The Mess He Inherited

stebo

I would assume from your post that you have access to these film sessions and practice, so based upon that, do you work for the athletic department?

I dont work for the athletic department but you can assume I've been in one of his meetings. After this season ask Thomas or Miller what a joke that guy is.

So, The Startlegram arrives to protect their boy's backside. Laughable.

I would blame Dodge alone for the mess, except that I have a long history of posting where the real blame lies - with the administration and the athletic department. Dodge is a mere symptom of the overall disease - poor and, often, indifferent leadership.

Dear President Bataille:

If you care anything about the UNT athletic department, make cahnges.

Love,

The Fake Lonnie Finch...and Bongo the Monkey Drummer.

Until the administration backs athletics 100% and is serious about having a good presence in the college athletics world....NT will always be mediocre at best.

This is why the Fee increase will be overly important as well as us the alumni once the vote passes begins to dump money into the AD's office to get a stadium and increase the salary of all coaches and not just football.

I am sure, certain actually that RV is in fact securing the donations needed to support a competitive salary.

Right after he secures the money for the other half of our stadium.

'99, I do not know how this program is going to pay for a new stadium, and fund the program as it needs to be funded to be competitive on a yearly basis. I am talking about from the jocks, to academic advisers/tutors, strength coaches, equipment, technical stuff, etc. If Dodge is successful, he will certainly go somewhere else. If he is not, we are going to have to make a big time hire to keep the wheels turning, stadium or no stadium. We are on slippery ground in my opinion.

So, The Startlegram arrives to protect their boy's backside. Laughable.

I would blame Dodge alone for the mess, except that I have a long history of posting where the real blame lies - with the administration and the athletic department. Dodge is a mere symptom of the overall disease - poor and, often, indifferent leadership.

Dear President Bataille:

If you care anything about the UNT athletic department, make cahnges.

Love,

The Fake Lonnie Finch...and Bongo the Monkey Drummer.

We are in agreement, you have an allie.

So, let me see if i understand, based on posts on this thread (and many over the past few months)...

... the administration/AD is the root of the problem. Without adequate commitment and support, we can't compete on a high level and the best we can hope for is mediocrity (which i'm sure we'd all accept right now).

... there's also the generally accepted belief that this recent administration (Pohl/Bataille/RV), despite their shortcomings, is head and shoulders above the previous one (Hurley/Helwig), which paid less, had significantly worse facilities, zero game day atmosphere or promotion, and was basically inferior on every level.

... TTG's research on the latest TY Sports blog bears out what many of us felt was the case all along -- relative to other conferences in the FBS, The Belt has arguably gotten only slightly better if at all, and statistically had its best year in 2002. Statistics bear out the only significant improvement is at the very bottom of the standings, and even if you assume the conference HAS improved as a whole, you have to concede what a razor-thin improvement its been... and based on our OOC record staying stagnant (and never as good as 2002), you would have to argue that every single conference has improved as much as you claim the Belt has in that time, a virtual impossibility.

So... if the conference is marginally better if at all, the current administration is better than the last one by a mile yet still the biggest hindrance to today's team, and in this DRASTICALLY improved climate (great game day atmosphere, bigger salaries, new state of the art athletic center, etc.) "the best we can hope for is mediocrity"... then, quite simply, explain the unprecedented, best in school history, ass-kicking, skull cracking, top 10 ranked defense, back to back national rushing champions, 26-straight conference wins, 4 straight conference championships we just rolled off four short years ago.... yet Dodge may have "to go somewhere else to have success" because he's so hamstrung here??? Really??

I've always said I'll never minimize that team and those accomplishments. That was the best we've ever seen, and I'll bet dollars to donuts it's the best we ever will see. It's a hell of a lot better than most schools have EVER seen. Something doesn't add up here. It's why I keep a relatively low profile around here (much better for my blood pressure and my SARS), and some perspective is needed.

Still, as always, hard as it may be at times, GMG!

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

'99, I do not know how this program is going to pay for a new stadium, and fund the program as it needs to be funded to be competitive on a yearly basis. I am talking about from the jocks, to academic advisers/tutors, strength coaches, equipment, technical stuff, etc. If Dodge is successful, he will certainly go somewhere else. If he is not, we are going to have to make a big time hire to keep the wheels turning, stadium or no stadium. We are on slippery ground in my opinion.

I am sorry Dozer, I should have added my sarcasm tab to that statement I made. I doubt RV can raise any of the money that is needed. I have my views on what should happen as soon as the vote happens, but I am sure they are not shared by many on here.