H-town Status

FireFightnJoey

I finally got some temporary internet service. I made it out of the storm ok with minimal damage to my house, very minor leak and roof repair. Luckily no trees through the middle of it! We are finally slowing down with fire department calls. The first 48 hours was incidents you would expect with a major storm, but since then it is just high call volume for routine calls. We do not respond to any call when wind is greater than 55 mph. We only respond to incidents with IDL (imminent danger to life) regardless if it was a structure fire, etc. However, since everyone is "hunkered down" in their homes for shelter, these were IDLs. We did have structure fires, try fighting a fire in 40+ mph winds. I am still without power, but life is slowly getting back to normal. I posted the below info on the Rice thread.

But I moved it to its own thread so more people will view it when making the decision to come down here. The city is in disarray. Demand outweighs supply lopsidedly. Over half the residents are still without power. The game may still be played, but it might not be the best idea to come down here. We still have an entire week and things can change. But here it is for what it is worth.

I only have temporary internet access. So, you may not hear from me for a while. Take care.

======================================================================

H-Town is slowly getting back to normal. Power is a major issue as half the residents are still without power including me. It could be sometime next week before mine is turned back on. I haven't looked into it, but according to the statements on this thread, the game will most likely still be played. Which is good because I want to tailgate and watch some Mean Green without traveling for once!

Things you need to worry about.

1. Gas. It is a tough commodity right now. Most places have it now, but they limit the amount you get. In some cases as low as $40 at a time. By next week, this might not be an issue. I've seen lines that were over a couple hours wait.

2. Food. Most places are closing between 6 and 8:00 p.m. They are just now getting cold foods back into play.

3. Curfew. Not too big of a deal, not really enforcing it. Midnight to 6 a.m. in the city.

I am in the NW area of the county. So, things here could be different than other places. A lot of people are still having to go to the PODs (Points of Distribution) for ice, water, MREs. So, the demand is higher than the supply.

The game is another week away. Most companies have restricted travel to Houston because of this issue. But a lot changes in a week.

All of the roads are passable and people are starting to go back to work. Mostly dealing with incoveniences. I hunt and spend a lot of time at the deer lease/camping with no power and limited supplies. So, I am not that affected. I also have the fire dept with full power and food for its members.

Galveston/Bolivar Penisula is a whole different story. The further south you go, these issues become more and more prevelant.

UNTLifer is in the same boat. He lives about 3 blocks from me in the same neighborhood.

Just learned our zip code, mine and FFJoey's, may be out of power until Thursday. Gas is easier to find, as are other goods, but we are in far NW Houston near Tomball. It is much worse south of here.

My family left for my inlaws yesterday and will be gone through the weekend due to no power and school is out here until Wednesday. I am thankful though to only be without power when so many have absolutely nothing.