Navy Downs Unt Rival Smu

chrisfisher

Jones will get that program turned around. He is already showing improvement this season being his FIRST one. Oh and SMU would rape NT into submission.

SMU was just punked like that and they're going to rape us? Now if you want to talk about what NAVY would do to us THIS year! Come to think of it; one of our only two wins last year was in a game that we HAD to run because of similar conditions vs. Western Kenucky; of course we had Jamario Thomas then.

Edited by eulessismore

$2 million he doesn't. The last coach to get $mut turned around involved a checkbook and a death penalty.

Are you kidding me? Dude get off the good ol days syndrome. Atleast SMU has money to pay a decent coach and doesn't have to resort to some HS coach who obviously cannot coach. It's one thing to dislike SMU but its another thing to talk nonsense.

Are you kidding me? Dude get off the good ol days syndrome. Atleast SMU has money to pay a decent coach and doesn't have to resort to some HS coach who obviously cannot coach. It's one thing to dislike SMU but its another thing to talk nonsense.

Money doesn't buy wins. Well, maybe at some places it does.

Edited by NT80

I may be wrong, but we were also considering Jim Harbaugh, a former NFL player. Tap the brakes on saying that we could only get a high school coach. I am as unhappy as the rest of you about this season, maybe even moreso that some of you, but we have to have a little patience.

No not really. We may be recruiting rivals but that is as far as it goes.

I could really care less if SMU is a technically defined a "rival" or not. Interesting though that the word rival ended up in your own description of an area that SMU is in competition with us.... hmmmm..... But, really, you completely missed the point of the thread.

Edited by chrisfisher

Navy beats smwho with no passes. Why do I feel like Dickey and Flano are smiling somewhere and highfiving.

And I don't care what anyone says, I'm a unt alumni and smu is my rival. Who's coming with me?

Money doesn't buy wins. Well, maybe at some places it does.

No it does not buy wins but it gives a program credibility when they go out and hire a credibile coach. I guarantee you if the roles were reversed people on this board would be nothing but laughing at SMU and how they hired a spare coach from high school and we hired June Jones and finally came up with the balls and money to give him good compensation. SMU will get this thing turned around alot faster than people think. As of now they are already ahead of us and they will only continue to get better.

Just one question for you Green Mean. If SMU isn't our "rival" then why did we take more people to their stadium last season than any other opponent...and why did more of their fans show up for that game than for any other opponent? You can talk all you want, butts in seats don't lie.

No I truly dont consider smu a true rival. We may be going after certain players in recruting wise but that is just about it. I know people here are absolutely itching to call SMU a rival but they just aren't. Ok so we had a lot of people go to the game last year at Ford Field...just because it is geographically close still does not make it a true rival. SMU does not consider us their rival and probably never will only until and if we are in the same conference. Until then we need to give it up on this being a rivalry in my opinion.

No I truly dont consider smu a true rival. We may be going after certain players in recruting wise but that is just about it. I know people here are absolutely itching to call SMU a rival but they just aren't. Ok so we had a lot of people go to the game last year at Ford Field...just because it is geographically close still does not make it a true rival. SMU does not consider us their rival and probably never will only until and if we are in the same conference. Until then we need to give it up on this being a rivalry in my opinion.

If a school that is geographically close, competes for our recruits, has great fan turn out for the games when the two teams play, have heated public fan exchanges, and recently signed a future home and home games does not equal a rival than what does? Oh well, this isn't what I hoped to talk about in this thread, but what the heck.

I dissagree

If a school that is geographically close, competes for our recruits, has great fan turn out for the games when the two teams play, have heated public fan exchanges, and recently signed a future home and home games does not equal a rival than what does? Oh well, this isn't what I hoped to talk about in this thread, but what the heck.

In my opinion as of right now it is not a rival. If NT consistently plays SMU in the future even after the signed series beginning in 2014 then I will call it more of a rival. If you talk to SMU people or go to their boards, they hardly every talk or care about NT. It is only people on this board that have this personal vendetta against SMU claiming that SMU is the sole reason of why we have been shafted in athletics which to me is complete BS. People here need to give it up on SMU.

No it does not buy wins but it gives a program credibility when they go out and hire a credibile coach. I guarantee you if the roles were reversed people on this board would be nothing but laughing at SMU and how they hired a spare coach from high school and we hired June Jones and finally came up with the balls and money to give him good compensation. SMU will get this thing turned around alot faster than people think. As of now they are already ahead of us and they will only continue to get better.

You are right, I do wish UNT could afford $2 million per year on a coach. But it still does not guarantee wins, only that the coach won somewhere previously. Jones may get Smut turned around in time, but at 1-8 I bet many on the hilltop are questioning their $2 million investment right now as much or more than we are on our $300K investment.

Edited by NT80

You are right, I do wish UNT could afford $2 million per year on a coach. But is still does not guarantee wins, only that the coach won somewhere previously. Jones may get Smut turned around in time, but at 1-8 I bet many on the hilltop are questioning their $2 million investment right now as much or more than we are on our $300K investment.

SMU couldn't afford $2 million a year either, they had to ask their "Champions Circle" donors to pledge the money for Jones' contract.

And if SMU isn't a rival, I don't know who is. In fact, can anyone name a team other than NM State, who we haven't played in forever, as a rival for North Texas? You don't have to be in the same conference to be a rival. Look at Florida-Florida State.

When I asked Dodge in the first Dog Pound meeting (back when there was still hope) what C-USA team he'd love to beat in the New Orleans Bowl, he said it was SMU.

SMU couldn't afford $2 million a year either, they had to ask their "Champions Circle" donors to pledge the money for Jones' contract.

And if SMU isn't a rival, I don't know who is. In fact, can anyone name a team other than NM State, who we haven't played in forever, as a rival for North Texas? You don't have to be in the same conference to be a rival. Look at Florida-Florida State.

When I asked Dodge in the first Dog Pound meeting (back when there was still hope) what C-USA team he'd love to beat in the New Orleans Bowl, he said it was SMU.

The only bowl we will see smu in is the toiletbowl.