Kansas State Getting Rid Of Ron Prince

SUMG

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A coach leaving with a 16 and 18 record less than 3 years......what is up with that, I mean he hasn't even had time to get his OWN players in there. I mean that is just not fair.

We lose to them and people are like "oh KSU will content for the Big 12 title." Yip

I did expect them to finish out much better last yar after beating Texas, and it seems like this year fit the same pattern of a late season tailspin. I wonder if other programs have problems with Juco transfers showing up out of shape, especially a program like KSU, which really counts on them.

"He never lived up to the standard Snyder set, going 16-18 in 2½ seasons in Manhattan, including 4-5 this year."

Win now or you're out at most BCS schools. There is too much revenue at stake. Too many alums with influence and $$ makes losing unacceptable. It's tough job security for coaches in those leagues; no on-the-job training there.

"He never lived up to the standard Snyder set, going 16-18 in 2½ seasons in Manhattan, including 4-5 this year."

Win now or you're out at most BCS schools. There is too much revenue at stake. Too many alums with influence and $$ makes losing unacceptable. It's tough job security for coaches in those leagues; no on-the-job training there.

Snyder had a 14-20 record after the same number of games, with a lot of 1-AA OOC games.

Gary Patterson anyone?

They may make a run at Patterson, but his base at TCU is about what the package was for Prince. TCU has the willing donors and funds for a bid war with K-State. And, this on the eve of the Frogs' MWC showdown with undefeated, Top 10 ranked Utah.

Anyway, congrats to K-State's athletic department for recognizing that it wasn't working. I wish ours was the same. Our problem is that if we were 16-18 over 34 games, the idiots who run our department would want to name every building on campus after the coach. Our bar is set very low.

To wit -

Auburn OC - fired midway through the season.

Tennessee's Fulmer and his one national title, and division title from last season - gone.

K-State's Prince and his two wins versus UT - gone.

Us...3-18 over two years with one win over a full FBS team, and we're staying, apparently, with what we've got. Wish we'd set the bar higher.

<sigh>

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

They may make a run at Patterson, but his base at TCU is about what the package was for Prince. TCU has the willing donors and funds for a bid war with K-State. And, this on the eve of the Frogs' MWC showdown with undefeated, Top 10 ranked Utah.

Anyway, congrats to K-State's athletic department for recognizing that it wasn't working. I wish ours was the same. Our problem is that if we were 16-18 over 34 games, the idiots who run our department would want to name every building on campus after the coach. Our bar is set very low.

To wit -

Auburn OC - fired midway through the season.

Tennessee's Fulmer and his one national title, and division title from last season - gone.

K-State's Prince and his two wins versus UT - gone.

Us...3-18 over two years with one win over a full FBS team, and we're staying, apparently, with what we've got. Wish we'd set the bar higher.

<sigh>

<sigh> No use even replying to you Lonnie, but I do not have anything better to do right now. If you think our bar was high before Dodge, then as Shaft told me in one of my post, you must be smoking something and I hope you will stay away from the players. Bower, which you have mentioned, may have won 2 or 3 games with this team, that is it. Don't know how many games you have coached, but Dodge has more on the field experience than you do. We have set the bar higher and that is why we are going through these growing pains. There is a million dollar coach not from Frisco named June Jones. Do us all a favor and go follow him.

Edited by Green Dozer

Guest GrayEagleOne

Well, for openers, we are not in an automatic-qualifying conference so th4re isn't anywhere near as much revenue. They have more than four times (and up) the investment in their coach than we do in ours. Fulmer has been there 16 years. Prince got a third year. The Auburn OC got fired because Tuberville is under pressure to win this year; he's been there a lot longer than 1 3/4 seasons. Dodge indirectly forced our getting a new stadium. We don't have the money to buy out another contract. There could be a gentleman's agreement on the length of Dodge's stay. There are probably other reasons if I could have been a fly on the wall at their conversations. Head coaches just don't get fired in their second year unless there is a possible NCAA infraction.

Well, for openers, we are not in an automatic-qualifying conference so th4re isn't anywhere near as much revenue. They have more than four times (and up) the investment in their coach than we do in ours. Fulmer has been there 16 years. Prince got a third year. The Auburn OC got fired because Tuberville is under pressure to win this year; he's been there a lot longer than 1 3/4 seasons. Dodge indirectly forced our getting a new stadium. We don't have the money to buy out another contract. There could be a gentleman's agreement on the length of Dodge's stay. There are probably other reasons if I could have been a fly on the wall at their conversations. Head coaches just don't get fired in their second year unless there is a possible NCAA infraction.

GrayEagleOne, don't attempt logic. The pure haters just hate. They don't build anything. They don't believe in anything. They just hate. It is like expecting a goose to be able to think beyond a single season - their brains just can't do it.

Yeah! Another "You're Not A Coach" Post.

Obviously, no one should be able to post unless they've been a coach. Never mind that many of us have played and watched the game for 3/4ths of our lives.

It's just so intricate isn't it? I mean, tackling, covering, getting a line that can block for a QB, or one on the other side of the ball to create a consistent pass rush.

And, the level of competitition we've gone 3-18 against. So much tougher than what Ron Prince faced at Kansas State. Or, what Phil Fulmer faced at Tennessee. The Big 12. The SEC. What pushovers compared to the Sun Belt. I mean, who can expect to win more than three games in two years when you take on coaching a Sun Belt school?

Seriously, just look at FIU. Four wins, all against FBS-level schools. A coach in his second year. No games with where opponents scored 70 points during his short tenure. No games this season where the team has given up 50.

It's so hard. It's so hard to understand what Todd Dodge is going through. Waah-waah-waah. And FIU's coach is doing better without "his players." Only a coach could understand why other can do it but Todd Dodge can't. Only a coach.

But, of course, all of this can't be what I'm seeing because I chose to go to law school instead of coaching.

Please.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

setting_low_bar.jpg

Rick Villareal leads North Texas coach Todd Dodge over the bar set by himself and the UNT administration. Ah...one win...looks like he cleared it!

:lol: LOL.

It was a good win considering where we are right now. That's the main problem, where we are right now....still in the kiddie pool while we hope to someday venture into the deep end with the big boys.

Edited by NT80

QUOTE(eulessismore @ Nov 5 2008, 09:01 PM)

Snyder had a 14-20 record after the same number of games, with a lot of 1-AA OOC games.

Which is exactly why he was forced to resign. However, in the 11 years before those two seasons Snyder was 109-29-1. :o

Ron Prince was a first-time head coach, thus..... :blowup:

I wasn't talking about the end of Snyder's career, I was talking about the beginning. Check out the link; you'll have to click to go to the next time frame. I did look, and that was his record at the end also, so you're right, and you did use the emoticons.

Start of Snyder's HC career at KSU

Edited by eulessismore

QUOTE(eulessismore @ Nov 5 2008, 09:01 PM)

I wasn't talking about the end of Snyder's career, I was talking about the beginning. Check out the link; you'll have to click to go to the next time frame. I did look, and that was his record at the end also, so you're right, and you did use the emoticons.

Start of Snyder's HC career at KSU

Yeah, and they didn't even fire Snyder.

Boy, how did that decision come back to bite them on the ass?

Let's face it, the expectations were not high for a quick turnaround under Snyder. He was, like Dodge, having to rebuild a program after a Dickey.