Please, Lets Stop The Negative Stuff

Green Dozer

This from the guy wrapping himself in the Cowboys flag?

I'm sorry your sick of the negative talk. I'm sick of the crappy coaching.

If none of this matters (which it doesn't), then stop posting or even reading a college football message football.

I'm sorry the discussion can't be all Rainbows and Kittens, because that's not what this team is right now.

Oh, please! Is this the best you've got. Please go to follow SMU, they've got the great June Jones. Or better yet, why don't you quit posting? Come up with something besides just bashing the you know what out of everything Dodge. Again, I've ask you, who are you going to replace Dodge with that is significantly better at the price we can afford? Please put your money where your mouth is and get Stoops, or even Briles here. And the price we pay, who is going to deliver us from the college football bottom that we are at. That's why we have to play money games, so we can get our you know whats handed to us, and then go play the Western Kentuckys' and Florida Who? teams. You really think there are coaches like you want that are lining up to cut their teeth in the Sun Belt? I don't think it is Rainbows and Kittens, and I sure do not like to lose. And by the way, I am not wrapping myself up in a Cowboys flag. Just pointing out what some patience, committment, perseverance can do if you seriously commit to a coach. No Dodge is not Landry or Johnson, so do not go there.. I am tired of coaches coming here and having to pull rabbits out of hats or turning toad football players into princes. Oh sure, we have beat a tx tech here and there. How about just getting to the level of Fresno State? We have nobody but ourselves as alumni to blame for where we are today. Ones before us threw pennies at this program, and we still do it. Until we put dollars to it, then this is what we get. I don't care to go to many more New Orleans Bowl, I want better. We want a great program at half the price, but it just does not work that way. There may be a coach out there who could have gotten a couple of more wins out of this bunch, but that is about it. And last I checked, the Urban Myers, or even the Gary Patterson's don't work for what we pay. Under our circumstances, this plan is the best to stick with for now. We have tried your way before. Their names were Moore, Jones, Nelson, Parker, Simon, and Dickey. All college experienced coaches (except Dennis Parker and yes I know what he did here), as you want, that did not make a dent in getting this program to where it needs to be. There is more to it than what takes place in the time frame of 60 minutes on a Saturday afternoon. No, we as fans/donors, need to get on board and support this program as it needs to be. You are right, hope isn't going to do it. Got your checkbook out Shaft?

Edited by Green Dozer

It was like watching one of those "pro" boxing matches on Tuesday night with the overweight, out of shape guys who don't really know how to box. Something happened in Bowling Green last wekend, but it wasn't great football from either team. In short, it was like watching Butterbean fight Kimbo Slice.

You see something that maybe was not very pretty. I see first steps in the right direction. You have to crawl before you walk. This will be a program that takes the needed steps to get where it needs to go. It will come with a little pain along the way to getting there. Through pain comes great character, though. GMG

Before the win, this was a sky-is-falling board and everyone was jumping on the magic carpet ride (with posters!)

Now, after a single win over WKU, it's all rainbows and ice cream; yet someone who isn't climbing aboard your ice cream-delicious train to Beth and Mary's to join in fellowship as you praise the return of football Jesus is being bashed.

I actually love all of you, but needed to try and post something that had posters, train, magically delicious, ice cream, rainbows, and Jesus in it.

I kind of feel a hankerin' for some Lucky Charms. See ya'll later.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Before the win, this was a sky-is-falling board and everyone was jumping on the magic carpet ride (with posters!)

Now, after a single win over WKU, it's all rainbows and ice cream; yet someone who isn't climbing aboard your ice cream-delicious train to Beth and Mary's to join in fellowship as you praise the return of football Jesus is being bashed.

I actually love all of you, but needed to try and post something that had posters, train, magically delicious, ice cream, rainbows, and Jesus in it.

I kind of feel a hankerin' for some Lucky Charms. See ya'll later.

Well, that's at least one part of a perfect country song.

I don't know where to start with Dozer's last post? Fresno...Art Biles..Lanrdy...Princesses?

I don't know what your smoking, but please keep it away from the players.

But I will respond to what appears to be the argument the Old Guy is alluding to.

Dozer: We don't have the money for a better coach.

Shaft: 1. Empirically disproved by Dickey.

2. There are lots of D1 assistants that would love a head coaching job.

Dozer: Who should be are next coach

Shaft: The Board put a pretty good list together on the "Next Coach Discussion" thread.

Dozer: The team is underfunded.

Shaft: We're paying too much for 3-18.

Dozer: Write a check

Shaft: I've already stated in another thread that I'm with holding all my financial support for the University until the coaching situation is corrected.

True, there was a long list.

