How Did We Get Here?

StealthEagle84

I was just discussing with a friend the other day how I was excited about the new stadium and how I think I will improve the university as a whole (not just athletics). He said it was a huge waste of money and we should look to spend that money elsewhere. I politely disagreed. But then I got to thinking about how far this program has fallen since the 2002 season.

If you look back on the '02 season, you'll see how close North Texas Football was to competing on a national stage. Let's start with the game at Texas. Outside of our special teams allowing Nathan Vasher to kill us on the point returns, we did an excellent job. We held UT to 214 total yards of offense, Benson only had 49 yards rushing on 18 carries, and we sacked Simms 8 times. The only reason they scored so much was b/c they had such a short field in the first half. Then look at the game vs. TCU, who went 10-2 that year. We held them to 176 yards total offense. Also, Marshall dropped the fade route in the endzone right before the half that if my memory doesn't mistake me, would have given us the lead going into halftime. Then there was the game at Arizona where we out gained the 'Cats by over 100 yards and got jobbed on the goal line call on 4th and goal that would have won the game. Then there was the game vs. South Florida where we turned the ball over 4 or 5 times and we were still within a touchdown. All 4 of those games were vs. top-notch teams and look where those teams have gone since then. Arizona is now competing every week in the PAC-10, South Florida is now in a BCS conference and competing very well, and TCU is consistently on the verge of being a BCS buster, and Texas is well, Texas.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2002/Internet/r...2000000497.HTML

I guess what I am trying to understand is how did we get from point A, where we could compete on a national level, to point B, where we are literally the worst team in the nation? Please post your thoughts on how you think we got here.

My personal opinion is that the Dickey regime started taking some chances on some questionable characters that never matured through the program. Either they didn't make it on the field due to grades or other off the field issues and it had a spiral effect. At a school like North Texas, where we lack depth, we don't have a whole lot of room for mistakes. I also believe we are lacking some leadership, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

I think that Dickey sorta got the big head after some success and began to get a little lazy in recruiting. I think he put too much emphasis on his 'stealth' recruiting of marginal kids. Eventually it caught up with him, coupled with the rise of other SunBelt programs. The eventual outcome is where we are now.

I think that Dickey sorta got the big head after some success and began to get a little lazy in recruiting. I think he put too much emphasis on his 'stealth' recruiting of marginal kids. Eventually it caught up with him, coupled with the rise of other SunBelt programs. The eventual outcome is where we are now.

Add to that some poor decision in the post-Dickey era and I'll agree with your reply.

You are both correct on DD getting lazy, or not focusing on it enough, or whatever it was. But his recruiting in the last years was terrible. Lot's of players that didn't make it on campus, quit, didn't pan out. Take a look at some of DD's last few classes and see how many names you recoginize. You ask most people in the know what the key to winning is in college ball, and they will tell you recruiting. I think Ole Green Guts even said it the other day, it's not the X's and O's its the Jimmy's and the Joe's. This upcoming recruiting class for TD will be a big one for where this program goes. Keep the influx of good young players coming, but more importantly get some Juco help along the D-line. A couple of big bodies in the middle and another DE to complimant Gilmore.

Kartey Agbottah DB

Ajani Banks OL

Charley Brown TE

Antoine Bush ATH

Jimmy Chaney TE

Desmon Chatman

David Collins DE

Jack Crumes OL

Eddrick Gilmore

Bryan Glass OL

Dominique Green DB

Mike Mazzola OL

Joseph Miller OL

Tobe Nwigwe LB

Gary Oubre DB

Robert Peachey DT

Chase Pistole DT

Willie Ransom DE

Evan Robertson RB

Jonathan Stewart DT

Arthur Stubblefield DB

Demario Thomas ATH

Steve Warren ath

Korey Washington

Brian Carlson DT

Kelvin Drake OL

Nick Foster OL

Robert Gordon DB

Kail Krider DE

Roy Loren DB

Matt Menard DT

Chris Neal ATH

Sam Owusu-Hemeng DE

Tim Patton DT

Kendrick Ridge DT

Craig Robertson LB

Draylen Ross DE

Esteban Santiago DT

Bryant Seidle TE

Trent Stanley OL

Marquis Sykes DE

Woody Wilson

The DD years were not that impressive if you consider the majority of his wins were against mostly new 1-A moveups in the newly formed SBC. Only 3 of his 9 years were winning seasons for a total record of 42-64. The SBC teams have now become better with experience and we took some chances in recruiting that didn't pan out.

As for the stadium issue, the statement: "He said it was a huge waste of money and we should look to spend that money elsewhere." is a common misconception that this money was already there waiting to be spent on any project. This "future" money was voted on for the specific purpose of athletics, not for any area of the university to be used for any project. It's not extra money the university has laying around.

Since the Andrew Smith death.....we have gone on this downward spiral.

Except that we went to the New Orleans Bowl the season after Smith died. The downward spiral started after Scott Hall graduated.

Speaking of Smith's death, I wonder if the circumstances around his death have come up in Dodge led locker room discussions of late.