Let's Have Some Fun As We Relax

drex

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if some corporation does not buy naming rights, i would like to see joe greene and abner haynes honored. if joe was the best, abner was the bravest. you might want to see the movie "the express" to get an ibea of what haynes went through. i was a freshman in 61' . while north texas classrooms were intergrated, the dorms were not, and the city of dentor was segregated. that ment restaurants,theaters, etc.

Many stadiums that were built after World War I and World War II were named Memorial stadium in honor of those veterans who fought and died for our country. I realize we need the money from a donor and therefore the name of that person or corporation will most likely be the name of our stadium, but how great would it be to have the first modern day Memorial Stadium in honor of today's heroes that fight for our country.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I think that we'll very likely have a corporate sponsor. I concluded that by eliminating the other choices.

We have a few wealthy alumni who could easily part with $20 million but they have given little or none in the past and I don't see them starting now. The only stadium named for a great player that I can think of is Kinnick Stadium at the University of Iowa. That would make Joe Greene and/or Abner Haynes looking at long odds. Many are named for former coaches but I'm not aware of monied support in our case. If it were my vote it would go to Odus Mitchell as well. The truly wealthy on Flyer's list all have ties to AQ teams (mostly UT) or SMU. Two already have stadiums named for them. The only one that does not have a tie to a major university is Alice Walton, who is a graduate of Trinity University in San Antonio but I'm not aware that she has ever given anything to athletics.

Corporate sponsors would have a great interest because of the high volume of traffic that would pass the stadium daily as well as the numerous times that their name would appear in print. It should be a fairly good advertising decision and could be an even greater plus if we became successful.

I think that we'll very likely have a corporate sponsor. I concluded that by eliminating the other choices.

We have a few wealthy alumni who could easily part with $20 million but they have given little or none in the past and I don't see them starting now. The only stadium named for a great player that I can think of is Kinnick Stadium at the University of Iowa. That would make Joe Greene and/or Abner Haynes looking at long odds. Many are named for former coaches but I'm not aware of monied support in our case. If it were my vote it would go to Odus Mitchell as well. The truly wealthy on Flyer's list all have ties to AQ teams (mostly UT) or SMU. Two already have stadiums named for them. The only one that does not have a tie to a major university is Alice Walton, who is a graduate of Trinity University in San Antonio but I'm not aware that she has ever given anything to athletics.

Corporate sponsors would have a great interest because of the high volume of traffic that would pass the stadium daily as well as the numerous times that their name would appear in print. It should be a fairly good advertising decision and could be an even greater plus if we became successful.

I tend to believe that corporate sponsors will get the naming rights.

I used to like the idea of Odus Mitchell, but when you indicated that he kind of sided with Dr. Matthews on not having a mean green club-like fund raising arm of the athletic department, that kind of cooled me on him some. However, he certainly ran an honarable and (overall) successful program.......on a very limited budget.