Add Northern Illinois' Jerry Kill to the list: "You still have to do the fundamental things that you've learned coming up, you have to block and tackle. You have to be able to run the football to win." http://niuhuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl...ll_jerry00.html

And, his defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys as well, who has the Huskies ranked #5 in the country in pass defense, #11 in run defense, and #9 in points allowed (13.6 per game). These two resurrected the Southern Illinois program: http://niuhuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl...ys_tracy00.html

At a minimum, bring their secondary/special teams coach Jay Sawvel on to coach the ... secondary and ...special teams. He's good: http://niuhuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl...wvel_jay00.html

Wouldn't it be cool though if say, a year or two from now, we look back at the events in Bowling Green, KY and say "this is where we turned the corner, where the light bulb came on and the trip back to respectability started".

OK, maybe I'm hitting the green kool-aid a little hard but still... wouldn't it be cool?

True, there was a long list.

Add Northern Illinois' Jerry Kill to the list: "You still have to do the fundamental things that you've learned coming up, you have to block and tackle. You have to be able to run the football to win." http://niuhuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl...ll_jerry00.html

And, his defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys as well, who has the Huskies ranked #5 in the country in pass defense, #11 in run defense, and #9 in points allowed (13.6 per game). These two resurrected the Southern Illinois program: http://niuhuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl...ys_tracy00.html

At a minimum, bring their secondary/special teams coach Jay Sawvel on to coach the ... secondary and ...special teams. He's good: http://niuhuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl...wvel_jay00.html

I think it will be very interesting to see how the Jerry Kill led NIU Huskies do against Ball State this coming Saturday. That should be a real test for both teams. I am inclined to think that Joe Novak is the one coach on Tasty's list (of coaches who got off to a horrible start) who may have actually laid a solid foundation for his successor, as well as having had some very good seasons, minus the last one at 2-10.

That said, after reading Jerry Kill's bio on the NIU site (see link below), I don't think of him as someone who will leave after 1 year; too much character. And, as much as I also would love to see Sawvel come to UNT to coach at least special teams, Kill did a great job of keeping his assistants on board at SIU, as well as previous schools (Emporia State?). I do think we should view it as realistic that we could pick off an assistant or two per year the quality of Sawvel. That's my hope, anyway.

Jerry Kill Bio

Edited by eulessismore

I will again throw my hat in this ring in support of a bit less "negative stuff" on this board. There is a difference between "placing one's head directly in the sand" and in doing one's best to support the team and it's coaching staff. On the other hand, it is way too easy to criticize everything that gos on and absolutely refuse to see any positive progress. Holding back one's support is much like saying "the floggings will continue until morale improves". This program needs our support...both $$$$ and "rerasrs" in the seats...

I say it is time to sit back and chill a bit between WINS...let's see if this board cannot, at least for a few days, get back to being a great place for the Mean Green faithful. If you can only be so kind as to "play nice" for a day or two????

I don't know where to start with Dozer's last post? Fresno...Art Biles..Lanrdy...Princesses?

I don't know what your smoking, but please keep it away from the players.

But I will respond to what appears to be the argument the Old Guy is alluding to.

Dozer: We don't have the money for a better coach.

Shaft: 1. Empirically disproved by Dickey.

2. There are lots of D1 assistants that would love a head coaching job.

Dozer: Who should be are next coach

Shaft: The Board put a pretty good list together on the "Next Coach Discussion" thread.

Dozer: The team is underfunded.

Shaft: We're paying too much for 3-18.

Dozer: Write a check

Shaft: I've already stated in another thread that I'm with holding all my financial support for the University until the coaching situation is corrected.

Again, you miss my points, but I am obviously talking to a wall. No, we don't have the money for better coach and am talking 750K to 1 mil for a coach that will generate any kind of real support or interest from fans and recruiting. No fans don't come to watch the coach, but I do not want some has been like Weatherbie. As for the list, we are dreaming at this point. Yes we are underfunded, have been for years. Your hero, Dickey said so many times. As for your check, I doubt you were giving before now anyway, so it is not missed now.

Shaft...it just ain't THAT bad! I know you really are a Mean Green fan, and you have my respect and admiration and thanks for your support. If you are upset with the current coaching staff, well, consider those who were upset with the last staff who did not withdraw their support! It is UNT after all...home of the Mean Green...there are programs other than football you can support while you "remove" yourself from the football program until your idea of a "perfect coach" arrives...who knows, that might even turn out to be none other than our very own Coach Dodge if given a year or two more to get it turned around...we have all been "here before" and we have endured...we will endure these losses also, but we will do it TOGETHER as a united MEAN GREEN NATION. Please reconsider your rigid position on this and think about other programs you CAN support.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.