Harvard Gets $125 Million, Record-high Individual Donation

gangrene

Harvard gets $125 million, record-high individual donation?

Posted: Tuesday, 07 October 2008 7:16PM

Harvard gets $125 million, record-high individual donation

mjw

Cambridge (AP) -- A business school alumnus has given Harvard University its largest individual donation ever -- $125 million to start a bioengineering institute, the school announced Tuesday

The mission of the Hansjorg Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering is to discover the engineering principles nature uses to build living things, then use that information to create devices and technologies to meet medical needs.

"Hansjorg Wyss's vision for the potential inherent in newly emerging areas of bioengineering will allow Harvard to integrate the worlds of biology and engineering to develop nontraditional solutions to seemingly insurmountable challenges," said Provost Steven Hyman

Wyss, an engineer and entrepreneur, earned his MBA from Harvard in 1965. He said Tuesday he was humbled to be able to contribute to an effort he believes will change the course of science and medicine.

"Little did I dream when I began my career in engineering that we would reach a point where engineers and biologists would be using nature's templates to create solutions to our medical and environmental challenges," Wyss said.

The institute will build on the work of the existing Harvard Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering in Cambridge.

The new institute will bring together experts from numerous disciplines, including robotics, biology, computer science and surgery. It will be located in a science complex being built in Boston's Allston neighborhood.

Harvard gets $125 million, record-high individual donation?

Posted: Tuesday, 07 October 2008 7:16PM

Harvard gets $125 million, record-high individual donation

mjw

Cambridge (AP) -- A business school alumnus has given Harvard University its largest individual donation ever -- $125 million to start a bioengineering institute, the school announced Tuesday

The mission of the Hansjorg Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering is to discover the engineering principles nature uses to build living things, then use that information to create devices and technologies to meet medical needs.

"Hansjorg Wyss's vision for the potential inherent in newly emerging areas of bioengineering will allow Harvard to integrate the worlds of biology and engineering to develop nontraditional solutions to seemingly insurmountable challenges," said Provost Steven Hyman

Wyss, an engineer and entrepreneur, earned his MBA from Harvard in 1965. He said Tuesday he was humbled to be able to contribute to an effort he believes will change the course of science and medicine.

"Little did I dream when I began my career in engineering that we would reach a point where engineers and biologists would be using nature's templates to create solutions to our medical and environmental challenges," Wyss said.

The institute will build on the work of the existing Harvard Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering in Cambridge.

The new institute will bring together experts from numerous disciplines, including robotics, biology, computer science and surgery. It will be located in a science complex being built in Boston's Allston neighborhood.

We had one. Maybe not good for $125 million but Mattress Mac donated tons of money to UNT. But after they treated Dickey like $h!t the way they did Mac stood by him and haven't heard a whole lot from him lately. Then again I have been out of the loop since the end of 2006 so I could be mistaken. Personally, if that is why I haven't been hearing much about Mattress Mac lately, I applaud him and completely agree.

We had one. Maybe not good for $125 million but Mattress Mac donated tons of money to UNT. But after they treated Dickey like $h!t the way they did Mac stood by him and haven't heard a whole lot from him lately. Then again I have been out of the loop since the end of 2006 so I could be mistaken. Personally, if that is why I haven't been hearing much about Mattress Mac lately, I applaud him and completely agree.

Please explain how North Texas treated Dickey "like $hit?" Considering how he referred to the fans, what he let the players get away with, trotting the team out in cheap all black uniforms, etc, etc, etc... and considering his overall record was abysmal, I would say his firing was justified, but that's just me.

Oh, and Mattress Mac donated "tons of money to UNT?" He donated a million bucks to the completion of the Athletic Center. I don't believe he ever gave before and I doubt he will give in the future, because Mac was more of a fan of Dickey than he is UNT.

Edited by UNTLifer

Please explain how North Texas treated Dickey "like $hit?" Considering how he referred to the fans, what he let the players get away with, trotting the team out in cheap all black uniforms, etc, etc, etc... and considering his overall record was abysmal, I would say his firing was justified, but that's just me.

Oh, and Mattress Mac donated "tons of money to UNT?" He donated a million bucks to the completion of the Athletic Center. I don't believe he ever gave before and I doubt he will give in the future, because Mac was more of a fan of Dickey than he is UNT.

You are incorrect. Mac will be donating money for the new stadium.

You are incorrect. Mac will be donating money for the new stadium.

I must say that is surprising. I'm glad to hear it. Hope he doesn't threaten to switch it over to another part of the university if it is not spent to his liking.

Harvard FINALLY gets $125 mil, and they're freaking HARVARD. No offense to us, but really...it's Harvard. Getting a few 6 and 7 figures here and there is pretty kick-ass for most other schools, and I foresee more of them in the future.

Just received my current issue of the Oklahoma State Alumni magazine last evening...featured article about several folks giving lots of $$$$$ to OSU starting with Boone Pickens additional $100,000,000 gift folloed by a $57+ million from another couple...featured articles about Garth Brooks (yes, the Garth Brooks) who is a donar and a proud alum (so where are all those UNT music school types that have made it big?????)...and, get this...the State of Oklahoma is matching the donations $ for $!!!!! YIKES!!!! That gives OSU another $300million +!!!!

GOOD for my "other" university, but it saddens me to never see this kind of support for UNT. If I had it,yyou would darn sure see it!!!!! IT starts with the University treating its students well...more like "clients" than "pests" as I was treated as an undergrad at UNT. Boy, what a difference it was the first day I stepped on the OSU campus after completing my undergrad at UNT. I thought ALL universities treated their students like CRAP (as UNT did at the time)...was I ever wrong! What a contarst in styles from the President's Office down to the Union staff!!!! OSU was and IS there for the student. Building loyalty and the "want" to give back to YOUR university starts on DAY ONE as a freshman.

In the past UNT saw students as a Passing Through Pest and treated them that way...I know, I was there.....but, thanks goodness that is changing and has been for several years...still a way to go to get even close to an OSU-like appreciation for students, but it is going in the positive direction...and, I believe itt will continue to do so...

Oh, by the way...the students at OSU recently "TAXED THEMSELVES" to the tune of about $43million in new fees to help add on to the Student Union Complex! That, after already having much higher student athletic fees than UNT!!!!! Gee, go figure...student WANTING to help the University get better!!!!!

FOLKS, it starts NOW...with support from Alumni and friends of UNT. Progress is being made at UNT in building loyalty with students, townies, faculty, staff, etc., etc. But, you can't get there if all you want to do is gripe about this program or that program this team or that team this fee or that fee. YOU HAVE to see the big picture. UNT, for way too long, has been a "little picture" university. That is cahnging, but it takes time. Get with it and help...STAY POSITIVE and support YOUR UNIVERSITY. It is much more enjoyable to be PART OF THE SOLUTION rather than PART OF THE PROBLEM. Compalining about eveything all the time DOES NOT HELP!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!

In addition to building relationships/pride with alumni and future alumni....the university needs to partner up with corporations and get some money through that. The business school, engineering school etc would get a huge huge boost in that and NT would make a much bigger splash and presence in the corporate world especially within the state and region.