Nasty Enough?

LongJim

Probably many of you saw Washington/OU highlights, or the game. 0U's DeMarcus Granger jumped across the LOS and hit a Washington lineman as OL was flagged for false start. He knocks the guard to the ground, and is flagged for a PF. Next play, 3 UW linemen pancake him, and deal out some payback, and now he is out for 4-5 weeks.

I don't condone injuring a guy. I DO condone the aggressive play from both sides, and want to see the same attitude from the MG. Thoughts?

Edited by LongJim

Probably many of you saw Washington/OU highlights, or the game. 0U's DeMarcus Granger jumped across the LOS and hit a Washington lineman as OL was flagged for false start. He knocks the guard to the ground, and is flagged for a PF. Next play, 3 UW linemen pancake him, and deal out some payback, and now he is out for 4-5 weeks.

I don't condone injuring a guy. I DO condone the aggressive play from both sides, and want to see the same attitude from the MG. Thoughts?

Even though the Mean Green moniker came into being to describe our nasty defense, there is no reason why it can't apply to offensive players as well.....most notably O-linemen. However, we need to get a bit deeper at the position before we start getting too nasty.

Edited by SilverEagle

A close friend of mine was on the O-line for a prestigious HS in Texas. During one particular game a defensive lineman kept hitting his QB late. Not really late enough to get flagged every time, but enough for many members of the O-Line to tell him, "You better quit hitting our QB late." One more time was all it took. One guy stood him up, and the other one rolled his knee.

I'm not saying I condone it, but I would heed a warning form a 300 lb pissed off lineman. They are a tight nit bunch.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!

I didn't see anything wrong with that at all. There was not an illegal chop block and he wasn't setup with a hi/low. He was tripled teamed and got taken to the woodshed. However, if those lineman had played with that type of attitude from the opening kickoff maybe Washington would have some points on the board. You've got to be motivated from the beginning not just when something bad happens.

A close friend of mine was on the O-line for a prestigious HS in Texas. During one particular game a defensive lineman kept hitting his QB late. Not really late enough to get flagged every time, but enough for many members of the O-Line to tell him, "You better quit hitting our QB late." One more time was all it took. One guy stood him up, and the other one rolled his knee.

I certainly hope Lefty NEVER teaches or condones such a cowardly act and if the past is any indication he won't. He will continue to teach our guys to fire out across the line and whip the opponents ass like men by hitting them legally and driving them to the ground. That's how O'l Green Guts did it(See the '01 Texas game in '02 for a fine example). That's how Ian Hobbs did it, that's how Andy Brewster did it, that's how J.R. Randle did it. And considering the protection this new group gave Gio against LSU I expect they too will learn to play like Lefty expects them to play and we will start to see some of the pancaking that we became so accustomed to during the bowl years..

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I certainly hope Lefty NEVER teaches or condones such a cowardly act and if the past is any indication he won't. He will continue to teach our guys to fire out across the line and whip the opponents ass like men by hitting them legally and driving them to the ground. That's how O'l Green Guts did it(See the '01 Texas game in '02 for a fine example). That's how Ian Hobbs did it, that's how Andy Brewster did it, that's how J.R. Randle did it. And considering the protection this new group gave Gio against LSU I expect they too will learn to play like Lefty expects them to play and we will start to see some of the pancaking that we became so accustomed to during the bowl years..

Rick

Lefty would have yanked us out of the game, cussed us, spit at us, and questioned our sexual preference. He is/was a great coach, and taught us to kick their asses within the rules of the game. I am glad he is back in Denton, give him time to work his magic.

Lefty would have yanked us out of the game, cussed us, spit at us, and questioned our sexual preference. He is/was a great coach, and taught us to kick their asses within the rules of the game. I am glad he is back in Denton, give him time to work his magic.

He will have time. He is great coach for this team.

DeLoach and Leftwich pretty much get a complete pass from me.

Welcome to the board, man.

I wanted to get back to the point of the post, because I think it's gotten lost in the debate on deliberately injuring someone--which is bush activity. The injury to Granger was incidental and unfortunate, and I don't condone injuring or coaching to injure.

What I was trying to ask is what do you guys think about the DL playing in an aggressive manner like Granger did--whacking and trying to intimidate the OL physically on every play. And for UW's three linemen to answer in a manner that let Granger and 0U know that they will not be intimidated?

I believe that mind-set is necessary for dominant line play, and for UNT's line play to get back to what it once was.

I wanted to get back to the point of the post, because I think it's gotten lost in the debate on deliberately injuring someone--which is bush activity. The injury to Granger was incidental and unfortunate, and I don't condone injuring or coaching to injure.

What I was trying to ask is what do you guys think about the DL playing in an aggressive manner like Granger did--whacking and trying to intimidate the OL physically on every play. And for UW's three linemen to answer in a manner that let Granger and 0U know that they will not be intimidated?

I believe that mind-set is necessary for dominant line play, and for UNT's line play to get back to what it once was.

What Granger did was somewhat cheap. It is rare for an O lineman to false start and level the d lineman, so why do d lineman do it? D lineman always have had the excuse of the offensive line flinching or moving to fire out and pop them, until it became a personal foul. If the lineman that got knocked on his can didnt like it, he should have manned up and leveled Granger on the next play, and the next. wash and repeat.

there is always ways to get in your opponent's head, but the best way is to do it with your actions during the play. "Demoralize" them was the term we used. every play was meant to hurt them. Even a d lineman's play can frusterate the o line, even more so than cheap shit before and after the whistles. One's attitude during the play should be the only factor in causing intimidation.

and thanks for the welcome fellas

Oh boo hoo for Granger....He had it coming...If he wants to dish it out, he better be willing to take it.....What comes around goes around...Cry me a river. Any more cliches to add? I don't have a problem with the OL sticking up for themselves. I didn't see the game. Did Granger start it with his cheap shot or was that an escalation of something earlier?

Keith