by July 1, 2010.

A school leaving the conference would also forfeit any end-of-year payment from the league for that year. So if Boise State were to leave the WAC and then make a BCS bowl in 2009, the Broncos would not receive their share of that revenue.

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2008/11/1...e_mountain_west

RV said NT was working to try to get into the MWC

Holy crap! You think we're taking some beat downs in football now? Can you imagine trying to compete in that conference!?!?

Honestly, until we can win some football games (that's plural), we don't have any business looking anywhere. The WAC's no improvement, the MWC is, in my opinion, too much of a leap, and Conference USA will probably continue to shun us as long as SMUt has anything to say about it.

Holy crap! You think we're taking some beat downs in football now? Can you imagine trying to compete in that conference!?!?

Honestly, until we can win some football games (that's plural), we don't have any business looking anywhere. The WAC's no improvement, the MWC is, in my opinion, too much of a leap, and Conference USA will probably continue to shun us as long as SMUt has anything to say about it.

If we can't join the WAC because of $$ and lack of media I don't see how the MWC is any different, except for TCU in it. Might as well seek Pac10 membership. CUSA seems the best next step.

Long standing rumor but Boise is only good in football as well Boise is also a small TV market. Boise St is also kinda weak academically..even more so than my beloved Fresno St. Rumor that they'll add 2 or 3 teams for an expansion to really cement a BCS tie in. I'm not sure adding just Boise does this.

I don't believe this statement is true and that you can produce any proof to back it up.

I personally talked to RV on the phone in Sept about increasing the stadium capacity and he said that if CUSA continued to shun us and we built up our facilities that maybe MWC could give us a look. Remember this was in Sept and the week before the tulsa game meltdown.

I personally dont think in any way we would get invited into any other Div 1 conference in the U.S. But with all kidding aside TCU and NT would look good in the same conference.

Ultimate blow in the face to SM----who?

I personally talked to RV on the phone in Sept about increasing the stadium capacity and he said that if CUSA continued to shun us and we built up our facilities that maybe MWC could give us a look. Remember this was in Sept and the week before the tulsa game meltdown.

I personally dont think in any way we would get invited into any other Div 1 conference in the U.S. But with all kidding aside TCU and NT would look good in the same conference.

Ultimate blow in the face to SM----who?

That's a really big maybe.

Just to clarify...Boise State DID make the NCAA Tournament in basketball last year after they won the WAC title. They aren't a total 1 trick(or sport) pony.

I still think this is more rumor than reality.

We (Irvine) used to mop the floor with Boise St in basketball when they were in the Big West. I listened to a couple games online and their announcer would constantly lament that they sucked because of the Big West officiating crews. So I would argue that unlike football, they haven't built a consistently decent basketball program yet. Also, unlike the other nine members of the MWC, they don't have baseball.

We tend to look at football and football only when thinking about conferences, but the conference commissioners want well rounded programs. If there's anything UNT has going for it, it's women's soccer. That would actually be a nice selling point. Now about that baseball.....

Oh, and what's hockey gonna' do for us? Get us entrance into North Dakota State's conference?

Hell man, when we were in the Big West(1996-2000) - we had a winning record against Boise in FOOTBALL. So, yeah....doesn't mean that's how it stands now.

I think BSU is in the process of becoming really competitive in basketball, but we'll see. The WAC is a pretty decent league in basektball usually, so the fact that they tied for the regular season and won the conference tourney got high marks in my book.

Just to clarify...Boise State DID make the NCAA Tournament in basketball last year after they won the WAC title. They aren't a total 1 trick(or sport) pony.

I still think this is more rumor than reality.

It was a fluke season

To speak to oldguystudent's lack of solid basketball program and having a baseball program...I know a school that would fit right in B)

fresno_state_575.jpg

Edited by mdh0192

If the MWC is completely eyeing the BCS I think they will want to add multiple teams from the WAC. Boise State and Fresno State definitely comes to mind first but maybe they may look at adding Hawaii and want to add a state partner for UNM and add NMSU. That is far fetched but it is a possibility. For Boise State the advantages of the MWC is clear in that it is a far superior conference and they will gain a lot more respectability because their strength of schedule will get tougher in football. The disadvantages could be that Boise State may not be the force to be reckoned with anymore and be the top dawg of the conference. We need to ask ourselves if Boise State would have gone undefeated two years ago and be undefeated this year so far if they were in the MWC. If I were Boise State I would jump ships but I would want to bring other WAC schools like Fresno State along as well. Just my thought.

It was a fluke season

To speak to oldguystudent's lack of solid basketball program and having a baseball program...I know a school that would fit right in B)

fresno_state_575.jpg

I would love to have a fluke season around here. I remember us playing Boise here at Fouts. Wow, isn't it amazing how some programs that we have seen here have gone and what has happened to ours.

If the MWC is completely eyeing the BCS I think they will want to add multiple teams from the WAC. Boise State and Fresno State definitely comes to mind first but maybe they may look at adding Hawaii and want to add a state partner for UNM and add NMSU.

The MWC was formed by breaking away from WAC teams like Fresno, Hawaii, UNM, UTEP, etc. They may be thinking of picking up one school as insurance in case the PAC10 raids BYU and/or Utah, but I don't see the MWC joining up with multiple WAC teams again.

Well I think that we should aim to improve our overall standing in the nation's eyes. The best way to do that is to improve our conference association.

I wrote about what I think should be done.

at http://ntmescan.blogspot.com/2008/10/new-s...conference.html.

read at your own risk!

Welcome to the board!....sorta.

You've been lurking :)