Judging The State Of The Mean Green

Smitty

I think most agree that last week’s game was a real gut-check win for North Texas, and it was a much deserved reward for the seniors who have endured a lot in the past four years.

But now the question is, how significant was that victory in the overall scheme of things? What will make the WKU game not just a momentary success but a real step forward in this program's development?

Recall that we had a moment like this last year when we beat Western Kentucky at Fouts. It looked like a step forward, but it turned out to be a false start when a week later UNT lost to a dreadful FIU team.

However, I think this year’s win over WKU is much more significant than last year’s win. If you look at WKU’s recent results – a 27-13 loss to a 5-3 Virginia Tech, a 24-7 loss to a top-20 Ball State, and a 24-20 loss to FAU – you see three consecutive respectable, competitive games against quality opponents, and that suggests WKU has made real progress this year. Last week's 51 points scored by UNT is the most points WKU has allowed this year, ten more points than they surrendered in road games against Alabama and Kentucky. And after last year's game at Fouts, you know WKU wanted payback against UNT, especially at their homecoming. That was a good win for the Mean Green.

So what does North Texas have to do to build on last week’s win and make real progress this season?

I don’t think a victory this week is necessary to stamp last week as a step forward, but I do think North Texas must be very competitive against FAU. If we fall behind 35-0 this week, if UNT gets hammered by FAU and then by MTSU and ASU, then I’m afraid the WKU victory becomes just another momentary success rather than an indication of real progress. North Texas needs consecutive competitive efforts. It’s time for UNT to build some confidence, build some consistency, and follow up a good performance with a better performance.

By the way, FAU has bounced back from four-straight losses to win two in a row, and they still have a shot at a winning season. This will be a good test to judge the state of the Mean Green.

agreed that this is a great test for the coaches and players. This season has been full of character checks. I think that last week's win gave the players a tangible result of their efforts and they can build from that. Let's hope for the best and give full support to the Mean Green this weekend and the rest of the season.

Agreed...and I think it is time that this board came out in FULL SUPPORT of the Mean Green in its effort to make it two in a row against FAU this Saturday!

It CAN and WILL Happen! GO MEAN GREEN...congrats again...now, get back to work and make it two in a row on the road! You have all shown you can pull together for the win...great effort...nice job all the way around.

BEAT FAU!!!! GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

Every win from here on out is critical, IMO. Every loss is another nail in the coffin for Dodge.

Disagree.

If the team continues to improve over the next 3 games, even though the wins don't come, the excitement will grow around the program as it is.

If the team resorts to getting blown out early, then Dodge will still get a pass on this season.

Next year is TD's year of judgement, not this year. This year he gets a mulligan considering injuries, youth, grades and even coaching mistakes.

It was great to see the fire in the team and get a win against WKU. It was also great to see the defense mount a goal line stand at the end to win it. However, lets be realistic. The defense is not that good (not yet, I think they will be in a few years). They gave up the whole field very quickly to WKU to end up at the goal line. They give up massive amounts of yards, points and worst of all big plays. We gave up 40 to WKU, but we did find a way to win. So, how do we build on that. My hope is the offense continues to click and put up big points to keep us in games and the defense makes a few stops here and there, and at least reduces the giant plays they give up. That may not be enough to win the rest of the season, but hopefully keep us competitive in the remaining games.

Guest GrayEagleOne

The heartening thing about last week's win was that in the final analysis the defense came of age. We've had a decent passing offense all year (although not great at scoring) but after the defense settled in they did not give up that many big plays. That's what I'm hoping that we can build on. Big plays are usually the result of a mistake so maybe we're beginning to see the light bulb coming on for the defense. It certainly did for Nwigwe, Robertson, Kylie Hill and Warren. Williams is also making fewer mistakes. If the defense gives up less than 30 points then I think that we can build on that.

I have no idea what the debate is all about. The state of the Mean Green is...TEXAS!!

I think I'm just asking, what does UNT need to do this week and the rest of the season to be able say that the Mean Green made real progress this year? I do think the WKU win last week was much more significant than last year's WKU win. This was a better WKU team than the one UNT beat a year ago at Fouts. However, I don't think one win equals real progress if UNT follows that win with three more blow out losses, comparable to how UNT followed last year's win over WKU.

My answer is that these next three games are not MUST wins, but the Mean Green does need to be very competitive. If UNT gets steam-rolled in the last three, then I'm not sure you can say the Mean Green made progress this year. But if the Mean Green is competitive with FAU, MTSU, and ASU (and maybe find a way to win one of those games), then I think you can say that North Texas did make some progress this year even if the record does not reflect it.

