Put Up Or Shut Up, Dudes And Dudettes....

Green Grenade II

I am sick and tired, and so is my XZXX!!# wife. She tells me that Coach Dodge needs to know we believe in him just like Shramm and Murchison believed in Landry,

when everyone wanted to fire him. Then looked what happened.

So, chill out. IT COULD BE WORSE, RIGHT!

I agree with you, a contract extension would help in recruiting...because the prospective players would know NT is supporting their coach...very few quality HS FB prospects, if any, will come to NT if they don't have any idea who their coach will be. I can see offensive improvements....but until we can recruit some hefty defensive and offensive linemen.

I don't believe a "quality" coach would sign on to a school that wouldn't even give their last coach two seasons to turn a "mess" around. Dodge still has a very high rating among HS coaches and to "FIRE" him in his second season would kill our recruiting ability.

College coaches can't win with 235 offensive linemen (Gil) ...we were playing Gilmore at DT last night...college coaches can't win with 240 and 255 lb DT's. (Gilmore and Charlie Brown)

I won't even take time to rehash the "mess" TD inherited.

I look for Nt to recruit JC at DT and DE this year plus linebackers as our primary targets this year. We have offers to 5 JC DT with another two listing interest in NT 5 of which are listed as 3* as an example with at least one JC LB.

No, it could not be worse. We're 0-6 and have lost by a combined 61 points in our last two Sun Belt games. Coach Dodge has a five-year deal. It would be crazy to extend his contract further until he proves he can coach at this level.

I am sick and tired, and so is my XZXX!!# wife. She tells me that Coach Dodge needs to know we believe in him just like Shramm and Murchison believed in Landry,

when everyone wanted to fire him. Then looked what happened.

There mere fact that he is allowed to coach his full contract at this point, should be enough to show support. No way you give him an extention.

Half a decade's contract without any results so far is pretty supportive. As long as things are rolling fairly smoothly by then, extend the contract. But if the naysayers turn out to be correct and all 5 years end up the way the last 1 1/2 have, a contract extension would just be silly.

Edited by JesseMartin

And if we extend Dodge we are also extending RV...showing that we have confidence in our AD as well.

I think RV's tenure here has as much to do with the stadium project and the basketball team's season as it does Dodge. If the stadium gets approved and basketball plays well, that ought to buy him more time bringing along Coach Dodge's program.

We would get national publicity for being the most ignorant university in the nation for rewarding a coach who has performed well below his expections, a contract extension.

1-16 in Division I Football and 0-6 in his second year= A contract extension.....

We are NOT an ignorant university. Blame it on me, not OUR school. SO THERE! Go eat a sanwich of humility with mustard!!!!

You have to give a coach at least 4-5 years to turn around a program. Dodge had Dickey's kids last year. This year is the first year with any of his recruits.

I will not call for a new coach till Dodge has a full class of his recruits and one year to show progress with them. Anything less then that and the next coach will have the same problems and we muddle through another several seasons of losing football.

You have to give a coach at least 4-5 years to turn around a program. Dodge had Dickey's kids last year. This year is the first year with any of his recruits.

I will not call for a new coach till Dodge has a full class of his recruits and one year to show progress with them. Anything less then that and the next coach will have the same problems and we muddle through another several seasons of losing football.

Show me how many schools are willing to wait that long anymore. You're reasons seem fair, but realistically many programs don't agree with that anymore.

On the other side, how many schools dumped their coach after only 3 years and did fine with their next hire? Ya'll act like the UNT world will end if he is gone early.

Again, I'm not calling for his head. Just pointing out how times have changed.

Show me how many schools are willing to wait that long anymore. You're reasons seem fair, but realistically many programs don't agree with that anymore.

On the other side, how many schools dumped their coach after only 3 years and did fine with their next hire? Ya'll act like the UNT world will end if he is gone early.

Completely agree. 4-5 years is WAY too long to wait and see if your coach is the right guy or not. You just do not have that kind of time these days. If you find out a coach is not right after 4-5 years and fire him...then when you hire your next coach you are going to expect another 4-5 years? Dude that is like a decade wasted! I am still willing to handle 1 more season of Dodge after this but if there is not significant improvement he needs to get fired right away.

I don't believe that this is the time to make a decision of any type regarding his contract. At the end of the 2009 season, let's see where we are. At that time we might want to make a decision to extend him or to let him go, but we certainly do not want to make that decision today.

I do understand the idea of showing solidarity and support for Dodge and if his contract was up in the year or two I'd understand but he's still got 3 years left on the deal. Any new deal now I feel would include and unearned raise and would increase any potential buyout if things don't turn around over the next couple years. I still believe in Todd Dodge and think things will get turned around but I do want to see some improvement on the field before extending his original deal. I'm willing to give him 4 years unquestioned if things are looking up at that point extend him before his last year if not we have to consider cutting bait.

Completely agree. 4-5 years is WAY too long to wait and see if your coach is the right guy or not. You just do not have that kind of time these days. If you find out a coach is not right after 4-5 years and fire him...then when you hire your next coach you are going to expect another 4-5 years? Dude that is like a decade wasted! I am still willing to handle 1 more season of Dodge after this but if there is not significant improvement he needs to get fired right away.

The top BCS schools are in the news weekly if not daily. They can get away with expecting instant results from a new coach.

I feel good when UNT makes it on the crawler at the bottom of the screen on ESPN. It is vary rare UNT makes news on major sports outlets. So Notre Dame can get away with firing Willingham and hiring Weis expecting immediate results...BECAUSE THEY ARE NOTRE DAME. Texas did the same with Brown. Oklahoma with Stoops. LSU, USC, Ohio State, Michigan. The list goes on.

I do not recall exactly (but I am sure someone will) but the Todd Dodge hiring made a small segment of ESPN Sports Center one day only. In the Dallas area it made news because of Southlake Carroll and UNT. I doubt it made much news outside the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

UNT is not in the same situation as a BCS school. Such is the life of a mid-major. You HAVE to be patient. Otherwise UNT will be ranked 119 perpetually waiting for a coach to do the highly improbable.

Or UNT can fork out mega cash (10X or more Dodge money) and hire a top flight coach. Tommy Bowden is on the market from Clemson. In the 1970's I wanted NT to hire Woody Hayes after he left Ohio State.

And you think students will complain about adding $7/hr for athletic fees for a new stadium....

Edited by gksmith