Practice Blog....

CMJ

Who's Cameron Spencer? He's listed on the roster. I don't remember hearing much about him, but it says he's 6'8" and 274lbs......looks to be the thickest guy on the team. Anyone know anything?

Odufuwa needs to be solid this year.

SMU transfer... he has to sit out a season... I am very glad to have him at practices though for this next year while he sits so that our current smaller big men can have experience going up against players with formidable weight...

I'm pretty sure I saw Cameron Spencer at the UNT/Troy football game. As I walked to the concession stand, I saw a tall, imposing figure, obviously a basketball player, dressed in Mean Green athletic clothes. I didn't recognize the face so I knew it had to be a new recruit. I thought maybe it was Cameron, and I checked the roster pics when I got home, and I am pretty sure that it was Cameron. At 274LB, I expected to see a slightly overweight player... however, best I could tell, Cameron was in fantastic shape... definitely not what I expected.... And he will definitely be a physical presence under the basket next season.

Edited by chrisfisher

The blog answered my question about size concerns of this years team. JJ's answer surprised me...he said we are actually a bigger team overall this season than last year. The blog writer then went to quote average heights for the past 2 seasons and turns out this is a taller team, even taller the team that went to the Tourny. I'm not sure I see it if you look at who we lost and who we signed... but you can't argue with math. I know the Fort Knox signing helped with the numbers... now we have two 6'10" players. Knox's height won't matter though unless he plays, though the blog has suggested that he is competing for minutes now. JJ also went on to say that we have an extremely athletic bunch.... this is going to be a fun season....

Edited by chrisfisher

The thing I noticed about Knox is while he has some major upper body work to do, his legs and lower body are pretty well built. It will be interesting to see how he develops physically as opposed to how Howerton did over the next couple of years.

The blog answered my question about size concerns of this years team. JJ's answer surprised me...he said we are actually a bigger team overall this season than last year. The blog writer then went to quote average heights for the past 2 seasons and turns out this is a taller team, even taller the team that went to the Tourny. I'm not sure I see it if you look at who we lost and who we signed... but you can't argue with math. I know the Fort Knox signing helped with the numbers... now we have two 6'10" players. Knox's height won't matter though unless he plays, though the blog has suggested that he is competing for minutes now. JJ also went on to say that we have an extremely athletic bunch.... this is going to be a fun season....

Which shows you can prove anything with numbers. When you look at who will actually be playing (see CBLs writeup) and with the prospect of sometimes having two 5-9 guards on the floor, this will be a very small team.

They didn't really answer my question on team leaders, but perhaps it's too early to see anything developing. Coach Jones seemed to think I was inquiring if he had designated a captain or somesuch...I was merely asking if there was a guy the other ones were looking to.

Oh well.

Edited by CMJ