Just curious about anyone else's expectations the rest of the way.

Smitty, I agree that competetiveness in the last 3 games, if not a win or two, is essential to say we have improved from last year. Based on this year's body of work, I don't know that I can say I expect that. As mentioned above, we'll see whether Saturday night marked a "turning on of the lights" for the Mean Green, or whether the ball just happened to bounce their way for once.

I think the WKY win was as much of a confidence builder for the Dodge staff as it was for the players. Many of the coaches, minus DeLoach, are as green at college wins as the younger players on the team. Confidence for both the players and the coaches may just be what the Dr. ordered. Go Mean Green!!

Edited by GreenAlums

It was great to see the fire in the team and get a win against WKU. It was also great to see the defense mount a goal line stand at the end to win it. However, lets be realistic. The defense is not that good (not yet, I think they will be in a few years). They gave up the whole field very quickly to WKU to end up at the goal line. They give up massive amounts of yards, points and worst of all big plays. We gave up 40 to WKU, but we did find a way to win. So, how do we build on that. My hope is the offense continues to click and put up big points to keep us in games and the defense makes a few stops here and there, and at least reduces the giant plays they give up. That may not be enough to win the rest of the season, but hopefully keep us competitive in the remaining games.

The defense has at least shown some flashes of improvement in the last couple of games (nothing consistent mind you), but they did create some much needed turnovers agaist WKU, as well as a phenomenal goal line stand at the end of the game. The special teams are where I see us needing the most improvement. Outside of Truman Spencer, nothing has been very "special". We are lousy on punt and kickoff coverage, and this has created catastrophic plays that change the course of the game. We can not consistently give up that much field position after doing something positive offensively and expect this young defense to bail us out of the mess. It ain't gonna happen.

here is my list.

Hold someone under 30.

Commit zero turnovers in a game.

Have an opponent average under 30 yards per kickoff return.

Have 2 100+ rushing performances out of the 3 games.

Casey Fitzgerald keeps being Casey Fitzgerald.

No missed/blocked extra points.

Hold opponents under 50% 3rd down conversions.

Win the turnover margin.

Fewer than 6 penalties per game.

Are you talking about North Texas, or the Cowboys.

I think I'm just asking, what does UNT need to do this week and the rest of the season to be able say that the Mean Green made real progress this year? I do think the WKU win last week was much more significant than last year's WKU win. This was a better WKU team than the one UNT beat a year ago at Fouts. However, I don't think one win equals real progress if UNT follows that win with three more blow out losses, comparable to how UNT followed last year's win over WKU.

My answer is that these next three games are not MUST wins, but the Mean Green does need to be very competitive. If UNT gets steam-rolled in the last three, then I'm not sure you can say the Mean Green made progress this year. But if the Mean Green is competitive with FAU, MTSU, and ASU (and maybe find a way to win one of those games), then I think you can say that North Texas did make some progress this year even if the record does not reflect it.

Just curious about anyone else's expectations the rest of the way.

Goals Id like to see...

1. REALLY show kick off/punt coverage improvement. Explosive run-backs need to to quit being the norm as of lately... So many games you read the stats/box score and dont look at the final score, and you'd just assume we won. Good coverage on the kick returns and you can keep a team in check most of the game.

2. IF the D performs 2/3 of what it did against WKU, we'll be fine.

3. At LEAST one more win on the road....

4. Would really like to see some of the underclassmen step up with some great play and establish leadership at the end of this year, heading into next. Dont get me wrong, they're starting to do a great job, but just finish strong and carry over to next year. Casey and Stick cant do it alone.

Edited by trud1966

Well, I expected three wins before WKU. While I'm happy for the team and program finally getting that elusive first win this season, it still will not be a successful season (except for the fee vote) regardless of the finish. We were one foot from losing #9 this year but it was a great defensive stand that stopped it and that is truly something to build on for next week. As for next season, more wins this year would help stir the green koolaid, and we all need that right now!

The defense has at least shown some flashes of improvement in the last couple of games (nothing consistent mind you), but they did create some much needed turnovers agaist WKU, as well as a phenomenal goal line stand at the end of the game. The special teams are where I see us needing the most improvement. Outside of Truman Spencer, nothing has been very "special". We are lousy on punt and kickoff coverage, and this has created catastrophic plays that change the course of the game. We can not consistently give up that much field position after doing something positive offensively and expect this young defense to bail us out of the mess. It ain't gonna happen.

Exactly.

For this team to build upon this win, the coaches need to finally stop trying to run special teams plays....AT ALL. I propose kicking the ball straight out of bounds on every kickoff from here on out. <_<