Wright Waters - No Bcs Road Games For Less Than &1million

MeanGreen61

Posted on the muts board by SpaceRaider

excerpt from Orlando Sentinel:

...Florida Atlantic received $900,000 to open the season at Texas, its biggest payday ever.

Florida International turned down an offer of $1.2 million to play at an SEC team next year.

And Sun Belt Commissioner Wright Waters told the conference's athletic directors not to even consider an offer to play a road game against a BCS conference team for less than $1 million.

"A million is cheap to those guys," Waters said. "They ought to be paying us $2 million."

While the overall economy is in tatters, it hasn't affected the price of so-called "money games" in college football, where teams from non-BCS conferences are brought in to fill out the nonconference schedules of teams from the Big 12, Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big East and Pac-10.

For FAU, the price hike is good news, because now the Owls will need to play two games to get enough money to help cover expenses, rather than the three or four they used to play.

"We are in a good position," FAU Athletic Director Craig Angelos said. "It is a seller's market. We are in demand, and that helps drive up the price."......

ARTICLE

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college...0,5818159.story

Based on what I've read on the other sections of the board, shouldn't we all strive to charge what the market allows? We shouldn't extort the rich just because they are rich - that's not very nice.

I'd also like to say hi to my friend jack.

Thats a good policy but I think body bag games are pretty important money for most if not all SBC school and conferences alike. If the AD's for all the Sunbelt schools basically align and adopt the stance that Waters wants then I am not sure BCS schools will be willing to pay that kind of money. There is still the MAC, CUSA, MWC, and D1AA schools. Not to mention that if it is a powerhouse then there are the lower level BCS school such as the Oregon States, Dukes of the world.

Edited by Green Mean

I think there is a method to the madness.

Remember the last time three AQ schools finished undefeated? The one that missed the BCS championship was the one who played a I-AA.

If taking a stance like that means fewer Sun Belt teams play three road money games or two road money games, they are likely replacing those games with home/home deals.

Long-term if we are replacing a trip to LSU or Ohio State with a home/home deal with UAB or Ball State we increase our win percentage and follow a path designed long-term to improve our fan bases.

If Rutgers or Mississippi State or Kansas State can no longer afford a buy game then they go for 2 for 1 or home/home. They might do that with someone from another AQ league, but they might figure their odds are better at Arkansas State or North Texas than at Ole Miss, Iowa State or Cincinnati.

If we can get those games, our TV package looks better. Troy had two Big XII home games picked up and FIU as bad as they are get on ESPNU for USF.

I think there is a method to the madness.

Remember the last time three AQ schools finished undefeated? The one that missed the BCS championship was the one who played a I-AA.

If taking a stance like that means fewer Sun Belt teams play three road money games or two road money games, they are likely replacing those games with home/home deals.

Long-term if we are replacing a trip to LSU or Ohio State with a home/home deal with UAB or Ball State we increase our win percentage and follow a path designed long-term to improve our fan bases.

If Rutgers or Mississippi State or Kansas State can no longer afford a buy game then they go for 2 for 1 or home/home. They might do that with someone from another AQ league, but they might figure their odds are better at Arkansas State or North Texas than at Ole Miss, Iowa State or Cincinnati.

If we can get those games, our TV package looks better. Troy had two Big XII home games picked up and FIU as bad as they are get on ESPNU for USF.

What's your major? You fit the profile of some sort of analyst to a tee.

What's your major? You fit the profile of some sort of analyst to a tee.

Arkstfan is the giant red and black spider in the middle of this thing we call the world wide web; constantly monitoring threads in every direction for the slightest hint of movement.

In his spare time, he's a lawyer.

I think WW is real good commissioner, but I think holding out for a mil is bad idea.

There was an article from Austin posted on here a few weeks back that detailed show shocked the BCS community was over the UT/FAU payout. A&M's attitude of nothing over $500k may be a little outdated, but forcing the BCS conferences' hand might backfire into more d1aa/fcs teams.

It wasn't that long ago that these schools were charging $20 a ticket to the 75,000 people coming to the game. They'd pay an opponent $150,000 to $300,000 out of the $1.5 million they would gross and they would net $1.2 million to $1.35 million.

Then they were charging $30 a ticket to the $75,000 and paying $300,000 to $500,000. They'd net $1.75 million to $1.95 million.

TAMU is charging $50 a ticket. If they pay an opponent $1 million they net $2.75 million.

Texas charged $65 for FAU and grossed $6.3 million for the game and netted $5.4 million for the game.

All those figures assume all ticket prices are the lowest publicly available price and we know there are more expensive seats

A school like Texas will net more than $30 million just off ticket sales and roughly $10 million from the Big 12 (includes NCAA basketball money, TV and BCS). That's all before any donations, any sponsorships, any concessions, parking, merchandise licensing, selling any tickets priced higher than the minimum, or tickets in any other sport.

To me holding out is a simple equation.

If we get the money, we are better off.

If we don't get the money and play more similar teams home and home, we are better off.

It is a great move. Schools like Kansas State will schedule more 2-1 deals with schools like NT.If they don't want to pay it, they simply play a return game. It is also good that the AD's don't have to set the rule - a lot of them want to be AD's at BCS autobid school someday so this gtes them out of being the bad guy. Worst case scenario, we stop these "canned hunt" games and have a chance to start the season with e better record. Best case scenario - we only have to play 1 or 2 of these every other year and more BCS autobid teams come to Denton... If they don't want to play or pay - we are forced to work out deals with TCU, SMU, Tulsa, Rice, etc... geez, that would suck /sarcasm off.

It is a great move. Schools like Kansas State will schedule more 2-1 deals with schools like NT.If they don't want to pay it, they simply play a return game. It is also good that the AD's don't have to set the rule - a lot of them want to be AD's at BCS autobid school someday so this gtes them out of being the bad guy. Worst case scenario, we stop these "canned hunt" games and have a chance to start the season with e better record. Best case scenario - we only have to play 1 or 2 of these every other year and more BCS autobid teams come to Denton... If they don't want to play or pay - we are forced to work out deals with TCU, SMU, Tulsa, Rice, etc... geez, that would suck /sarcasm off.

Excellent points Stebo. Hopefully the end result will be less "canned hunt" games.