It Is Time To Begin The Next Coach Discussion

shaft

The Dodge coaching era includes the worst start in school history and some of the school's biggest blowouts.

2-16 is not acceptable.

I'm a big believer in benchmarks, and if Dodge can get the team to go 2-10, then I say give him one more chance for a winning season next year. But it does not look like a two win season is possible and it is time to begin the next coach discussion.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shaft--

It will be your responsibility to:(1) "find" all available coaches who will be willing to accept this position, (2) How much cash they want and how much the BOR is willing to approve.

Shaft, you are our hope on finding this info....we are depending on you.

Evidently, you are one of the RATS who jumped ship.....dude, just keep on swimming.....and swimming.....and swimming.

Dude, the coaches aint the problem.....

Lots of injured players.

Lots of Freshmen and Sophmores

Lots of players who are not that talented.

Are you one of the posters that once posted on that vile "Scotty's Board" a couple of three years ago???

This board is quickly becoming the reincarnation of that board.

No, we have a long way to go to match the sarcastic humor of the old "Moan and Groan" board.

On the point of the thread, of course it is not time to change head coaches. Special teams coaching needs to be seriously evaluated at the end of the year. On Defense, Deloach has done enough in the past for to show he can do probably do something in the future.

Shaft--

It will be your responsibility to:(1) "find" all available coaches who will be willing to accept this position, (2) How much cash they want and how much the BOR is willing to approve.

Evidently, you are one of the RATS who jumped ship.....dude, just keep on swimming.....and swimming.....and swimming.

Lots of injured players.

Are you one of the posters that once posted on that vile "Scotty's Board" a couple of three years ago???

Can we quit bashing the players!!!!

TD recruited a majority of the starters now, so basically you're bashing the coach.

The Dodge coaching era includes the worst start in school history and some of the school's biggest blowouts.

2-16 is not acceptable.

I'm a big believer in benchmarks, and if Dodge can get the team to go 2-10, then I say give him one more chance for a winning season next year. But it does not look like a two win season is possible and it is time to begin the next coach discussion.

While dodge may deserve criticism.... i think next year would be the time to start calling for heads to roll.

Shaft--

Lots of injured players.

Coach Dodge did call tow run plays (each averaged 2.5 yards ) in a row and burned two timeouts (our only time outs) in a row right before halftime (with 35 seconds left to ply) when we got the turnover and on ULL's 35 yard line.

That hurt us, and that was all Coach Dodge; but I still got his 6!

I finally saw a reason for optimism last night. I don't know where the offense was the first five games of this season, but it returned last night. As for the defense...no comment. We need speed, size and, above all, we need to learn to tackle all over again.

We're a bad football team. Dodge still has some learning to do but I'm not giving up yet. I think the motivation is starting to show but our team still lacks confidence. If the offense continues to gel like they did last night, we may be able to outscore one or two teams this season. I think our defense is just going to be overmatched against every FBS school we play. We'll have some defensive highlights but we'll still be killed by the big plays because we lack the necessary speed and ability to make the open field tackles.

To fire Dodge now and scrap everything this team has been learning for the last season and a half is a sure way to guarantee we will be a bad football team for another two years. That being said, I cringe each week I see SMU develop and improve under June Jones...but we can not even find the support to fund a new stadium so there is no way in Hell we'd be able to find the funds to pay a coach's salary in the range of what Jones is making.

Maybe we can get Pat Hill ;) . If you read the Bark Board you'd swear he was up for firing at this year's end. I'm getting frustrated, but I saw some improvement FINALLY last night, but it wasn't anything we could have done last year. I will support Dodge and Co. if we can build on this for the rest of this year and make at least 5 W's next year. GMG!

Maybe we can get Pat Hill ;) . If you read the Bark Board you'd swear he was up for firing at this year's end. I'm getting frustrated, but I saw some improvement FINALLY last night, but it wasn't anything we could have done last year. I will support Dodge and Co. if we can build on this for the rest of this year and make at least 5 W's next year. GMG!

The "improvement" I saw last night was about as good as what we witnessed early on last year. While an improvement over the last weeks, it's nothing to get me excited.

show me it through the end of the year

Dodge will take the Mean Green through its first winless season in history. At that time, the cries for his departure from our program will get louder.

To the people who thought we improved so much last night: We beat ULL at home last season, this season we allowed 59 points, would have been 66 but ULL downed the ball at our 4 yeard line on first down, all at Fouts Field last night. What game were yall watching yesterday night????

We have been blown out in every single game this season, we were never close in any of time. Also, we have allowed 13 points a game and allow at least 7 touchdowns per game against any opponent before the opponent runs out the clock.

Edited by UNT_playmaker

Get real people a coach gets a minimum of 3-4 years if you don't understand that I am sorry, especially taking over a piss poor team.

No one is happy.

You know, when Mack Brown was at North Carolina he won exactly two games his first two seasons. Season three he went 6-4-1. Season four 7-4. And season five 9-3 and on to win a bowl game.

Brown is heralded as a great recruiter. I've heard Dodge is pretty good at it too. So to wait 3 seasons or honestly in our case 4 for things to really start coming about is not much to ask.

You know, when Mack Brown was at North Carolina he won exactly two games his first two seasons. Season three he went 6-4-1. Season four 7-4. And season five 9-3 and on to win a bowl game.

Brown is heralded as a great recruiter. I've heard Dodge is pretty good at it too. So to wait 3 seasons or honestly in our case 4 for things to really start coming about is not much to ask.

True, but he had been in the college ranks for 15 years leading up to that, and had taken Tulane from nowhere to a bowl season. He also didn't bring in all high school assistants to help him.

Thank you for this comment. It helps to put things into perspective. Let's get off Dodge's back and let him work through this. He was served a shit sandwich when he started coaching here and unfortunately has to finish his plate before he can move on (and poop the poop). Let's give him time to digest... ;)

Actually I think you are both right. Teams in transition are in a world of their own. They are not eligible for either bowls or FCS playoffs. But if a FBS teams beats a transitional FBS team, the win can always count as a FBS win. If a FBS team beats a FCS team, then there are limits on how that win can be counted for purposes of getting 6 wins to be bowl eligible.

It confusing, especially so if you try to type FBS and FCS instead of 1A and 1AA.

True, but he had been in the college ranks for 15 years leading up to that, and had taken Tulane from nowhere to a bowl season. He also didn't bring in all high school assistants to help him.

True that too. But with NT there are no apples to apples comparisons. Just wanted to show that even the best coaches struggle early at historically apathetic football programs.

Which brings us to Hayden Fry - the closest thing to an apple we have. He came in and went 5-5-1 his first season. His next season he backslid to 2-7-2. Perhaps there is a Sophomore slump?