Prepare For The Worst....

UNT_playmaker

Be very very ready because I have a feeling that this might not pass.....and it is for a reason.....reason being I talked with alot of Greeks today and the majority did not vote at all.....when they were supposed to.

Also: No SGA, UNT, or Athletic official has shown any optimism whatsoever this week in reference to athletic fee passing.... Usually you will hear false hope from our officials such as "Rv has faith in TD".

Remember we are 0-6, the people on this board are hardcore fans, the rest of the university is not....I tried my best and so did alot of others but prepare yourself cause there are alot of factors that might cause this vote to go sour.

2 straight home blowouts to no-name teams at Fouts in front of the home crowd is icing for the cake for the opposition.

No but I did instruct my fraternity to send a mass text message to over 60 people at 3p.m.

Alot of Frats did not vote at all as of Friday afternoon, whats worst is that the sororities did not turn out at all compared to the frats....Its a bad bad sign.....When I talked with RV he said we wont win without Greek support....

Also I came to find out that alot of the greeks had no clue where to vote or how to....

This was addressed in the mass text message to our frat only, Delta Sigma Phi, and included the website.

Major failures in getting people out to vote and promoting this thing. Also where tha F*&% was the model and why wasnt it on campus... that thing was awesome...

No but I did instruct my fraternity to send a mass text message to over 60 people at 3p.m.

Alot of Frats did not vote at all as of Friday afternoon, whats worst is that the sororities did not turn out at all compared to the frats....Its a bad bad sign.....When I talked with RV he said we wont win without Greek support....

It's true this school maybe anti-greek but since everyone else on this campus is so apathetic if the greeks come out in force to support something it gets done. But if this is true and most of them didn't vote then this thing has no chance.

That is f--king ridiculous. I learned a huge portion of important leadership lessons from the Greek leadership that the rest of campus dislikes so much. It's true that motivated Greeks tend to get things done. My question is, where the hell is the Greek leadership if none of them even know what's going on? It used to be that almost every soror was guaranteed to vote, and if you kept on them, quite a few of the guys would as well.

Before I left, the Greeks had been well on their way to establishing a better rapport with the student body and being the leaders they were decades ago - scholars, too. It irks me to know that the huge amount of progress made appears to be waning already. With a more spirited student body, decentralization of leadership isn't a problem. With a large group so disinterested in anything outside their own area of expertise and involvement, a good, strong core of leaders - be they Greeks, Honor Society regulars, Talons, athletes, whatever - is entirely necessary.

This election may really have helped us see some bigger problems. If it's as bad as online accounts make the situation seem, I challenge current student leaders on here to work to find a better, more unifying solution.

I know the felling. I was an active greek for 5 years and I'll admit the talons were more dedicated and hard core but the greeks were the biggest group of athletics supporters on campus if they didn't vote we're screwed.

Oh I know. I remember going to a volleyball match in like 1996 and there were about 30 people there. Of that about 15 were family members, like four Talons and the rest were Greeks. From that time thru the end of my college days I always respected the potential that the Greeks provided for school spirit - even if I bitched about them alot(for a variety of reasons).

If the vote ends up screwed, I'm still in for pinky removal.

How about this...once we get enough funding to get things rolling (i.e. bids from anyone, anywhere in the world, enough to guarantee the stadium construction gets started), I'll do it anywhere...national TV, NTTV, or Emmitt's garage.

If the vote passes, we can take bids to cover the remaining balance. Once the total stadium goal is reached...same deal.

I won't just do it for the hell of it if non-pinky-related donations slowly trickle in, though. I only have 2 pinkies...need to keep 'em in reserve if an auction is ever needed ;)

I've got a very bad feeling too. I am in a UNT doctoral psychology program, and, no one, and I mean no one, accept me is into UNT athletics. I decided it was better to avoid trying to get people to vote because it might actually raise awareness of the issue and result in more "no" votes....besides, doctoral students are usually clueless to the outside world.... Well, Friday morning I was in the psychology clinic and and found out a female student was trying to talk anyone who would listen into voting "no," which many did. I was so pissed. She was passionate and I figured that she did her research on why she voted no. I quickly learned after I challenged her on a few facts that she didn't know anything at all about the issue. She simply didn't want to pay more tuition. When I told her she would be long gone when the fee kicked in, she had this bamboozled look on her face. I actually strong armed several of my friends in psychology to vote later in day. In hindsight, maybe it was a mistake not to raise awareness in our apathetic department. On the other hand, my campaigning could have only increased the "no" vote too.

