New Stadium Talk In The Media

drex

It seems to me that the university, both through athletics and through its media relations department, has pretty much set it self up for a terrific fall if they do not build a new stadium. The stadium issue is a bit silly, as I doubt that the university ever asks the question, 'can we afford to build a new dorm or music practice facility or business building, etc.?' If you are a valid functioning univesity you find ways to fund your needs. Now the general public knows we are trying to build a new stadium and failure to do so will really reflect badly on the university.

can north texas afford to NOT build a new stadium?

Of course. But only if you no longer play football. Whether UNT plays FBS, FCS, Division II, III, or NAIA football it cannot afford to do so in Fouts because the stadium is detrimental to the image of the university. It is a giant billboard that screams, old, out-dated, irrelevant to those driving by. A small FCS quality stadium would convey a better image.

Of course. But only if you no longer play football. Whether UNT plays FBS, FCS, Division II, III, or NAIA football it cannot afford to do so in Fouts because the stadium is detrimental to the image of the university. It is a giant billboard that screams, old, out-dated, irrelevant to those driving by. A small FCS quality stadium would convey a better image.

I agree. It's not just the functionality of Fouts that is failing, it is what the image of Fouts sitting there along I-35E conveys to passersby about UNT. Part of the need for a new stadium is for an athletics venue but mostly it's for a boost to the first image visitors will have of UNT = 1952 or 2011?