Vito Gets Revenge On Dodge, Rv

Brett Vito is home right now making room in his trophy case for a major award from the Associated Press Sports Editors.

Vito won't thank Todd Dodge or Rick Villarreal when he accepts the award for breaking the story of 15 UNT football players who failed drug tests. But he should, because it was the incompetance and uncooperative nature of Dodge and RV that made this story possible.

Since the day he was hired, Dodge went out of his way to make an enemy out of the only full-time journalist assigned to UNT athletics. Dodge did not return phone calls, he blocked access to the program and went out of his way to leak stories to rival papers to make Vito look bad. Dodge, RV and co. even had closed-door meetings with Belo sports editors where they demanded that Vito either be fired or removed from the UNT beat.

The embarrassing story about the failed drug tests should never have been made public. And it wouldn't have been made public if Dodge could have played nice with Vito. Stories like this were known but not reported on during the Dickey regime because Dickey would play ball with the local media. Dickey returned calls, he gave access to the program, he would answer questions off-the-record. Dickey made the day-to-day life of the local media easier, so the local media did not go out of its way to make him look bad. The local media did this because they had a good working relationship to protect (of course, some stories like arrests, etc could not be stifled). Vito had no such relationship with Dodge. Since Dodge was only giving Vito the bare minimum access and cooperation. Vito had nothing to lose by using the Freedom of Information Act to break this story. He can't ruin a relationship that sucks anyway.

Congratulations Brett Vito. You broke one heck of a story and made the people who have been trying to destroy you look incompetent in the process.

Brett Vito is home right now making room in his trophy case for a major award from the Associated Press Sports Editors.

Vito won't thank Todd Dodge or Rick Villarreal when he accepts the award for breaking the story of 15 UNT football players who failed drug tests. But he should, because it was the incompetance and uncooperative nature of Dodge and RV that made this story possible.

Since the day he was hired, Dodge went out of his way to make an enemy out of the only full-time journalist assigned to UNT athletics. Dodge did not return phone calls, he blocked access to the program and went out of his way to leak stories to rival papers to make Vito look bad. Dodge, RV and co. even had closed-door meetings with Belo sports editors where they demanded that Vito either be fired or removed from the UNT beat.

The embarrassing story about the failed drug tests should never have been made public. And it wouldn't have been made public if Dodge could have played nice with Vito. Stories like this were known but not reported on during the Dickey regime because Dickey would play ball with the local media. Dickey returned calls, he gave access to the program, he would answer questions off-the-record. Dickey made the day-to-day life of the local media easier, so the local media did not go out of its way to make him look bad. The local media did this because they had a good working relationship to protect (of course, some stories like arrests, etc could not be stifled). Vito had no such relationship with Dodge. Since Dodge was only giving Vito the bare minimum access and cooperation. Vito had nothing to lose by using the Freedom of Information Act to break this story. He can't ruin a relationship that sucks anyway.

Congratulations Brett Vito. You broke one heck of a story and made the people who have been trying to destroy you look incompetent in the process.

To your point about Dodge not playing nice or fair with the local media, I think you're spot on.

But Vito didn't break this story out of spite. The fact that it has been picked up nationally should be proof enough that the story was big enough that it wouldn't have gotten buried. This isn't a guy getting drunk on Bourbon Street... This is one out of every five players failing a drug test. Smaller stuff gets buried or ignored when there's a friendly relationship, but this is way too big of a story to dodge, for lack of a better term.

Even if Vito were Troy Phillips' twin brother and did most of his reporting from Todd Dodge's lap, this story would have broken somewhere else. This was too widely known to fade into oblivion.

Thank god he is not a UNT blow hard and apologist. Last time I checked this was his job. Worst post of the day if not a long long time.

To your point about Dodge not playing nice or fair with the local media, I think you're spot on.

But Vito didn't break this story out of spite. The fact that it has been picked up nationally should be proof enough that the story was big enough that it wouldn't have gotten buried.

As you know, following up on a Freedom of Information request is a lot of work. Vito is really the only person uniquely positioned (because he is getting paid for it) to follow through on a FOI on this subject. In my opinion, if Vito had decided to not to pursue this story then this issue would have been something that was whispered about among people close to the program but it would not have been brought to light. No other journalistic entity would have pursued the story. I guess the NT Daily could have, but even Dodge and RV are probably smart enough to get around releasing information to them.

