An Sbc Question

oldguystudent

The Sun Belt does only have one Auto bid to the New Orleans Bowl. However, that doesn't enitirley limit the SBC from bowls. There are too many bowls in the FBS to begin with, so many Bowls cannot fill a spot with eligible teams. This is definitely good for our conference. The last 3 years, I'm almost certain the Sun Belt sent 2 teams to Bowls.

The SBC commissioner is supposedly working on getting another tie-in, but I've been hearing that for 3 years now.

Edited by Got5onIt

Guest GrayEagleOne

The SBC has only one guaranteed bid, that to send its champion to the New Orleans Bowl, We are on standby to three other bowls in the event the tie-ins cannot fulfill their obligation. Those are the bowls in Shreveport, Birmingham and St. Petersburg.

I just looked at last year's standings and counted 72 teams with 6 wins or more in FBS. Now there's 68 slots to fill? Good lord. Eventually every FBS team will be in a bowl game, no?

As a side, I'd love to go to Shreveport for the Independence bowl if an SBC team got in. The stadium there looks like it's in worse shape than Fouts, but when the game's over, one can go throw a few dice around and throw back some frosty beverages until 6 in the morning. God, I can't wait until I start working again and have disposable income!

I just looked at last year's standings and counted 72 teams with 6 wins or more in FBS. Now there's 68 slots to fill? Good lord. Eventually every FBS team will be in a bowl game, no?

As a side, I'd love to go to Shreveport for the Independence bowl if an SBC team got in. The stadium there looks like it's in worse shape than Fouts, but when the game's over, one can go throw a few dice around and throw back some frosty beverages until 6 in the morning. God, I can't wait until I start working again and have disposable income!

I hear this thought of too many bowl games time and time again. If that is true, which I think it is not, why does a solid team like Troy get left out of bowling? If you really want better bowls prohibit any team that finishes worse than 4th in its conference from being allowed to participate in a bowl.

I think there are too many bowl games. College football is the only sport where over have the field makes it to the post season (most sports allow a 1/3 of the field into the post season.)

But I guess as long as there is a market for this many bowl games who is to say there are too many.

Instead of an a cut off at #4, I think the NCAA could improve the bowl situation if if didn't allow d1aa/fcs wins to count towards bowl eligibility.

I hear this thought of too many bowl games time and time again. If that is true, which I think it is not, why does a solid team like Troy get left out of bowling? If you really want better bowls prohibit any team that finishes worse than 4th in its conference from being allowed to participate in a bowl.

Just to be clear, I never stated any opinion on the number of bowl games. I simply looked at the number of eligible teams vs the number of slots, and going by last year's numbers only 4 eligible teams would be left out. I merely find it surprising.

On one hand, they do keep adding bowls, which of course would be more exciting in a playoff situation. On the other hand, they also keep adding teams to the FBS, so the percentage will probably hold fairly steady in this media circus.