Fwst College Confidential Blog

FWST

North Texas isn't the only program that has gone through a coaching change and lost players and scholarships. Ask Middle about that? And none of those FACTS helps me understand another FACT as to how we played so much worse against Rice than we did against LSU?

Rick

They have quit trying.. (maybe not all, but a lot of them) ????

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

North Texas isn't the only program that has gone through a coaching change and lost players and scholarships. Ask Middle about that? And none of those FACTS helps me understand another FACT as to how we played so much worse against Rice than we did against LSU?

Rick

You know, the same question occurred to me. One thing did just occur to me; Tulsa and Rice both have the types of offense that really exploit UNT's weaknesses. Lots of passing, with highly mobile quarterbacks. Kind of like what Dodge had going for him in high school: scoring so many points so fast that the other team had to pass almost every play and was thus easy to defend. I think the key is either getting a good pass rush; it might take longer getting secondary players who can cover well and for a long time.

You know, the same question occurred to me. One thing did just occur to me; Tulsa and Rice both have the types of offense that really exploit UNT's weaknesses. Lots of passing, with highly mobile quarterbacks. Kind of like what Dodge had going for him in high school: scoring so many points so fast that the other team had to pass almost every play and was thus easy to defend. I think the key is either getting a good pass rush; it might take longer getting secondary players who can cover well and for a long time.

Our team practices against that kind of offense every single day. I could understand more if we had just played a wishbone team or option team but why can't we defend a spread offense that looks just like ours (less 57 points)?

UNT plays much better against teams that line up and run the ball and pass second. FAU last season was a fine example of that. We can stuff the run but its when teams that have athletes that throw the ball all over the field that UNT has trouble.

Then if we lose this weekend against a run first team, we are in more trouble than I think we are now, and we are already in serious trouble now.

Tina likes facts, too.

She prefers facts that are actually factual, though. But, then again, she is a bit of a stickler.

I had a feeling last night you would look at his "facts" and do a story, I am just sad that it came before the Rice Recap - I am looking forward to that one.

I had to turn the game off late, but did we get close to scoring again there at the end?