No One Answered Me In Another Thread So I Will Ask Again....

What are your expectations for this thing for the long haul? Let's say Dodge sticks around, turns it around like we all hope he does. What is "turning it around" to you? What do you see happening? I have trouble relating to some on this board because I think I don't understand what your expectations are. Are we thinking just competing? Sun Belt champs? BCS contender?

Give me some feedback, I want to know what you guys honestly want from this thing.

Thanks in advance.

What are your expectations for this thing for the long haul? Let's say Dodge sticks around, turns it around like we all hope he does. What is "turning it around" to you? What do you see happening? I have trouble relating to some on this board because I think I don't understand what your expectations are. Are we thinking just competing? Sun Belt champs? BCS contender?

Give me some feedback, I want to know what you guys honestly want from this thing.

Thanks in advance.

sorry i apparently posted twice.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I expect us to be SBC champions again....and beyond. Like Adler has said many times this is a GREAT UNIVERSITY. There is no reason why we can't be regularly in the top 20.....if not higher. We were once nationally ranked with a LOT LESS in the way of resources committed to the program.

But this can't happen with just a football team full of great potential. We need ADMINISTRATORS AND ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT STAFF TO HAVE THE SAME ATTITUDE.

While I don't expect this program to compete regularly with the OU's and UT's, I do not see why UNT cannot produce the same kind of success that Texas Tech and TCU achieve. Texas Tech and North Texas are very similar schools in size and location. Of course, we would have to dominate the Sun Belt for a while and move into a different conference for that kind of success to happen.

As far as TD goes, at this point I would like to see us competing for a Sun Belt Title in his 4th year. That is not too much to ask.

I look for the Mean Green to consistantly compete for the conference crown in whatever conference they are in and play in post-season bowl games on a fairly regular basis. My goal would also be to get the Mean Green into a higher rated conference with some "local" flavor where some real year-end and year-out rivalry games can develop...and close enough for a fairly easy drive to away games...OK, I am just wishing about that, but the first sentance is what I am looking to for this program.

There you go....GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

While I don't expect this program to compete regularly with the OU's and UT's, I do not see why UNT cannot produce the same kind of success that Texas Tech and TCU achieve. Texas Tech and North Texas are very similar schools in size and location. Of course, we would have to dominate the Sun Belt for a while and move into a different conference for that kind of success to happen.

As far as TD goes, at this point I would like to see us competing for a Sun Belt Title in his 4th year. That is not too much to ask.

Completely agree. I think we can reach the levels of success that TCU has achieved. Conference contender, Top 20 program, and in the mix for a BCS bowl. That's the long-term goal, regardless of who the coach is.

Stage -1: literally the worst team in the nation

Stage 0: out of the bottom 10

Stage 1: competitive in most games (excludes OU's, etc.)

Stage 2: consistent > .500 record

Stage 3: perennial winner/challenger for SBC championship

Stage 4: legitimately ranked in top 50

Stage 5: break the top 25 ranking

Dream 1: make it into top 10

I have always thought that there is no reason that this big of a school in Texas shouldn't be able to attain Stage 4 and eventually reach Stage 5. This would put us near par with TCU/Tech. I think it's a long shot for us to ever make the top 10.

Back when Marshall broke onto the scene after being in 1AA, I felt that it should have been us in the early 90s. While we hadn't won national champs., we had been a strong 1AA team and I hoped we were moving up as we went to 1A. When I saw how Marshall was able to have such success, I wondered why we couldn't do the same.

The problem now is that we have backed all the way to Stage -1, so we have a long way to go.

I was skeptical of the TD hiring and so far it is going bad, but I do hope he really is making things happen that will create success in the future. Similarly, I'm skeptical of the reasoning behind the drug test, but if it was done for the right reasons and these actions are fostering a quality team, then I think we will eventually reap the rewards of his actions.

gk

Whoa! Hold the phone! We're sitting here at #119 and an 0-who's knows how many record and people are talking BCS busters for expectations? Baby steps kids, baby steps! In the foreseeable future I'd like to see first a win. Second, a record at or above .500. Third, participation in a bowl game.

Moving up to conference champion, a better conference, top 20 ranking and BCS buster status is an admirable goal, but I don't see any of that happening in the next decade. There's just simply too much rebuilding to get through. If it were that easy to accomplish, our dear friends down on Mockingbird lane would have gotten there years ago.

I don't know how Boise State has done it in such a short time. I don't know how South Florida has risen to national prominence so fast (were they in the Big East before football?)

The non-BCS example I can cite that I've witnessed is Fresno State. That place has rabid regional-wide support. As the Bulldogs go, so goes the central valley.

18,000 fans at a game for a o'fer team is impressive, but it's not the support necessary to think that throwing a few million dollars will yield us a nationally competitive team in a couple years.

Let's see some tangible improvement. Any improvement at all, and we can reassess the goals from there.

That's a tough one. Do we want a .500 team that we can be proud of or a bowl contender that we have to wonder what the next "arrest" headline is going to be?

I realize that it's not an either-or situation, but many of the successful teams have done it with players that I wouldn't really be proud to have. Think of UMiami of the 80s/90s.

gk

New stadium and a team of talented thugs and we will be golden.

