T D

Ole Green Guts

Got5, I would disagree with your comment about talent. NT has, by the recruiting experts opinions, put together two very good classes in 07 and 08. My concern would be that Dodge succeed at SLC and not anywhere else as a head coach.

I don't mean to call anyone out, but here are our recruiting rankings according to Rivals from 2002-08:

2002 - 110

2003 - 83

2004 - 72

2005 - 94

2006 - 111

2007 - 113

2008 - 86

According to this particular set of experts, 2004 was our best recruiting class, which included Meager, Thomas, Chapman, etc. Theoretically, our best season should have been 2007 when these guys were redshirt juniors and seniors. For what it's worth, Troy was ranked 73 in 2004 and finished 8-4 last season. However, there are many more variables to consider than just initial perceptions of raw talent. Regardless, I think the "cupboard left bare" theory doesn't give enough credit to some of our juniors and seniors these last two years. That doesn't necessarily mean that Dodge walked into a perfect situation; I just think we should stop telling our players how much they lack talent.

I don't mean to call anyone out, but here are our recruiting rankings according to Rivals from 2002-08:

2002 - 110

2003 - 83

2004 - 72

2005 - 94

2006 - 111

2007 - 113

2008 - 86

According to this particular set of experts, 2004 was our best recruiting class, which included Meager, Thomas, Chapman, etc. Theoretically, our best season should have been 2007 when these guys were redshirt juniors and seniors. For what it's worth, Troy was ranked 73 in 2004 and finished 8-4 last season. However, there are many more variables to consider than just initial perceptions of raw talent. Regardless, I think the "cupboard left bare" theory doesn't give enough credit to some of our juniors and seniors these last two years. That doesn't necessarily mean that Dodge walked into a perfect situation; I just think we should stop telling our players how much they lack talent.

That was a very good class, but not comparable to the 2008 class in terms of Rivals rankings. The team rankings take a number of extraneous factors into consideration. Look at it by seeing what we actually recruited. The 2004 class had 2 3-star players and an average star ranking of 2.11. The 2008 class had 8 3-star commits, and an average star ranking of 2.30. Just sayin'.

That was a very good class, but not comparable to the 2008 class in terms of Rivals rankings. The team rankings take a number of extraneous factors into consideration. Look at it by seeing what we actually recruited. The 2004 class had 2 3-star players and an average star ranking of 2.11. The 2008 class had 8 3-star commits, and an average star ranking of 2.30. Just sayin'.

You're absolutely correct, and I do think 2008 was an impressive class. I'm just pointing out that according to the supposed "experts" 2004 was better relative to other teams' recruiting. Of course Rivals does not take into account what team best filled its own needs, which may make all the difference in the world.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I think you guys in the '4 years to turn it around' camp are missing something. He didn't just not turn it around. He drove it right down as far in the sewer as it can go. We are not just losing. We are getting BLOWN OUT EVERY TIME. Nonetheless I will hold to the concept that it makes no sense to change until NT is willing to find a way to pay three times more for coaches. My suggestion is for NT to start fundraising for that money soon, loudly and often. You really have to wonder though if the team would do any worse if, for example, they let the head coaching position rotate each week among the NT dancers.

I think you guys in the '4 years to turn it around' camp are missing something. He didn't just not turn it around. He drove it right down as far in the sewer as it can go. We are not just losing. We are getting BLOWN OUT EVERY TIME.

Try not to look at the facts, numbers and statistics. Don't look and evaluate the fact that the coaches can't get along or that 15% of the team has a drug problem, ect, ect, ect.....just follow JuB JuB's lead from this morning on Muse in the News.

Just plan on coming by Tasty's tent each week to eat cookies and get your face painted by Quoner and you will enjoy watching this team much more.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Just plan on coming by Tasty's tent each week to eat cookies and get your face painted by Quoner and you will enjoy watching this team much more.

I guess you are right if those are the same cookies the players have been eating.