Questions From A Newbie

gsufanatic

I'll start off by saying I'm impressed with your messageboard and your fan enthusiasm in a down year! It looks like the program is fairly forward thinking with the new developments with your stadium, etc.

I'll be relocating to the North Dallas/McKinney area in January and I'm a diehard football fan. I've been an extremely loyal Georgia Southern fan since my years at the school earlier in the decade when we won 2 I-AA championships. Moving to a new area I'm looking to "adopt" a program to root for and support and after hanging around your board for a few weeks I'm thinking I might have found a winner (SMU appears to be in last place).

What can you guys tell me about the gameday experience, etc...you know, anything a newcomer would want to know. At my school we generally have about 18,000 fans for a game and a good 6-8 hours of tailgating beforehand. It's more of a party atmosphere and makes for a great way to spend a fall Saturday. I saw that tailgating just started about 7 years ago in Denton. Has it really taken off?

Thanks for any info you can give me...I look forward to catching a few games soon!

WELCOME ABOARD AND WELCOME TO THE AREA. Yes, tailgating has taken off at UNT. The reason it appears to be "new" (7 years) is that it was not allowed for many years prior to that. This last weekend we had a great turnout for tailgating...and I can assure you that tailgating at UNT is far better than at SMU! SMU tries to emulate Ole Miss, but does a very poor job. Tailgating at UNT is REAL! It is also getting better and better, and your "experience" would be welcome...experienced tailgaters are ALWAYS welcome at UNT.

Even with our on-field record this year, tailgating is growing and the gameday experience is better and better each game. I arrived about 3 1/2 hours before our game Saturday and things were going great...was invited into several tailgate tents and met several members of this board and the Mean Green Nation as a whole.

Come on to Denton and UNT for gameday and give it a shot...you'll love it.

That being said, our next home game (last one of the year) is not until the Saturday after Thanksgiving against Ark. State when students are out for T-Day break...lack of student attendance and weather might prove a challenge for tailgating "firt timers" but I'll let others on the board give you their thoughts on the matter.

I say welcome aboard...pleased to have you! GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

I'm a first year UNT guy and it's gotten better every game. You do, of course, enjoy beer and BBQ, right?

Nothing better than beer and BBQ....I hear BBQ beef is bigger out there wheras pork is our specialty here in Georgia. I'll have to learn some new tricks.

It sounds like you guys definitly have it figured out. I'm looking forward to opening kickoff for next year.

Has the '09 schedule leaked at all? I found the date for the Army game but couldn't find anything else. Thanks for the replies and Go Eagles (that will be easy to say since my high school and college mascots have both been Eagles!).

Nothing better than beer and BBQ....I hear BBQ beef is bigger out there wheras pork is our specialty here in Georgia. I'll have to learn some new tricks.

It sounds like you guys definitly have it figured out. I'm looking forward to opening kickoff for next year.

Has the '09 schedule leaked at all? I found the date for the Army game but couldn't find anything else. Thanks for the replies and Go Eagles (that will be easy to say since my high school and college mascots have both been Eagles!).

We certainly appreciate your enthusiasm, and welcome to the board. But our official nickname is Mean Green, so Go Mean Green! :)

Welcome GSU. As you demonstrate, there are a lot of "eagles" around the country. But there's only one Mean Green.

So welcome and remember you don't have to wait until next year. We play one more home game the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Go Stadium

GO MEAN GREEN

Thanks and I would love to but I won't be pulling out of town here until mid-January. I guess I'll have to settle for a basketball game until next fall.

My fault...I guess that was too much of a reach. Mean Green sounds better anyway. What's the story with the eagle mascot?

The eagle is the official mascot, but Mean Green is our official nickname. Kind of like how Nebraska is Big Red, or for a better comparison, how Alabama is the Crimson Tide but they have an elephant for a mascot.

However, in our case, we have historical reasons for both: Mascot origins

I remember when Georgia Southern was giving the big boys fits. In fact, it seems like U of Georgia was always afraid to schedule you guys, because the risk of losing to an in-state 1AA team was too great.

Hope to see you next year in Denton.

Good memory! It's been 8 years since our last I-AA (FCS) championship but we had 6 of them from '85-2000. We used to run the triple option when Paul Johnson (current Georgia Tech, former Navy coach) was at the helm and we did have problems getting I-A programs to play us at that time...teams didn't want to spend a week preparing for an offense unlike any they would see the rest of the year. We have gotten Georgia to play us a couple times this decade and opened the season with them in Athens this year...only 'Bama and LSU have put up more points than the 21 we hung on them...too bad they managed 45!

Thanks for the welcome and I'll definitly see you in Denton next year.

I'll start off by saying I'm impressed with your messageboard and your fan enthusiasm in a down year! It looks like the program is fairly forward thinking with the new developments with your stadium, etc.

I'll be relocating to the North Dallas/McKinney area in January and I'm a diehard football fan. I've been an extremely loyal Georgia Southern fan since my years at the school earlier in the decade when we won 2 I-AA championships. Moving to a new area I'm looking to "adopt" a program to root for and support and after hanging around your board for a few weeks I'm thinking I might have found a winner (SMU appears to be in last place).

What can you guys tell me about the gameday experience, etc...you know, anything a newcomer would want to know. At my school we generally have about 18,000 fans for a game and a good 6-8 hours of tailgating beforehand. It's more of a party atmosphere and makes for a great way to spend a fall Saturday. I saw that tailgating just started about 7 years ago in Denton. Has it really taken off?

Thanks for any info you can give me...I look forward to catching a few games soon!

Welcome to the Mean Green Nation, gsufanatic. One thing we really need help with here is special teams. Do you thing that Keith Hatcher at GSU would be a good ST hire for us?

Welcome to the Mean Green Nation, gsufanatic. One thing we really need help with here is special teams. Do you thing that Keith Hatcher at GSU would be a good ST hire for us?

Thanks again for the welcome from everyone...seems like a great group.

I think Keith would be an excellent hire to help out with special teams. However, he is the cousin of head coach Chris Hatcher and I think he's going to stick around to see the program's turnaround which will hopefully be complete next season. We're hoping our head coach sticks around a while but he already had an interview with Georgia Tech last year and his name has been mentioned for the South Carolina job if Spurrier bolts. Maybe Keith would be available if that happened but I think Chris will stick around for a while. From what I've heard Keith is an excellent recruiter as well.

Is the entire Mean Green coaching staff fairly green or are there some that have been around for a while?

That's because we don't have Mark Man-gina.

DeLoach is pretty experienced at the college level.

Also note that we are one of the only boards with a NCAA and NFL Hall of Famer who posts regularly (see above).