That's a tough one. Do we want a .500 team that we can be proud of or a bowl contender that we have to wonder what the next "arrest" headline is going to be?

I realize that it's not an either-or situation, but many of the successful teams have done it with players that I wouldn't really be proud to have. Think of UMiami of the 80s/90s.

gk

It is my belief that winning cures everything. If you are really good, you will have more people come to games, more donors to athletics and more donation to the university in general due to visibility. I dont think we will become an arrest headline like we say with Miami back in those times but I say we need thugs because alot of them are the talented ones unfortunately.

What are your expectations for this thing for the long haul? Let's say Dodge sticks around, turns it around like we all hope he does. What is "turning it around" to you?

My definition of "turning it around" would be simply to stop getting our ass kicked week in and week out and actually start winning a few games. We've sunk sooooo low that turning it around shouldn't be hard to do because we have no other direction to go. However, my expectations for the "long haul" differ quite drastically from simply turning it around. My expectations are that we become what Todd Dodge assured us we could become; "The team of the metroplex". In order to become that we need to have a winning record, conference championship and go bowling. We need to eventually get to the same level that TCU currently enjoys. I don't expect us to be a Top 25 team in the next two years but I would hope we could be Top 50 again, as we were just a few years ago. Our SBC brethren have been upsetting BCS schools over the last two years while we've been getting our asses handed to us by Rice, Tulsa and FIU. I can't remember a time when I've been more embarrassed of UNT football than I have been these last two years.

Well here is what I thought we would see with Dodge:

Year 1: 3-9

Year 2: 5-7

Year 3: 6-6

Year 4: 8-4

Year 5: 8-4

But now here is what I see:

Year 1: 2-10

Year 2: 0-12

Year 3: 3-9

Year 4: 5-7

Year 5: 6-6

Year 6: 7-5

Ok, I'll play along with your format. Here's my before:

Year 1: 6-6

Year 2: 8-4

Year 3: 9-3

Year 4: 10-2

And my after (1 1/2 seasons):

Year 1: 2-10

Year 2: 0-12

Year 3: 0-6 - Dodge gets fired mid-season and his replacement wins 1 game making our record 1-11

Year 4: 2-10 - Everyone tells us how we need to be patient while the new coach gets his players in place.

Year 5: 0-12 - Do you see a pattern here? :blink:

Year 3: 0-6 - Dodge gets fired mid-season and his replacement wins 1 game making our record 1-11

Year 4: 2-10 - Everyone tells us how we need to be patient while the new coach gets his players in place.

Year 5: 0-12 - Do you see a pattern here? :blink:

No way that happens twice. I sense a successful D2 or D1AA coach for the next round. Somebody who knows the college game and is driven to make a name for themselves. I think it goes like this.

Year 4: 4-8 - The wins come against 2 1AA teams, Western Kentucky and FIU. Everyone complains that we can't beat a "real" 1A team.

Year 5: 7-5 - We go to one of those new Sun Belt bowls and play somewhere in Fargo ND. We eke out a win over Elko St U. Fry Street goes nuts.

Year 6: 10-2 - After an 8-0 start, including incredible squeakers against two Big XII teams, we are upset mid-season by MTSU and Ark St. We go to and win the New Orleans Bowl. Bourbon street goes nuts. We sing the praises of the new coach, erect a bronze statue in front of the stadium, and get ready for the BCS next year.

Year 6 1/2 - Our brilliant coach is offered $2 Million to once again turn around the floundering University of Washington Huskies. UNT counter offers with $17/hr and a 1 week rental (subcompact) from Enterprise. Seattle residents rejoice. 50c cocktail night on Fry Street becomes so crowded with people drowning their sorrows that the fire marshall shuts it down and has condos erected.

Year 6 3/4 - UNT goes on a "national search" for a relevant coach. It hangs out a "help wanted" sign offering approximately 20% of the going rate for winning 1A programs. Frisco High School wins its fourth consecutive 4A state championship. The coach drives on over to Denton for a little talk.....

If Dodge does turn it around, I'm expecting what we got from Dickey but with more OOC competitiveness, maybe even breaking into the BCS a year or two after the first few SBC rings and NOBowl appearances.

And maybe 10 or so years down the road after that, a new coach, better players and the same success that the big Texas 3 enjoy. That's the kind of turnaround I want to see. And if that doesn't include Dodge, then so be it.

The non-BCS example I can cite that I've witnessed is Fresno State. That place has rabid regional-wide support. As the Bulldogs go, so goes the central valley.

Let's go Dogs B)

There were about 25,000 Fresno State fans that invaded the Rose Bowl this year against UCLA. The support in the region is crazy.

gk

I'm proud every time one of our guys get arrested.

Calling 9-1-1 from the back of a cop car is classic.

No One cares about thugs that win, they care about thugs to that loose.

Just ask Simon about the VCRs.

We've sunk sooooo low that turning it around shouldn't be hard to do because we have no other direction to go.

I ask myself this week, what else could happen that truely would be lower or send us lower than where we are now, and I think if we get beat saturday by more than 20 points, that would be lower.