The Mentality Of An 18 Year Old

stebo

So I have a very good friend with an 18 year old son. When looking for a college, that kid wanted a true college experience and looked around the state for that. I suggested that he give NT a try and after a campus visit - he was hooked. The kid is from Houston and had no idea that NT was as traditional as it is. He is living in the dorm and playing the normal freshman route - video games, dorm food, girls, etc... This kid is much like I was in college - cool that we have a team; but not really that passionate about it. He is also on financial aid so every penny counts to him. My biddy asked him about the stadium this last weekend and he didn't even know about the vote. Now my biddy went to Illinois and played football in college so he knows how much college football can do for a school. His son and his friends all kind of reacted the same way - a little laugh and the question - "Well why should we pay for a stadium for a team that sucks". I know - they wouldn't pay till their senior year.. he explained that to them... they still sarcastically remarked that the football team takes a lot of money and even if it was a million or two or three, they would want that money to be saved to come off of tuition.

What is wrong with this? Well, the two are not tied together in any way. It seems that the educational process is not going well. Also, even though the stadium will not be built (and the fee not in place) until these kids are seniors - they question whether the money is well spent on a team at all (stadium or no stadium). Ok, so I just want to emphasize this to the students that think this is in the bag... you need to work VERY VERY VERY HARD to get informational tables out to every dorm. Have those tables set up for the entire week leading up to the election. Once my buddy explained how a good athletic program could add value to their degrees - these 18 year olds "started" to get it. But it took awhile, and this was his DAD telling him. I cannot stress this enough folks - the mind of the typical 18 year old is very short sighted... they cannot see long term vision. They are worried about what video game is coming out and what chick they are gonna ask out. I also wanted to point out that in this case, the student specifically chose UNT to go to a traditional school - so he isn't some liberal arts pansy (like I was, lol)... he is a business major that came to Denton for the traditional college experience (from Houston) and is living ON CAMPUS in the DORM.

How do you fix it? Education. Get those damn informational tables out and make sure that everyone working them knows his or her stuff. I am very worried that this election will not go through without a serious campaign. Maybe one is planned - but it can't just be sheets of paper passed out or signs. It needs to be people - an army of people - answering questions to the folks that live in the dorms.

p.s. - I would put those tables in strategic locations for obvious reasons.

Edited by stebo

So I have a very good friend with an 18 year old son. When looking for a college, that kid wanted a true college experience and looked around the state for that. I suggested that he give NT a try and after a campus visit - he was hooked. The kid is from Houston and had no idea that NT was as traditional as it is. He is living in the dorm and playing the normal freshman route - video games, dorm food, girls, etc... This kid is much like I was in college - cool that we have a team; but not really that passionate about it. He is also on financial aid so every penny counts to him. My biddy asked him about the stadium this last weekend and he didn't even know about the vote. Now my biddy went to Illinois and played football in college so he knows how much college football can do for a school. His son and his friends all kind of reacted the same way - a little laugh and the question - "Well why should we pay for a stadium for a team that sucks". I know - they wouldn't pay till their senior year.. he explained that to them... they still sarcastically remarked that the football team takes a lot of money and even if it was a million or two or three, they would want that money to be saved to come off of tuition.

What is wrong with this? Well, the two are not tied together in any way. It seems that the educational process is not going well. Also, even though the stadium will not be built (and the fee not in place) until these kids are seniors - they question whether the money is well spent on a team at all (stadium or no stadium). Ok, so I just want to emphasize this to the students that think this is in the bag... you need to work VERY VERY VERY HARD to get informational tables out to every dorm. Have those tables set up for the entire week leading up to the election. Once my buddy explained how a good athletic program could add value to their degrees - these 18 year olds "started" to get it. But it took awhile, and this was his DAD telling him. I cannot stress this enough folks - the mind of the typical 18 year old is very short sighted... they cannot see long term vision. They are worried about what video game is coming out and what chick they are gonna ask out. I also wanted to point out that in this case, the student specifically chose UNT to go to a traditional school - so he isn't some liberal arts pansy (like I was, lol)... he is a business major that came to Denton for the traditional college experience (from Houston) and is living ON CAMPUS in the DORM.

How do you fix it? Education. Get those damn informational tables out and make sure that everyone working them knows his or her stuff. I am very worried that this election will not go through without a serious campaign. Maybe one is planned - but it can't just be sheets of paper passed out or signs. It needs to be people - an army of people - answering questions to the folks that live in the dorms.

p.s. - from past experience I would just suggest one thing - don't bother with Bruce Hall.

This is definitely nothing new to read but its just the reality of the mentality of kids these days in choosing a college.