Edited by MeanGreenMommyness

As you know, following up on a Freedom of Information request is a lot of work. Vito is really the only person uniquely positioned (because he is getting paid for it) to follow through on a FOI on this subject. In my opinion, if Vito had decided to not to pursue this story then this issue would have been something that was whispered about among people close to the program but it would not have been brought to light. No other journalistic entity would have pursued the story. I guess the NT Daily could have, but even Dodge and RV are probably smart enough to get around releasing information to them.

No, there was quite a bit of information floating around the last two months. Not at the pieces, of course, but a lot of smoke. Someone with some time would have started to dig. I've no doubt one of the players (who passed) probably would have told his parents and then it's out.

College coaches really can't control the media. Barry Stwitzer thought he could and it didn't work out that way. And in case you didn't know it, the reporter who led the investigation for the Daily Oklahoman got a promotion.

Wow, sounds like one of the players' moms is mad. Was he one of the 15 that failed or one who never played? Look, we are all upset about it, Vito didnt break any bombshell. Some of us on the board alread knew. I thought it would come out sooner. You think Vito is mad cause he couldnt get into Dodge's and RV's playhouse? The way he has spun some of the stories, I wouldn't let him in either. Get over it.

Wow, sounds like one of the players' moms is mad. Was he one of the 15 that failed or one who never played? Look, we are all upset about it, Vito didnt break any bombshell. Some of us on the board alread knew. I thought it would come out sooner. You think Vito is mad cause he couldnt get into Dodge's and RV's playhouse? The way he has spun some of the stories, I wouldn't let him in either. Get over it.

That is the truth, Vito should not hide anything that is his job. But with his commentary has gone out of his way to be a douche. Screw him. Several here had it figured out weeks ago minus a couple of details, no glory here.

That is the truth, Vito should not hide anything that is his job. But with his commentary has gone out of his way to be a douche. Screw him. Several here had it figured out weeks ago minus a couple of details, no glory here.

He knew it the same time as many of us did. He just didn't have anyone to go on the record or produce evidence worthy of a news story right away.

He knew it the same time as many of us did. He just didn't have anyone to go on the record or produce evidence worthy of a news story right away.

Regardless it was not much of a secret, and I still can't stand Vito's commentary.

...I still can't stand Vito's commentary.

He keeps the commentary on the blog...and actual, factual reporting in his articles. He does a great job of keeping the two separate.

The truth hurts sometimes. I, for one, applaud Brett for being ballsy enough to go after this story. Dodge's lapdog, Troy Phillips, sure as hell wasn't going to touch it.

OK, I'll take the bait.

What were Dodge and the athletic department reacting to from day one? What sparked the rift?

i think it is funny that some of you are mad at vito.

I am not mad at Vito at all, I think he reported what needed to be reported no big deal for a reporter, not a hard story to crack. I think he is a douche when he puts his spin on things,and constantly looks for cheap shock value in his blogs aimed at UNT fans. This story needed to be public,no doubt about it, but no awards need to be handed out on this one.

I think he is a douche when he puts his spin on things,and constantly looks for cheap shock value in his blogs aimed at UNT fans. This story needed to be public,no doubt about it, but no awards need to be handed out on this one.

Putting his spin on things is what the blog allows. ¡Newsflash!...Blogs are opinion pieces. Once again, the truth hurts, yet you take it out on the guy reporting it rather than the people committing the sins.

Maybe, just maybe, he wouldn't have a reason to "aim at UNT fans", so you claim, in his blogs if they would stop calling him a douche when he does his job properly. You all hate him because he's not your beloved Tim MacMahon...but, you need to face the facts that even Timmy Mac would have essentially the same things to say about this program (and, for that matter, it's fans...whom even I am starting to loathe more and more each day I read this board) if he were locked out & intentionally misdirected by Todd Dodge and the rest of the UNT Athletic Department the way Brett Vito has. Considering the crap Vito has had to deal with from North Texas Athletics officials and fans, I think he has remained a steady, even-handed journalist.

All I'm hearing is a bunch of misguided anger towards the guy who did exactly what you people complain about the most in regards to the local media...he reported the story with honesty and fairness. He dotted the "i's", crossed the "t's", didn't go as far as to name names (when he very well could have)...which is more than you can say for most journalists of any discipline in the North Texas market. I'm not saying it's an award-winning piece by any means...but it is reporting by the book.

