Thoughts On Fee Going To Unt's Students

UNTflyer

Villarreal got into an animated discussion with George Eberton, who said he is a former UNT professor, after the senate meeting. Eberton said he opposes a fee as a method for building a new stadium.

Former UNT professor? Did he go back to school or what? Wonder what interest he has in all of this? Don't tell me, don't tell me, let me guess:

He was a Journalism professor?

Rick

I have to admit there's a part of me that is in awe of the few who are not only opposed to this, but apparently passionate enough about it to engage in an "animated discussion", (whatever that means)

The general arguments against the stadium are all based on apathy, or "why do we need this?" Never ever can I imagine someone out there trying to argue that this could actually hurt/hinder us? Any of the older alumni care to elaborate on that crowd and their perception? It seems absolutely absurd to me, but there it is: happening in front of RV and Co.

Remember, students are no different from the general population. They vote with a "what have you done for me lately" and how they "feel" at that moment about the issue with little thought about the long term benefits or costs. Therefore, the best thing that could happen for a positive student vote is for the Mean Green to start winning and winning soon. Dodge could truly help himself and the team in terms of a new stadium if they could beat Rice and win 1 or 2 in SBC play over the next few weeks. This gives the students hope and a warm fuzzy feeling inside that will most definitely propel them to vote "yes" for the stadium. The solution is simple: win.

Funny - no sign of Eberton anywhere on Google (through a variety of searches) except this story.

Anyone recognize him or have more luck than me?

Ahh - Ebertin. One paper misspelled his name.

He also has beef with the Cowboys stadium: http://www.nojonestax.com/article.php?op=Print&sid=245

He opposed the Jets stadium as well:

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/news/archives/001219.html

And here:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20...s22letters.html

WTF is with this guy, he's a kinesiology professor yet he opposes every sports project across the country.

It's not that uncommon - a lot of sports management professors make a living doing studies for and against stadiums. What is odd is that a crotchety old biomechanics professor who specializes in clip art dinosaurs chooses to keep throwing his hat in the ring.

He opposed the Jets stadium as well:

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/news/archives/001219.html

And here:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20...s22letters.html

WTF is with this guy, he's a kinesiology professor yet he opposes every sports project across the country.

It sounds like he has general concerns about how money is spent in Texas, in regards to education vs. athletics. More money on academics = better prepared students coming into his classes. He is not against stadiums/facilities, but would prefer it not come out of student pockets.

...So he wants less outside money fueling athletics, but doesn't want the insiders paying for anything. Sounds like a great plan....

You can also interpret in his comments that he thinks we're junior college athletics. Not certain what this man knows/thinks...

I also was unaware that state funds in Texas are prohibited from being spent on junior college football. If they could only apply that same logic to high school football (and the culture that surrounds it in these parts), then the quality and preparedness of students that end up in my classroom would be substantially improved.

It's not that uncommon - a lot of sports management professors make a living doing studies for and against stadiums. What is odd is that a crotchety old biomechanics professor who specializes in clip art dinosaurs chooses to keep throwing his hat in the ring.

I could swear I said something about people coming out of woodwork.

I am still utterly baffled by the ignorance of the students in regards to why we need a new stadium. I mentioned the upcoming ballot to a recent graduate today and encouraged this person to solicit others who are current students to vote in favor of the athletics fee to build the new stadium. The response I got was, "I don't know if it will help (make our team better)." And that was it. :rolleyes: