Bonfire!

emmitt01

not sure the actual statistics but don't only about 35% of people have a college degree? Wouldn't that make about 65% of all college fan's "douchebags" for rooting for a team they don't have a degree from? I work at a large company with people from all over the good ole USA. Several have taken on UNT as an adopted team because they graduated from Maryland, Penn State, Miami etc. and can't make many, if any, games. Does that make them douchebags because they wear NT gear and come to games with me?

No. All fans of North Texas, regardless of previous affiliations or educational accomplishment, are exempt from douchebag status. Everybody knows that (in my best Mr. Crabs voice).

Keith

Edited by keith

Lets face it, not many are adopting North Texas. Many more "adopt" whoever will let them high five other wannabes on the weekend. I admire your friends who come to the NT games with you - they obviously are in this for real and aren't just hopping on the Mean Green bandwagon because of wanting to be associated with a winner. We need many more like them. Obviously that isn't who he was referring to.

He was referring to the guy from sales that has such a pathetic life Monday - Friday that they must find a team that will almost gurantee a win on Saturday. The guy that will tell you how bad your team sucks and how awesome his horns are.

Texas douche is all around - his krytonite is this question: What year did you graduate?

1994 UNT

BBA Finance

1998 TCU

MBA Strategic Planning

I think a lot of this Texas "Douchery" is pure envy. Sure, there are a lot of people that will jump on any winning teams bandwagon, but who cares?. NT is where we are because NT didn't take care of business when we needed to. We as a university need to quite worrying about other schools and do the things we should have done the last 20+ years to get ahead. Personally, I could care less who roots for UT, SMU, USC, OSU etc and why they root for those teams. I am only concerned about the well being of NT and TCU to a lesser extent.

1994 UNT

BBA Finance

1998 TCU

MBA Strategic Planning

I think a lot of this Texas "Douchery" is pure envy. Sure, there are a lot of people that will jump on any winning teams bandwagon, but who cares?. NT is where we are because NT didn't take care of business when we needed to. We as a university need to quite worrying about other schools and do the things we should have done the last 20+ years to get ahead. Personally, I could care less who roots for UT, SMU, USC, OSU etc and why they root for those teams. I am only concerned about the well being of NT and TCU to a lesser extent.

You do understand that if you wear a TCU t-shirt to Fouts you're a TCU Douche right? It matters not that you attended said school.

I think you misread my post. I didnt call anyone a name "because they dont have a degree". Zeke pretty much hit the nail on the head with who Im referring to. I like Marshall, Oh St, USF, Boise St, and TCU with little affiliation to any. But Id never root for any of them over my NT, nor will I claim to love any of those above all else and tell you that you suck because you cheer for a didferent team.

If UT wins out (they should) and OU win out (and therefore beats Tech in Norman in two weeks), then you're looking at a three-way tie for the Big 12 South title. Very realistic possibility. What's the tie-breaker? If it's point differential in those three games, it will be up to OU to run it up on Tech if they can.

Here are the tiebreakers if there is a three way tie:

First, Head to Head (all 2-1)

2nd, Record against other division teams (all one loss)

3rd is record against the 4th place team in division (all Ws)

4th is the Current BCS standings after the regular season

Hundreds of people just threw their UT t-shirts in the fireplace. The Texas douche army just shrunk.

I would bet money that Sporting Goods Stores all over the USA sold more Texas Tech shirts today than they have in all of the time they have stock double T shirts.

BEWARE the Texas Tech douche, at least until they play OU.

Lets face it, not many are adopting North Texas. Many more "adopt" whoever will let them high five other wannabes on the weekend. I admire your friends who come to the NT games with you - they obviously are in this for real and aren't just hopping on the Mean Green bandwagon because of wanting to be associated with a winner. We need many more like them. Obviously that isn't who he was referring to.

He was referring to the guy from sales that has such a pathetic life Monday - Friday that they must find a team that will almost gurantee a win on Saturday. The guy that will tell you how bad your team sucks and how awesome his horns are.

Texas douche is all around - his krytonite is this question: What year did you graduate?

I prefer to call these people "Boot Lickers", and ADLER first used that term on the original Harry's Mean Green Report back in the late 90's I believe it was. It's not that some random college football fan pulls for any certain team, mostly a team that pays for the guaranteed 4 or 5 wins each year. It's the random college football fan that roots for a team who pays for the guaranteed 4 or 5 wins each year and then finds you....the North Texas season ticket holder/Mean Green Club donating alumnus and start telling you how much North Texas sux. They are simply happy to run down your school that you actually earned your degree from while Licking the Boots of another they only wished they had.

And Zeke is absolutely right. The very best way to shut 'em up is to ask them what they recieved their degree in and in what year. By the time they think up a lie the stunning pause gives it away and they usually have nothing else to add.

Boot Lickers! Yuk!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

It is debates like this that make sports fun. I was at a bar in Denton today watching the Cowboys/Giants, and there was one guy rooting for the Giants. I asked him if he was from the east coast, he says no, that he is from Pampa, Texas. I asked then why are you rooting for the Giants? He then says he always roots for whoever is playing the Cowboys. Now where on the spectrum does he fall?

Then another thought to see how trivial this all is, there are a billion people in China who could care less who any of us cheer for or against. :lol:

It is debates like this that make sports fun. I was at a bar in Denton today watching the Cowboys/Giants, and there was one guy rooting for the Giants. I asked him if he was from the east coast, he says no, that he is from Pampa, Texas. I asked then why are you rooting for the Giants? He then says he always roots for whoever is playing the Cowboys. Now where on the spectrum does he fall?

Then another thought to see how trivial this all is, there are a billion people in China who could care less who any of us cheer for or against. :lol:

I always figure pro sports are different. I don't have a degree from Dallas or Arlington or whatever city holds a pro team. I can refer to the Cowboys as "us" but I know that in reality "us" simply refers to the a team that the only relation I have to is that they happen to reside near me. Now when I say "us" when refering to North Texas -- you had better believe I include myself.

In college, you won't be seeing a team become like the old browns or the old oilers. In a way, it is what makes NCAA sports great.

In college, you won't be seeing a team become like the old browns or the old oilers. In a way, it is what makes NCAA sports great.

I don't know about that. I hear tell that past Frisco Mayor Mike Simpson, in his mission of unmitigated expansion for Frisco, extended a bid for relocation to UNT before Dallas Baptist came to town. The proposed site for UNT ended up becoming IKEA instead. I like to call him Mike "If you build it they will come (on the undeveloped 2-lane roads in and out of town)" Simpson.*

*Sorry, this would really only be funny to Frisco residents.

Edited by oldguystudent