What Is Going Through Dodge's Mind Tonight?

Smitty

I really wonder what Todd Dodge is thinking about right now. This has got to be the low point of his career, and he would not be human if he wasn't having some personal doubts.

I wouldn't be surprised if some names weren't going through his head right now:

Steve Spurrier - success in college, failure in the NFL, success in return to college.

GA Moore - legend at 2A, failed at 5A, legend in return to 2A

And of course, Gerry Faust.

And let me just add that it is not time to make a change. It is not time to give up on this.

If we're lucky, the same thing that was going through Darrell Dickeys mind on the night of 10/6/2001.

We were 0-5, everyone knew that as soon as the formality of losing to MTSU was over the next week, he would be fired mid season.

For whatever reason, maybe something the coaches did, maybe something the players did, probably a mix of both: That team was able to go 29-16 over next 45 games.

Dodge has faced adversity before, a lot more than just losing on a football field. Hopefully this thing gets turned around and turned around soon.

If we're lucky, the same thing that was going through Darrell Dickeys mind on the night of 10/6/2001.

We were 0-5, everyone knew that as soon as the formality of losing to MTSU was over the next week, he would be fired mid season.

For whatever reason, maybe something the coaches did, maybe something the players did, probably a mix of both: That team was able to go 29-16 over next 45 games.

Dodge has faced adversity before, a lot more than just losing on a football field. Hopefully this thing gets turned around and turned around soon.

In my head I come back to this.

I wasn't here until that very point, so I can't speak to the mindset up until that point.

We have to allow him the same time as DD right?

In my head I come back to this.

I wasn't here until that very point, so I can't speak to the mindset up until that point.

We have to allow him the same time as DD right?

I stated this another post and will do the same here. This is not the same SBC DD ran all over a few years ago.

I really wonder what Todd Dodge is thinking about right now. This has got to be the low point of his career, and he would not be human if he wasn't having some personal doubts.

I wouldn't be surprised if some names weren't going through his head right now:

Steve Spurrier - success in college, failure in the NFL, success in return to college.

GA Moore - legend at 2A, failed at 5A, legend in return to 2A

And of course, Gerry Faust.

And let me just add that it is not time to make a change. It is not time to give up on this.

*********************************************************************************

I agree. Am I disappointed in our performance against Rice...yes...have I given up on this team NO WAY.

The test of a true North Texas supporter is sticking power through thick and thin as well as during the good times. I know from my 44 years of following NT that there are good and there are bad seasons. I have faith in Todd Dodge and Gary DeLoach that they will be successful at NT...

I believe I heard on the TV of the game NT was playing 22 freshmen and there were several instances in this game where they made freshmen mistakes leading to Rice scores. When Dodge has his leading receiver Fritzgerald receiving punt receptions and he fumbles a punt, when Dodge burned Riley's freshman year, you know Dodge is doing the best that can be done with the players he has. When a new coach inherits a loser team it takes several years to get his new players and system operating correctly and successful.

Its easy to use DD as an example....he had 4 losing seasons before his first winning season...1998...3-8, 1999 2-9, 2000 3-8, 2001 5-7.

I can go back to our beloved Hyden Fry...it took his 5th season before he had his first winning season.

Why not be different and see if we can find some thing that worked....Cam Montgomery scored two rushing TD's and Lance Dunbar had some good runs, even considering our undersized OL I think we found a punt returner in DaWaylon Cook.Eddrick Gilmore had a good game, Nwigwe and Roberson had good games as well , NT had our first two sacks of the year. Can anyone find something good that I haven't mentioned?

I realize our DL is also undersized and does not match the quality and size that Booger Kennedy and his co-harts had. It didn't help when we lost Joseph Miller....I just pray he didn't have a major injury and can return soon. If you listed to the most recent pod cast you will see NT is actively engaged in recruiting some quality JC ..( 6) DTs, and some quality DE's, 4 0f the 6 DT's are rated 3* by Rivals, all have the size and weight we need. Hang in there and support our team fellows.

OldTimer, I'm pretty sure Hayden Fry had a winning record before his 5th season, but I do appreciate your optimism. I'll bleed Mean Green until I die, but I sure shed a lot of that blood tonight.

EDIT: Just looked it up.

1973 North Texas State 5-5-1

1974 North Texas State 2-7-2

1975 North Texas State 7-4

1976 North Texas State 7-4

1977 North Texas State 10-1

1978 North Texas State 9-2

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

The test of a true North Texas supporter is sticking power through thick and thin as well as during the good times. I know from my 44 years of following NT that there are good and there are bad seasons. I have faith in Todd Dodge and Gary DeLoach that they will be successful at NT...

I agree completely.

For those of us some 900 plus fans who were there on this night......:

nmsugame2000.jpg

.....none was sweeter than for the same group who was also there two years later on this night.

nmsuvictory.jpg

It's tough being Mean Green, always has been. This is something that we can and will get through.

Rick

You know it is a sad night when we look to darrell dickey for inspiration

OldTimer, I'm pretty sure Hayden Fry had a winning record before his 5th season, but I do appreciate your optimism. I'll bleed Mean Green until I die, but I sure shed a lot of that blood tonight.

EDIT: Just looked it up.

1973 North Texas State 5-5-1

1974 North Texas State 2-7-2

1975 North Texas State 7-4

1976 North Texas State 7-4

1977 North Texas State 10-1

1978 North Texas State 9-2

I think he meant as head coach

1962 Southern Methodist (TX) 2-8

1963 Southern Methodist (TX) 4-7

1964 Southern Methodist (TX) 1-9

1965 Southern Methodist (TX) 4-5