Putting his spin on things is what the blog allows. ¡Newsflash!...Blogs are opinion pieces. Once again, the truth hurts, yet you take it out on the guy reporting it rather than the people committing the sins.

Maybe, just maybe, he wouldn't have a reason to "aim at UNT fans", so you claim, in his blogs if they would stop calling him a douche when he does his job properly. You all hate him because he's not your beloved Tim MacMahon...but, you need to face the facts that even Timmy Mac would have essentially the same things to say about this program (and, for that matter, it's fans...whom even I am starting to loathe more and more each day I read this board) if he were locked out & intentionally misdirected by Todd Dodge and the rest of the UNT Athletic Department the way Brett Vito has. Considering the crap Vito has had to deal with from North Texas Athletics officials and fans, I think he has remained a steady, even-handed journalist.

All I'm hearing is a bunch of misguided anger towards the guy who did exactly what you people complain about the most in regards to the local media...he reported the story with honesty and fairness. He dotted the "i's", crossed the "t's", didn't go as far as to name names (when he very well could have)...which is more than you can say for most journalists of any discipline in the North Texas market. I'm not saying it's an award-winning piece by any means...but it is reporting by the book.

Have you people read T-Mac's blog work for the Cowboys, Mavs and other Colleges lately? If you think Vito's inciting you in a rage, I strongly suggest you talk to the Mavs Pr people, fans of programs besides tech and ask the Cowboys writers why they now call him Tabloid Timmy.

I am not mad at Vito at all, I think he reported what needed to be reported no big deal for a reporter, not a hard story to crack. I think he is a douche when he puts his spin on things,and constantly looks for cheap shock value in his blogs aimed at UNT fans. This story needed to be public,no doubt about it, but no awards need to be handed out on this one.

I always thought his name was Brett Farve Tito!?!??!XXX!!!?####! What the blank do I know anyway. My wife says I knopw little to nothing. Sorry, & good morning?

If Todd Dodge can't deal with Vito and this board, then he better forget ever coaching in the Big 12 or the Big Ten or the SEC or the Big East or the PAC 10, etc. etc. etc.

Cause this is the minor leagues of press attention and fan scrutiny.

Edited by Smitty

OK, I'll take the bait.

What were Dodge and the athletic department reacting to from day one? What sparked the rift?

The rift began because Dodge doesn't understand the real media. He thinks he should be able to control Vito like he could control the high school puff piece writers he dealt with at Southlake Carroll. Stories would be breaking at UNT and Vito, whose income depends on his ability to be the first to report them, would try to get information from Dodge and Dodge would outright lie, refuse to comment or send Vito on a wild goose chase on purpose to get him off the scent. Frustrated by this, Vito would have to go to other sources (many of whom Dodge ordered not to talk to Vito) or do Lois Lane-type journalism like going through trash cans or sneaking into unlocked offices to get the information us as fans want him to write about. This pissed Dodge off even more and he further attempted to cut off Vito and the conflict continues. The real losers are us UNT fans, who are denied authentic news about our beloved athletic program.

Vito, whose income depends on his ability to be the first to report them, would try to get information from Dodge and Dodge would outright lie, refuse to comment or send Vito on a wild goose chase on purpose to get him off the scent.

The real losers are us UNT fans, who are denied authentic news about our beloved athletic program.

And this is different from any other news outlet how?

And once again, many knew about this before Vito "broke the story" so how were we the real losers.

Grow up!

And this is different from any other news outlet how?

And once again, many knew about this before Vito "broke the story" so how were we the real losers.

Grow up!

Maybe this is why sometimes, even when "everyone" has heard something, you still wait to have on the record confirmation before running with the story.

http://www.theworldofisaac.com/2008/10/rob...es-stories.html

I would have been pissed if Vito had reported this early without as much on the record and would rip him as much vigor as you seem to have for attacking every new poster on the board.

Grow up!

We are the real losers when Vito is trying to report the truth and Dodge does inappropriate things to hide the truth or prevent Vito from reporting it. UNT fans deserve the truth. That is all. I am aware that many people knew about this issue before Vito reported it, that almost makes my point. A lot of rumors or misinformation was floating around. The truth got out only when Vito went to extraordinary means to report it. I contend that Vito would not have gone to extraordinary means to report this story and it would never have become A NATIONAL HEADLINE if Vito had a good relationship with the UNT athletic department to protect.

Did you really tell me to "Grow up!"? Really?