Thanksgiving In October....

FirefightnRick

The students at our university pulled off the impossible in my oppinion. In one week they managed to erase 40 plus years of apathy. Our own Harry Miers said it best in describing his feelings about this:

"I have to put this successful vote at the very top of the list, ahead of the 2002 New Orleans Bowl win and the building of our awesome athletic center. It is by far, the most significant accomplishment that this athletic program has seen in its history. What makes this even more significant is it was actually the UNT students that made it happen. "

So the time is now, this weekend, this saturday evening to tell the kids who made this happen thank you. What I am proposing is a procession of alumni towards the end of the 1st quarter to get up out of our seats and walk over to the students and walk up and down each aisle and let these people know that they have become the greatest generation of students to ever walk "Down the Corridor of Years". I know not everyone can and not everyone will yet many of you I have spoken to over the phone have agreed to this. And there won't be a better opportunity than at this time. I'm willing to bet that a majority of the 2800 students who voted "FOR" the referendum will no doubt be in the stands at this time. I have asked AD officials for permission to allow us to walk down onto the track and go directly over but I have not heard back yet. If this isn't granted then I will simply go around. Either way, with some kind of sign in hand, I will be giving THANKS to those that may very well have changed the face of North Texas for the better like never before in our 118 year history.

I just wanted to get this out there and I am open to suggestions.

I have to give these kids something back for what they have done for our university, and right now all I have is my heart and this is the very best way I can think of to do just that.

Rick

I have to give these kids something back for what they have done for our university, and right now all I have is my heart and this is the very best way I can think of to do just that.

Rick

If you were to go to the non-sports board, you would realize that delicious rivers of chocolate fudge would be more appropriate.

Edited by JesseMartin

I like your idea, but I can see it being problematic. There could be a congestion problem if you had a lot of people walking through the aisles during the game. On the other hand, it might not have much impact if you have only a handful of people participate.

What about a coordinated effort involving the PA? Just before the end of the quarter, have some alumni walk over to be in position in front of the student section. During the break between the first and second quarters, perhaps Rick V or Dr. Bataille could make an announcement about the stadium vote, how important it is, and how much the alumni appreciate what the students have done. Then the entire alumni side of the field could give a long, loud standing ovation to the students, lead by the alumni who have walked to the student side. Get everyone involved at the same time to make a more dramatic gesture. Then it wouldn't look like just a handful delivering the thank you, rather you would be the representatives of the whole alumni side backed up by a standing ovation.

In case that might be a little too disruptive we might do the old "card section" bit by spelling out THANKS STUDENTS.

Wanna be on ESPN and possibly the national news? If you ever wanted UNT to get a little free publicity, start doing the card sections of yesteryear. As each side is yelling "North" and "Texas", have the card section spell it out each time. Just a thought.

I like your idea, but I can see it being problematic. There could be a congestion problem if you had a lot of people walking through the aisles during the game. On the other hand, it might not have much impact if you have only a handful of people participate.

What about a coordinated effort involving the PA? Just before the end of the quarter, have some alumni walk over to be in position in front of the student section. During the break between the first and second quarters, perhaps Rick V or Dr. Bataille could make an announcement about the stadium vote, how important it is, and how much the alumni appreciate what the students have done. Then the entire alumni side of the field could give a long, loud standing ovation to the students, lead by the alumni who have walked to the student side. Get everyone involved at the same time to make a more dramatic gesture. Then it wouldn't look like just a handful delivering the thank you, rather you would be the representatives of the whole alumni side backed up by a standing ovation.

I have sent emails to those in charge and have not recieved any response back. I like the idea of the P.A. recognizing it and everyone in the the stands on the alumni side giving a standing ovation, and me and several of y'all be in position in front of the students railing with signs in hand ready to thank them. Excellent idea. However, like I said, I have recieved nothing in response to the idea. And if I don't, I'll simply walk around and walk their sections thanking everone of them that I can with sign in hand. My sign will read.."Thank You Students From the Bottom of our Hearts". I'll also have a sign asking "ALUMNI, Please Join Us in Thanking the students", and will walk our side to ask everyone to follow me around 3 minutes to go in the 1st quarter. If you want to come with us that is fine. If you don't, that is fine also. Our university may never have such a game changing performance by the student body ever again that will impact it to the degree that this could. Saturday, between the 1st and 2nd quarters will be the best opportune time to let them hear from you. If anyone has any idea in how to get ahold of the AD dept to try and get a response from them then by all means give it a try and let us know here what you find out.

Rick

GREAT ideas all. I will be alert and join in supporting whatever form this expression of appreciation takes. Our students deserve a lot of credit for doing the right thing!

Just recieved a phone call from the AD dept and they are going to try and accomodate us in some way. Maybe make an announcement while the few here who want to go over with me and recognize the students and thank them or something. I am to hook up with them tonight at Bonfire and discuss it further.

Stay tuned.

Rick

Just recieved a phone call from the AD dept and they are going to try and accomodate us in some way. Maybe make an announcement while the few here who want to go over with me and recognize the students and thank them or something. I am to hook up with them tonight at Bonfire and discuss it further.

Stay tuned.

Rick

Rick, find me at the bonfire and let's talk.

Be careful Rick, they may want to throw you in the Bonfire...... :blink:

The students at our university pulled off the impossible in my oppinion. In one week they managed to erase 40 plus years of apathy. Our own Harry Miers said it best in describing his feelings about this:

"I have to put this successful vote at the very top of the list, ahead of the 2002 New Orleans Bowl win and the building of our awesome athletic center. It is by far, the most significant accomplishment that this athletic program has seen in its history. What makes this even more significant is it was actually the UNT students that made it happen. "

So the time is now, this weekend, this saturday evening to tell the kids who made this happen thank you. What I am proposing is a procession of alumni towards the end of the 1st quarter to get up out of our seats and walk over to the students and walk up and down each aisle and let these people know that they have become the greatest generation of students to ever walk "Down the Corridor of Years". I know not everyone can and not everyone will yet many of you I have spoken to over the phone have agreed to this. And there won't be a better opportunity than at this time. I'm willing to bet that a majority of the 2800 students who voted "FOR" the referendum will no doubt be in the stands at this time. I have asked AD officials for permission to allow us to walk down onto the track and go directly over but I have not heard back yet. If this isn't granted then I will simply go around. Either way, with some kind of sign in hand, I will be giving THANKS to those that may very well have changed the face of North Texas for the better like never before in our 118 year history.

I just wanted to get this out there and I am open to suggestions.

Rick

For some reason "Down the Corridor of Years" really stuck out to me. I'm a recent grad so i dont have any kind of monetary pull to put into it yet. But I think some kind of Official "Corridor of Years" would be GREAT to apply to the stadium/athletic complex as an actual walkway. Its just has a good pride giving ring to it. call me crazy, but i like it.