Matthew Smith Commits.....

Marty

I think greenjoe has a valid point...man, why in the world would he sign Up there"...it's cold up there! I predict he will leave and head back...perhaps to UNT. heck, he really hasn't signed a thing as yet...has he? It was a "commitment"...doesn't mean all that much...as we have seen in recent years!

Kadeem Coleby 6-9/225 Humble (TX) Christian Life Louisiana Tech

Jarred Shaw 6-10/210 Dallas (TX) Carter

Gordon Ball 6-7/- Missouri City (TX) Elkins

Josef Brown 6-9/- Houston (TX) Wheatley

Corey Garrett 6-8/225 Center (TX) High School Stephen F. Austin

Rundell Mauge 7-0/215 Fort Worth (TX) North Crowley

Adrick McKinney 6-7/- Fort Worth (TX) Trimble Tech

Only two of the listed centers by texashoops.com have committed.

Edited by GreenBat

Rundell Mauge 7-0/215 Fort Worth (TX) North Crowley

Only two of the listed centers by texashoops.com have committed.

g108190353317b1d2cf5bbb682fb90e4ef2c2a49

Mauge becoming center of attention

Seven-foot Putnam Science Academy center Rundell Mauge, a native of Trinidad came to Connecticut via Texas where, despite playing only junior varsity basketball, some Division-I scouts were coming around to see him play.

“When he gets to the next level, they’re going to beef him up and will continue to do the skill work,” Espinosa said of his rail-thin center, who weighs only 210 pounds. “He has so much potential. He’s very athletic, can use both hands and he’s working hard, but he has a long way to go.”

That means as far as the future for the senior, junior college, here he comes.

Because of his moving around from Trinidad to Texas to Connecticut in a short time span, Mauge is not eligible to play Division-I basketball as of yet.

“He isn’t going to get through the NCAA clearing house. He’s not eligible for Division-I or Division-II and he’s a low Division-I player right now,” Espinosa said. “The NCAA put in a new rule where you can only get one core class per year so if he goes post-graduate, he can only get one core class and he’s more than one short. There were a lot of sketchy PG programs where (a player) is nine core credits short and they would get nine (in one year) and move on to Division-I. It would be a waste for him to go PG, he needs to redshirt at a junior college.”

“I’m seven core credits short, so I have to go juco,” Mauge said.

But those Division-I programs are willing to watch and wait.

“I have Texas Christian, Texas, Georgetown and Baylor interested in me,” he said.

While he works on his academics, he’s also planning to continue to focus on his athletic development.

“I’m working on my jump shot and some more of those up-and-under moves in the post,” Mauge said.

He also needs to probably eat a little more, although Espinosa has enjoyed the ride just the way he is.

“It’s been fun,” Espinosa said. “He’s a pleasure to coach, never gives us any problems on or off the court, and he works hard. In your lifetime, you don’t coach many 7-footers, especially athletic 7-footers, so it’s a privilege.”

Edited by ADLER