Unt Asks Students To Have Faith In Future

Brett Vito

Brett,

The current state of the football program should have absolutely have nothing to do with the stadium issue. If this issue cannot stand on its own, then we have biggger problems than this team. Without a new venue, UNT will never take a step forward. The Dodge name will no longer get the players he has gotten the last two seasons.

Dodge's name got Dunbar, Vizza, Troy Frankilin, Riley, Williams, Lott, Phillips, and the list goes on. But that will end without a stadium.

He will never get the 4A and 5A players of the year again on his name only. WE MUST GET A NEW VENUE.

The stadium is an investment in UNT and its future. If this gets turned down, we are just a bigger Texas State or UTSA. This must pass, its now or never. Students lets get our asses out and invest in the future.

Brett,

The current state of the football program should have absolutely have nothing to do with the stadium issue. If this issue cannot stand on its own, then we have biggger problems than this team. Without a new venue, UNT will never take a step forward. The Dodge name will no longer get the players he has gotten the last two seasons.

Dodge's name got Dunbar, Vizza, Troy Frankilin, Riley, Williams, Lott, Phillips, and the list goes on. But that will end without a stadium.

He will never get the 4A and 5A players of the year again on his name only. WE MUST GET A NEW VENUE.

The stadium is an investment in UNT and its future. If this gets turned down, we are just a bigger Texas State or UTSA. This must pass, its now or never. Students lets get our asses out and invest in the future.

The state of the football team has everything to do with the stadium issue.

When UNT quit winning Sun Belt titles was at the point when UNT had gone through years of recruiting head-to-head with Sun Belt schools. I didn't get a chance to visit your athletic village but I can state with total certainty that what ASU, ULL, MTSU, and Troy have to offer in the way of stadiums is better than what UNT has to offer. I think the argument is made that ULM offers a better stadium as well. Based on the photos, I'd say FIU offers better as well. FAU is still in the plan stages but they are the only institution in UNT's league when it comes to stadiums.

UNT is lacking the tools to be successful. Good crowd Saturday night, outstanding crowd for a team that stood at 0-5. Right now there is still belief that UNT cares.

For several years opposing recruiters could say look at the stadium and tell me UNT is serious about I-A. You might get away with a Fouts type facility in the MAC, but you will not in the Sun Belt. If the vote fails opposing recruiters will have their copies of those slick fliers and make sure recruits know the UNT community rejected THAT.

If UNT could be tops in the conference with Fouts, the stadium wouldn't be an issue. That ship sailed. Some of the blame likely goes on the prior staff but UNT is no longer recruiting in a conference where the MT win over Vandy is easily regarded the biggest win in the league. This year MT over 4-2 Maryland is better than ASU over TAMU. Last year we saw three such games to pick from.

You can't just show up and win the Sun Belt and the results are on the field. MT has our biggest win and they are already eliminated from the race.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Yes, we realize that we have perhaps the worst stadium in Division 1-A. But UNT2012 said that the current state of the football program should have absolutely no bearing on the stadium issue, and he is right. The stadium is needed whether we are 0-12 or 12-0.

The rest of your post about the conference improving and other schools using our stadium to recruit against us is very true and it is another reason for a new stadium. It should also be pointed out that the rest of our football-playing conference members all have fees larger than ours except for the two Louisianas (and that is in the process of changing).

Forget a more regional conference or a conference that would have bigger payouts; we can't even keep up with our own conference mates in facilities.

Yes, we realize that we have perhaps the worst stadium in Division 1-A. But UNT2012 said that the current state of the football program should have absolutely no bearing on the stadium issue, and he is right. The stadium is needed whether we are 0-12 or 12-0.

We do need a new stadium regardless of the teams record, but to our friend from Arkansas' point, the current state of the program emphasises the need even further. We need everything we can get our hands on that will attract the best recruits possible to add further depth and support to what Dodge is building at UNT. I don't agree with Vito's spin on "faith". We don't need to have faith in the future of the team in order to justify a new stadium. We have faith that a new stadium will help justify for some hot shot to pick North Texas over other institutions he may have knocking on his door.

The state of the football team has everything to do with the stadium issue. UNT is lacking the tools to be successful. Good crowd Saturday night, outstanding crowd for a team that stood at 0-5. Right now there is still belief that UNT cares. For several years opposing recruiters could say look at the stadium and tell me UNT is serious about I-A. You might get away with a Fouts type facility in the MAC, but you will not in the Sun Belt.

NT -29, Texas Tech - 24

NT - 33, Rice - 17

NT - 24, Texas - 27

NT - 49, Ark St - 21

Year= 1988, Division = 1-AA, Fouts = 20K capacity

A stadium does not make a program. It does help attract players, coaches, fans, and opponents to the program, but it is possible to have a good team irregardless of the facility they play in.

The rest of your post about the conference improving and other schools using our stadium to recruit against us is very true and it is another reason for a new stadium. It should also be pointed out that the rest of our football-playing conference members all have fees larger than ours except for the two Louisianas (and that is in the process of changing).

Forget a more regional conference or a conference that would have bigger payouts; we can't even keep up with our own conference mates in facilities.

No the current state of the program makes the point that the stadium is an urgent need. A few years ago one could have said, "Let's build it when it matters, we are winning as it is." That excuse is gone.

NT -29, Texas Tech - 24

NT - 33, Rice - 17

NT - 24, Texas - 27

NT - 49, Ark St - 21

Year= 1988, Division = 1-AA, Fouts = 20K capacity

A stadium does not make a program. It does help attract players, coaches, fans, and opponents to the program, but it is possible to have a good team irregardless of the facility they play in.

A good season or a few is always possible with a dump. Michael Jordan could have played some great games with a five pound weight strapped to each leg but not night in and out like he did.

As to 1988. Lets remember that was before the full impact of the NCAA TV contract being busted up had been felt. No I-A conference had played or thought of a championship game. Note also that two of the schools UNT played so well against were on probation or just coming off it. One year after that Arkansas pulled out of the SWC because that league had become so screwed up and out of touch. Also recall that Arkansas State was an independent that year, we had pulled out of the Southland due to dis-satisfaction over the collapse of SLC basketball. We had nothing to play for that year. Also if you will remember you finished that season with a loss to a school making its second I-AA playoff appearance. Three years later Marshall invested $30 million in a new stadium, later moved I-A and now holds a 5-2 bowl record and has finished in the top 25 three times.

1988 was eons ago. It would be another 5 years before ESPN2 appeared. It would be 8 more years before Fox bought HSE and turned it into Fox SW. Really a different era.