A Thank You To The Students

Smitty

Thank you to the students who voted in this election - pro and con. You cared enough to participate and vote, and that is what this nation needs.

And a huge thank you for making the dream of a new stadium at the University of North Texas more possible than it has ever been before.

For those of us who have been attending events at Fouts Field for twenty, thirty, and forty years (or more), for those of us with "North Texas State University" chiseled on our diplomas, you cannot imagine the importance of this vote.

There are a lot of things to be proud of at North Texas, a lot more good than bad. But the sore spot that is Fouts Field (and, by inevitable and unfair association, the football program) has long been a source of embarrassment. After a few decades, you just don't expect things will ever change. Sometimes we tell stories about the old days and we wear Fouts on our sleeve as if long suffering is some kind of badge of honor. Perhaps it is. Perhaps remaining so long through the bad times is a badge of honor, but I promise you that none of us - deep down - want to wear it forever. Every one of us have dreamed about calling a nice stadium home, and I look forward to ripping that worn-out medal from my chest when I walk into the new stadium.

We are a step closer to that that day, and we alumni have you students to thank for taking the first step. You have made Mean Green history, and I promise you that this alumnus, for one, will step up and contribute to the stadium fund. I know others will as well. We will follow the trail that you have blazed.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

You're welcome :). Thanks to the alumni who did their part to get the word out about the stadium vote. Also, thanks for not giving up on us students. I can't wait to step foot in the new stadium in 2011 and I hope for guys who have been following the team for 20+ years it's the sweetest feeling they have ever had at a NT football game.

Thanks SO MUCH to you guys and gals that supported this thing on campus. I've been around this program since the 70's, and this is truly a special moment. I have no doubt that it will pay off for EVERYONE down the road. We can finally begin the process of attaining the level of overall excellence that this school deserves. Some just do not understand the importance of athletics in the perception of a university. Thanks again!!

Thanks SO MUCH to you guys and gals that supported this thing on campus. I've been around this program since the 70's, and this is truly a special moment. I have no doubt that it will pay off for EVERYONE down the road. We can finally begin the process of attaining the level of overall excellence that this school deserves. Some just do not understand the importance of athletics in the perception of a university. Thanks again!!

I too have been around NT football since the mid 70's (mba 79) and know this can be great for the future MG students if the will get involved in the University experience...participate, attend events..parades, bonfires, games, events...fall in love with your university as I have....it will serve you well and give you many brothers (and sisters) in green. Be proud of your university and show it in everything you do....like you have this week with your vote for the stadium/fee....you have made a wise investment in your future because you will always be a part of UNT and UNT will always be a part of you.

Yes, thank you to those students who voted for the referendum. You have renewed my confidence in your ability to foresee a bright future for UNT through the window that is college athletics. I hope this a major step in the right direction in gaining national recognition for our fine university.