What Is Going Through Dodge's Mind Tonight?

Smitty

At this point in his tenure, the much maligned Darrell Dickey had 4 wins, including a road victory over Texas Tech. Dickey would also pick up his 5th win in the next game, so Dodge has to beat FIU just to keep pace.

None of those Dickey wins came over provisional D-1AA teams, either.

He also had only one recruiting class under his belt, thanks to his date-of-hire and the manner in which Simon was let go.

I didn't intend to bring this up today, but since it's Dickey-kicking time, I'd like to put the facts on the table.

If we're lucky, the same thing that was going through Darrell Dickeys mind on the night of 10/6/2001.

We were 0-5, everyone knew that as soon as the formality of losing to MTSU was over the next week, he would be fired mid season.

For whatever reason, maybe something the coaches did, maybe something the players did, probably a mix of both: That team was able to go 29-16 over next 45 games.

Dodge has faced adversity before, a lot more than just losing on a football field. Hopefully this thing gets turned around and turned around soon.

I needed that reminder, so thanks....

We had just lost to LaMo, and were facing a MUTS team that was averaging somewhere around 7+ yards/offensive play (weren't they also undefeated?). Here we are following a humiliating loss, but we're staring down a home game with FIU.

Not the horrible FIU of last year, but also not the sexy blue unicorns every one used to love to hate. Somewhere in the middle.

This team is young. I want to see how they respond to this horrible OOC. We'll see.