One final thought: given that our team has won 2 games in 2 years, it is apparent that UNT leaders were basically asking students to buy into a vision or idea for future of UNT. In reality, our current football record should be irrelevant if people understand what is at stake. Nonetheless, school leaders may have done a very poor job of painting a dynamic picture of the future for students. I believe that the stadium referendum required transformational leadership. Unfortunately, I suspect that most in the administration are transactional leaders.

Sorry this is rambling. I needed to say my peace with this.... I am not looking forward to today's voting results.

I actually strong armed several of my friends in psychology to vote later in day. In hindsight, maybe it was a mistake not to raise awareness in our apathetic department. On the other hand, my campaigning could have only increased the "no" vote too.

I don't buy the argument that getting the word out to vote yes just causes more people to vote no. You can't win elections by being afraid to give people a positive reason to vote for your side. Students, like anybody else, have to be sold on why it's a good idea to spend their money on something -- they're being asked to spend $30 million. The idea we could sneak one past them, by only reaching the pro-stadium, pro-sports students in a quiet campaign, was far-fetched. If it passes, it will because of the efforts of Students for a New Stadium to get in front of people and make the case for the new fee.

Be very very ready because I have a feeling that this might not pass.....and it is for a reason.....reason being I talked with alot of Greeks today and the majority did not vote at all.....when they were supposed to.

Also: No SGA, UNT, or Athletic official has shown any optimism whatsoever this week in reference to athletic fee passing.... Usually you will hear false hope from our officials such as "Rv has faith in TD".

Remember we are 0-6, the people on this board are hardcore fans, the rest of the university is not....I tried my best and so did alot of others but prepare yourself cause there are alot of factors that might cause this vote to go sour.

2 straight home blowouts to no-name teams at Fouts in front of the home crowd is icing for the cake for the opposition.

My question would be, how many Greeks did you talk to?

My comment would be, "I hope you predict the outcome of elections like you predict hurricanes!"

I wonder if the sample size selected was based on the high quality / low error margin standards of WBAP and the NT Daily. <_<

So at 12:02am you predict this a winning vote and 10 minutes later your spouting doom and gloom? Come on, get off the fence because your posts are losing credibility by the minute.

If what Playmaker said is true then I feel it is NT that has dropped the ball once again. The whole athletics/stadium issue should have been out in the open a long long long time ago to educate people. For the longest time everything was pretty much hush hush and just a month or so ago that is when RV decided to have tours of Fouts and show people what kind of problems are there. As for the administration why can't they take a side? Why cant they support it and emphasize how important this is to our university? It can still be decided by the vote but if the administration and the bigger figures are going to be non existent then what the hell do you expect? As for the Greeks, based on what I had heard for a long time I thought it was a sure thing that they would all vote yes but if majority of them did not vote then I am pretty dissapointed. Remember people we have 34K+ students and most of them are NOT greeks. And I believe many of the non students have more pride and interest in a university than many people think. I dont know...I guess we will know soon enough but if this thing fails I certainly will not be surprised one bit.

On the plus side....

The issue is now out there before the students. But we had, what...? Four weeks to campaign? So many students didn't even know about the vote, the stadium, the proposed fee, etc.

If the vote fails, we have 5 months to go until the spring election. We can campaign, educate the students, and still get a vote passed and down to Austin before the legislature adjourns, and stay on schedule.

Like Al Gore's manager said on election night 2000, "THIS CAMPAIGN WILL GO ON!"

On the plus side....

The issue is now out there before the students. But we had, what...? Four weeks to campaign? So many students didn't even know about the vote, the stadium, the proposed fee, etc.

If the vote fails, we have 5 months to go until the spring election. We can campaign, educate the students, and still get a vote passed and down to Austin before the legislature adjourns, and stay on schedule.

We all know what happened that night..

Lets just hope all those students on the facebook page actually voted.

Edited by filmerj

On the plus side....

I have a lot of comments regarding how this was handled, by the administration, not SGA, if this should fail. I'll share them anyway when the results are announced.

it shouldnt have been too hard to figure out where to vote as long as you put effort in to wanting to vote. my brother is a senior and is only on campus 2 days a week and he knew where to vote and voted YES, so if the greeks didnt vote its bc they didnt put forth enough effort to vote. thats my take